gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 19, 2024, 11:05:07 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Microsoft Offer Free Protection Software
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Microsoft Offer Free Protection Software  (Read 641 times)

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
Microsoft Offer Free Protection Software
« on: November 20, 2008, 08:46:28 am »
In the usual effort to gather a market, Microsoft are giving away yet another peice of "loss leader" software.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7737520.stm

In a surprise move, Microsoft has announced it will offer a free anti-virus and security solution from the second half of next year.
It will stop selling OneCare, its all-in-one security and PC management service, from the end of June 2009.

The new software, code-named Morro, will be a no-frills program suited to smaller and less powerful computers.
The software will be free to download and will support Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7.
Since its launch in May 2006, OneCare has garnered less than 2% of the security software market share.

I fully expect them to reintroduce a payment system when the numbers pick up and we are all aware of how microsoft slip in their own brands of malware such as the famous WGA nagscreen when it suits them, this offering ceratinly looks prime as a vehicle for such things and in my view should be avoided.

Offline Cobra

• Forum Member
  • I'm not me.
Re: Microsoft Offer Free Protection Software
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 04:15:40 am »
I have an answer for free protection as well: Remove Internet Explorer and Outlook Express.
Downloading is an addiction I do not want to give up.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
Re: Microsoft Offer Free Protection Software
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 05:05:24 pm »
@cobra: cant remove IE and outlook from 2k and up due to application dependancies (even the add/remove programs in the control panel uses IE)

even winmx uses parts of IE......

want better security... switch to linux or wait for reactos (open source windows clone) to be finished...

there is no way to -really- get those two nasty apps out... (cos as soon as you do another app will complain)

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Microsoft Offer Free Protection Software

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx