gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 28, 2024, 06:32:24 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMX Lyte  |  Windows 7
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Windows 7  (Read 1822 times)

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
Windows 7
« on: January 14, 2009, 02:51:50 pm »
Right ok, this isnt a place to bash. im just wondering if any of you are using it yet? and also have you tried installing winmx with the installers from the patch page.
I have been planning on re-writing the patch installers anyhow but i dont have a system i can put windows 7 on at the moment and wanted some feed back

Also what are your experiences with it? ive heard you must not let windows media player load your MP3's in its library as it kills them , but then i hear their is a patch to rectify that? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/961367  but yes what are your opinions off it?

sort of two questions their lol
The Solution to 99% of winmx problems

nap.winmxgroup.net        -ONLINE again YAY!!!!!! :D

Praise's daily at the church of "Kopimi"

Offline ]-[êll.Ôñ.ËÀR'][']-[.

• WMW Volunteer
  • Its hard being me...but i do it just great.
Re: Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 11:46:01 pm »
I gave it a try a while back before they officialy released the beta to the public & found it to be a hell of a lot better than vista... It takes up less space on your hard drive ...gone are the annoying security pop ups It  now warns you of problems with a  change of an icon in the taskbar.

There is also a driver helper for when you might connect or add something new that will search out the drivers you need for you.. you just select download and load em up .. quite a nice touch that one.
They have reduced the number of system running processes running in the background (only using the ones you actually need)  there is also a new taskbar added with simpler icons & thumbnaill previews when you hover over them.

All in all its a lot more responsive than vista even though its just a beta version & is laptop friendly according to reports.... being a beta its still work in progress but i must say its a vast improvement on vista even at this stage.

I didnt get to try winmx on it due to it being a quick test just to check it out.... i will next time i try it & have more time to play ..... definatly worth taking a look at though as a lot of people have binned vista in favour of this even though its a beta.

Offline TheMacDaddy

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 07:49:48 am »
i will be installing windows 7 today on a system i have here
i will try the installer and other items to like bots and bendmx   
i will post back here once i checked out how they work.

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 09:31:49 am »
Cool TY

Offline TheMacDaddy

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 05:18:53 pm »
Ok so far the vista installer runs just great in windows 7 and so does the patch only installer
bendmx dont work (not even in compat mode)
all bots do work just fine
spybot works great
spyware blaster works great
avast works great
and so far i have had not 1 single issue with windows 7

i will post more each day as i carry on teating it with even more apps

Offline Cobra

• Forum Member
  • I'm not me.
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 09:13:49 pm »
I wasn't at all interested in Vista, but I am currently looking more forward to this version.

Then again, it's still an early beta. Microsoft still has plenty of time to ruin it before final release.

I am curious to see/know if any really old software (10+ years) could run on it.
Downloading is an addiction I do not want to give up.

Offline TheMacDaddy

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 08:51:45 pm »
name some cobra and i will gladly test them for you   :)
i am 3 days into windows 7 and still no isseus 

IE still sucks but Firefox works great

other then that nothing else to report so far

If others want to post any apps here they would like testing on new windows please feel free to say and i will gladly test em for ya

But please do remember beta 7 is still very much as it says   a beta version.

but still bloody great    :P

Offline Trestor

• Forum Member
  • Your call is important to us ...
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 05:23:35 am »
I tried it, for a few hours. I expect it will work well enough if you have recently made hardware, and the graphics are pretty enough, but in my case I use an Athlon 3 gig chip on a Gigabyte MoBo, which requires that drivers from a supplied Nvidia nforce 3 CD (containing a variety of operation drivers) be installed after the OS installation.

Windows 7 won't allow the CD to run, closing it as soon as it opens. Also, for a reason I never discovered, W7 would not allow a connection to my LAN and internet, and without the network I'm stymied. XP has no such problems, so I guess it means that MS has continued with the lack of support for some older equipment in W7, just as they did with Vista.

Offline tig

• Forum Member
  • WinMXWorld.com Help_AE182F4EBABE
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 05:46:25 am »
I was actually hoping this system might be better... but after reading what Trestor has written looks like i might be sticking with xp for longer as this lappy is pretty old... ms needs to make something so people dont go and out and buy new systems as well as new os (i think that is what plans the do have).

What someone has told dont fix what isnt broken so it looks like this will be the case here as well.
People become really quite remarkable when they start thinking that they can do things. When they believe in themselves they have the first secret of success. BY Norman Vincent Peale

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 10:13:19 am »
As with any OS upgrade. And im not trying to put trestor down. But to upgrade an OS without looking for your major drivers and downloading them and sticking them on a disk before you do the upgrade you are asking for trouble. No OS is perfect with their list of drivers. An if M$ was to supply every driver on a disk you would be looking at a few installation disks which just adds more confusin and more time and pain in the arse to the process.

I dont understand really in the land of the internet where this belief that the installation disk is a mighty know all. Every os including linux has its installation problems, you shouldnt decide that because its not got your network driver, or your graphics card driver built in then its no good. It will take you 30 mins before hand to download these important drivers and stick them on a disk.

Offline Trestor

• Forum Member
  • Your call is important to us ...
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 07:27:44 pm »
True enough as far as it goes, and no offense is taken. But so that nobody needs to think that granpa doesn't know how to suck eggs, I did go looking for up-to-date drivers after I restored XP, so I could try W7 again. Regrettably these do not seem to be obtainable in my case, and I need newer hardware if I want to eventually buy W7.

As for W7, it promises to be a great OS, judging by what most people are saying about the beta in other places. I'm more concerned about the things that the beta doesn't deal with, like DRM and having to contact MS when you want to change a piece of hardware, as seen in Vista (so I'm told).

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 04:47:38 am »
try using a parallel port scanner (9600x9600 dpi umax astra 1220p in my case) with even windows 2000... had to do a little '.inf file' hacking to get windows to stop complaining about the unknown hardware (even tho the driver did work cos its standalone).... bet i would have a snowballs chance in hell of getting 'old trusty' to work in 7.... even hardware jumpered ISA cards arent supported in XP (without hacks) and ISA support was dropped completely from Vista (dunno how tho considering the keyboards ps2 port is technically on the isa bus... along with quite a few other things even if the motherboard doesnt have isa slots..)

the acid test for 'sdrawkcab' compatibility with 7 would be to run some windows 3.1 software (look on tucows.com) and try running a game for DOS....

XP does pretty good dos (even going as far as to emulate a soundblaster 2.0 regardless of what soundcard you really have)... lets see what '7' does...

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMX Lyte  |  Windows 7

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.022 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx