gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76775 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 26, 2024, 05:38:31 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX without Windows  |  Issue With New Test Patch from Eagle With UPNP
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Issue With New Test Patch from Eagle With UPNP  (Read 6700 times)

Offline MinersLantern

• Forum Member
Issue With New Test Patch from Eagle With UPNP
« on: September 15, 2008, 07:43:44 pm »
I have an issue.
When I run WinMX under Wine on Linux, it appears that the patch dll does not get loaded.
The update window at the top left on WinMX never connects and the WPN doesn't either.
If I change the hosts file in Linux back to the pie way and redirect the connections it connects to the WPN normally. By normally I mean it takes forever to go green the same way as pie on windows, but it does connect.
Debian 4.0r3
WinMX 3.53
Wine 1.0

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 08:25:37 pm »
Hi MinerLantern,

The reason its not working is that because you dropped a dll in to the program you will need to set up the override for that file, so it reads from where you placed it instead of the main deposit of dll files. 

Im told that there is a procedure to follow and atm we have'nt got a tutorial up on how to do that, so Google is your friend.  The override has to be set up for it to be able to read this file.

Offline MinersLantern

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 04:13:23 am »
ty Me that worked nicely, now I guess I gotta get one of the *buntus, since wcs 185 complains about some library being too old aka not the absolute newest available planetwide, on debian.
Shouldnt everyone write software on linux to be backwards compatible like is done on windows? Sheesh, I dont want to reinstall another new distro each week, that gets old after awhile.
And the last time I tried ubuntu, I was less than impressed by waiting hours for it to install and waiting minutes to do complex things (like open a folder) that debian does in a millisecond. (now spends more bandwidth on certain disappointment) and more hours.
Sometimes I have purile thoughts.... like re-becoming a windows fanboy. :D

Offline nylly444

• The /root of all evil ;-)
  • WMW Team
    • WinMX World
Re: Issue With New Test Patch from Eagle With UPNP
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 01:36:32 pm »
If you want to keep debian try upgrading to "testing" ("Lenny").
While Debian stable is about THE most stable Linux ever it tends to be not that current as things get tested fro a long time.
Debian also offers newer stuff in it's "testing" or even "unstable" repositories.
Personally I'm running the unstable distro and it's still more stable than any windows ;)

All you need to do is add the testing repositories (or even unstable), run apt-get update so the packages are available and then run apt-get dist-upgrade.
That will fetch the newer packages and upgrade your stable release to testing - or unstable if you chose to do so, dunno if you can go from stable to unstable in one step, look it up. Just do't run any mixed stuff, that will screw you up at some point, lol
Alternatively you could give Sidux a try, Sidux is based on the unstable distro called "sid" and 100% debian compatible, check it out here:  http://sidux.com/
I also like Debian better btw, Ubuntu is too much like windows by now and not really debian compatible anymore...  :walk:

btw, I've added a page about running winmx under wine now ;)   https://www.winmxworld.com/help/winmx-wine.html
LINUX - Legendary Intelligent Needful Universal Xperienced

Offline MinersLantern

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 05:45:46 am »
oh god.
I made the horrible mistake of trying the one that ends in a 'U'.
kubuntu forces kde 4. something on you, its buggy as all get out, cant even create a functional link to app on the desktop.
That would be ok, but the U program makes it difficult (if not impossible to install kde 3.5 which is the only kde that is usable)
I read try just plain ubuntu and install kde 3.5, haaa!
They (ubuntu people) disallow that as well.
Ridiculous. Why on earth is this disaster of programming becoming the alt OS of choice?
Deb may not have the most geewhiz versions of everything available on the planet, but at least it can create an icon that does what you expect it to do.
No wonder Microsoft still rules.
Im seriously still thinking Linux is a flash in the pan, suitable (just barely) to run my modem but they really should give up on real computers.
So... I will delete the awful thing and try again on Debian.

Offline MinersLantern

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 05:49:47 am »
btw, I attempted to run the KM program that does your cache locally, Debian runs it just fine. The 'U' thing sorta kinda runs it (in a way) opens 4 ports (out of what the 8 or 9 needed) then stops. An Atari ST from the 1980s is far more advanced.  lol

Offline nylly444

• WMW Team
    • WinMX World
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 10:15:25 am »
LoL, I must admit I haven't tried Ubuntu in about 2 years.

I've had access to a server running Debian before I decided to put Linux on my home box.
I tried several other distros but eventually I just decided Deb is the best :)
Your Opinion confirms something I've been saying for a while now though:
While Ubuntu may make it easy to setup and install LInux and configure everything automatic or with a pretty GUI it's a PITA to change anything manually,
thus taking away from the Linux experience.
I don't mind the nice outfit, but it should allow to change things the "Linux Way", i.e. by edtiting the right config file :)

Honestly, if you're comfortable with Debian try the testing distribution "Lenny", afaik it's scheduled to become the stable distro pretty soon.
You may want to look into how debian handles it's distributions, new packages go from "experimental" (alpha) to "unstable" (beta) then to "testing" (release candidate) to "stable".
Like I said already, what debian calls "testing" is still more stable than most windows version :)

Offline MinersLantern

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 07:31:53 pm »
I once again got distracted.
Now I have compressed images of Deb, Ubuntu, and Kubuntu all in a clean state on another partition so they can be restored in 5-10 minutes each time I break one. lol
Much better than installing all over again. I love Knoppix, too bad it cannot be successfully put on a hard drive, but its partimage is a godsend.
Made Kubuntu go to KDE 3.5.10 and regular Ubuntu go to KDE 4.1.
Of course, neither will make a working desktop launcher that works like in windows, but KDE 4.1 is beautiful (looking) it literally crashed and was super slow, so I deleted it.
I found that the kmware local cache will eventually hook up to the net and sometimes even open all its ports, maybe an iptables issue.
Still Debian connects it, portwise, almost instantly.
So will go back to playing with it and keep the U ones as relics for the museams of the future. I'll attempt to update Debs library that wcs wants since it can be restored easily if it breaks (which it prolly will) while fetching Lenny (long download).
Or can Etch be 'upgraded' to Lenny without re downloading all those DVDs again?

Offline nylly444

• WMW Team
    • WinMX World
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 04:21:59 am »
Have a little lookaround here till I get back from work
and can tell youn a little more about how to update/do a netinstall without downloading the complete dvd's again...

Offline MinersLantern

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 06:05:55 am »
I have already downloaded Lenny and installed it. :D
It does run wcs 1.85 without library complaints, but this version acts just like the Buntus in that running the cache server takes eons to open all of the ports.
Very strange.
Maybe an undiscovered bug in the new kernel?
Linux really should be able to network far better than windows.
After all Linux is famous for networking. lol
Oh well, guess I will go with wcs 1.83 and etch unless 1.85 gets recompiled to drop the requirement for GLIBC_2.4
Why does it even need GLIBC... anything? Isn't glibc for graphics?
Wcs 1.85 (as far as I know) doesn't even do any graphics, just a console window.

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
  • Linux:2003 FreeBSD:2004 Debian/BSD developer:2006
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 08:46:14 pm »
Glibc is the GNU C library without it C code would ne unable to run on your system.
as far as networking goes.... linux is the best but that doesnt mean an online reconfiguration (opening ports after the system has started) will be lightening fast. And as far as im aware wine hasnt even looked into UPnP support so i wouldnt depend on it to work
BSD -  The Daemons Are No Longer Just Inside My Head.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX without Windows  |  Issue With New Test Patch from Eagle With UPNP

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.021 seconds with 24 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx