gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 20, 2024, 01:01:41 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Other WinMX Help  |  WinMX locking network adapter
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: WinMX locking network adapter  (Read 2655 times)

Joey P

WinMX locking network adapter
« on: November 30, 2008, 07:09:15 am »
Sometimes it happens after WinMX runs for 5 minutes, sometimes after 5 hours, sometimes not at all.  What happens is that I start up Winmx and go about my life, upon returning to my computer I'll find that I can't access the internet.  The internet will work fine from other computers and my Vonage phone, resetting the modem and router does nothing.  I found the only way to remedy the situation was to reset my computer.*  What was really odd was that I could go to 192.168.1.1 just fine, I could see that I had an IP address, but for some reason couldn't get out to the internet.  I know, seems like a modem or router issue, but it was only the computer running winmx that had the problem, and resetting the computer always works to get back online.
Any thoughts on this?

PS, Windows update downloaded a new driver dated 10/16/2008 so that's up to date.

*I recently found that disabling and re-enabling the network adapter brought the internet back up.

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
Re: WinMX locking network adapter
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 09:52:14 pm »
Hi Joey,

Honestly this does sound like a modem/router issue, and infact Im willing to bet that if you dont run WinMX you'll have the same oddness occur, in my extensive WinMX knowledge base in brain, I can think of nothing about how WinMX Operates that would cause a network connection issue, the only remotely close thing would be to make sure your not using a Hosts file fix to connect your WinMX as the RIAA can cause enough disruption (if your on primary on WinMX) to actually cause loss of internet.

Did you get your patch from  https://patch.winmxconex.com or does your update bar say 'WinMX Community Patch 1.0 Thanks Eagle' at the top?

If not get a patch from this site listed above and let that run for a few days.
If you already have this patch then try using the computer without WinMX and see if the same issue happens (by the way are you hard wired or wireless on this PC? )
If the problem continues with WinMX off  then you know (which i suspect anyway) that its not WinMX related and something going on with the wireless connection, router/modem or Cat5 if your hard wired.

Post back and let me know.

Joey

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 09:16:15 am »
It says "WinMX Community Patch 1.0 Thanks Eagle" at the top.  Also, I'm 100000% sure it's the network adapter.  I narrowed it down to the point that I found out resetting the modem doesn't fix it, resetting the router doesn't fix it, but desabling and re-enabling the network adapter DOES fix it (as does resetting the computer).  Also, when the internet does appear down, the other computers in the house as well as the Vonage phone and TiVo all access the internet just fine.  And what makes it all really strange is that when the computer is down, I can get to my router (from said computer) and access it's settings.  I can even see the IP address for my network.  That's what made this so hard to narrow down.  My computer should be able to access the internet....it just doesn't.  It would be different if I couldn't get at the router (which would imply a locked router) or if I couldn't get an IP address (which would imply a bad internet connection or locked modem), but I can.

Offline nylly444

• The /root of all evil ;-)
  • WMW Team
    • WinMX World
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 11:34:45 am »
I've only ever heard of something similar once and in that case the router didn't like the uPnP feature of the new patch.

Your issue sounds a bit different but maybe it's worth a try disabling it anyway and see what happens.
You do need to forward your ports manually then of course.

To disable the uPnP for the patch find the file "oledlg.ini" in your WinMX folder and open it with Notepad.
Find the line that says   /enableupnp 1  and change that to /enableupnp 0.

Then run things a bit and see fi that fixes things. If nothing else it helps excluding it ;)

Also when you say you can't get to the internet from that computer could it be that your dns isn't working then?
That would explain why you can access your router fine as you're using the IP addess for that.

Maybe the next time it happens you can try to access http://78.47.24.174/ and see if you get there, it should be the winmxworld home page on the backup server ;)

PLease report back on what happens...
LINUX - Legendary Intelligent Needful Universal Xperienced

joey

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 03:26:38 am »
I tried going straight to the IP address while the internet wasn't working from my computer and it did not work.  I used a different computer and it worked just fine (using that IP address, or doing anything else online for that matter).  Reset my computer and I'm back up.  I tried making that change to the ini file, we'll see if that makes a difference.

Joey

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 04:47:51 am »
Still locking with the changed ini file.

Offline Maxe

• WMW Team
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 04:42:05 pm »
I had the same problem, caused by the onboard Nvidia network controller. It didn't like heavy UDP traffic. The only way to solve the problem was to use a new PCI network card.
Hope this helps in some way.

Joey

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 05:13:39 pm »
Mine is Atheros, it's an onboard adapter.  I suppose later on I can try dopping in an old card.

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 02:29:42 pm »
Was it doing this before windows update updated you network card. Id have to say it may be possible that either the driver is defunct or the update maybe didnt go so well. What make and model is your network device. Maybe a swift scan on google may bring out other folks with this issue running other P2P programmes and possibly a solution. Search Atheros MODELNUMBER driver first and see if their are any newer ones on the net. Windows update is good for getting you up and running but for keeping hardware uptodate its usually a few versions behind on the not so popular or older hardware.
The Solution to 99% of winmx problems

nap.winmxgroup.net        -ONLINE again YAY!!!!!! :D

Praise's daily at the church of "Kopimi"

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Other WinMX Help  |  WinMX locking network adapter

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.02 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx