gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 18, 2024, 06:46:53 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX Connection Issues  |  Reinstall problems
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Reinstall problems  (Read 8414 times)

Offline sheppardwk

• Forum Member
Reinstall problems
« on: November 23, 2008, 02:30:33 pm »
I had to reinstall Windows and unfortunately lost my WinMX application.  I went to WinMx World and downloaded the 3.54 Beta.  During the install, approximately 90% complete, an error box popped up with jibberish.  I closed the error and WinMx continued to install.  This computer is behind a router, but I've never had any trouble connecting.  However, I cannot connect - it stays on the yellow blinking light.

Reading through these forums, I found a topic regarding the oledlg.dll.  The date associated with ths file is dated 9/17/08 - and I understand that this may be an older version of the file.  I don't have the oledlg.ini file anywhere.  I then went and downloaded the available oledlg.dll and replaced the 9/17/08 version with the new one.  Still does not work.  I then went and found a 3.00 version of WinMx and tried to install it.  Same issues.

Please let me know what I can do to get WinMx running again.

Offline tig

• Forum Member
  • WinMXWorld.com Help_AE182F4EBABE
Re: Reinstall problems
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 02:58:18 pm »
Hi Sheppardwk

Go here:  https://patch.winmxconex.com/

This will get you conected again. Please post back and let us know how you get on.
People become really quite remarkable when they start thinking that they can do things. When they believe in themselves they have the first secret of success. BY Norman Vincent Peale

Offline sheppardwk

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 03:31:19 pm »
That's where I downloaded 3.53 and 3.54 beta.  These files both have the old version of oledgl.dll as referenced in my earlier posts.  I still cannot connect.

Offline tig

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 10:44:35 pm »
Hi Sheppard

Can you please let me know what version of windows you are running... what firewalls you are running. What anti-virus you are running?

We will be able to help you with this info.
People become really quite remarkable when they start thinking that they can do things. When they believe in themselves they have the first secret of success. BY Norman Vincent Peale

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 12:38:51 am »
If your able to start from scratch the simplest thing is to re-install the patch from the winmxconex.com site with the winmx 3.54 version recommended, but ensure that the install goes to a new folder and not the old one, name it "winmx2" or something similar, its been noticed over the years that trying to reinstall into the same folder can cause a small minority of users strange problems and a fresh folder ensures your not likely to suffer from this problem.

If your still having issues then please write down the contents of the error message and provide the information Tig asked for above to enable us to help you further  :)

Offline sheppardwk

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 02:59:33 am »
OK, I uninstalled WinMx and then tried to reinstall it to a different directory.  Same thing happened.  As the blue status bar is sliding from left to right indicating the progress, it stops approximately 90% complete and an error box pops up.  It is a square box with a small "flying windows" in the upper left-hand corner of the box followed by this:

?E??????|

There is a red circle with a white x right in the middle.  Underneath it are some more sanscript figures:

??????@

In the center of the error box there is an OK button.  The install will not continue until this OK is clicked.  After I click on it the installation completes.  I'm then asked if I want to create shortcuts, what type of connection, what country, etc. 

This computer is behind a router, so I click on all of the components indicating such.  The computer is an old one, running Windows 98SE, so it does not have a firewall and I currently have not installed avast yet.  WinMx previously ran perfect including the Patch on this computer, so I don't understand what's going on.

I then uninstalled it again, and attempted to install it through Safe Mode.  Exact same thing happens....approximately 90% complete and I receive the error box.  I tried to install WinMx on a computer at work running XP and I did not receive the error box.   However, we're behind a firewall that I can't get around.

Any technical help would be greatly appreciated.  Should I try to install an older version?  Any thoughts?

Offline tig

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 05:14:54 am »
Hi Sheppardwk

Okies try this:

1. delete file again.

2. download this as it is 3.54 beta 4:
httpss://archive.winmxworld.com/WinMX/Beta/3.54%20betas/

3. go to  https://patch.winmxconex.com/

4 download oledlg.dll

5. open the file folder which winmx is in

6. copy oledlg.dll into that folder

7. open winmx and it should be connected

Please post back and let me know what happens with doing it this way.

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 10:05:28 am »
Seems Tig is on the right trail  8)

From your post the installer seems to have encountered a problem Sheppardwk this could be because its asking windows for a file thats not present, I started off on 98SE myself some years ago and the installer was tested with a few installs to that operating system so it will be intresting to see if the manual adding of the patch will fix the problem, in theory it should, but if not it may be a wise idea to run the system file checker that win98SE has.

Offline sheppardwk

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 12:02:13 am »
OK, first I decided to run sfc.  It indicated an error with a setup file, which I replaced using the Windows 98 SE install disk.  I was cautiously optimistic, as the problems I've been encountering were setup related.

I then tried to run the 3.54 beta from   https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Same error.

Uninstall and tried the archived beta version.  I unzipped it into the file where the archive was downloaded.  It immediately went to the main screen and used a previous Network identity.  I then uninstalled it and removed all other files relating to WinMx.  I then moved the archived file into a new folder named WinMx old.  Ran the file and it did not go through the setup wizard, but took me to the Agreement Acceptance Button.  Clicked on it and put in a new network identity.  Then copied the oledlg.dll file into this directory.  I'm currently waiting as the screen flashes yellow.

I have all of the information to open the ports behind my router.  I thought about doing that until I read that it does not matter about routers, that you should be able to connect first and then worry about routers second.  Correct?

That's where I am as of now.

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 10:25:30 am »
Seems i missed this thread,
Hi Sheppardwk, I am the maker of the patch installers and im sorry that it appears you are having difficulty's with the installer. I tested it many time on windows 98 with no problems but that doesnt help you. What i will do though is help you with a few bits

First off you have done everything right with a manual install, winmx in a folder, the dll from the site and tried to start it. But the old winmx 9 series has a registry entry which stops the loading of the dll from the winmx folder. During the install the installer removes this entry for you allowing winmx to work. Now their are two things you can do from here. One is to manually remove the entry from your registry, But id be bothered in case you messed up your registry so i have made a little batch file which i will attach to this post for you to just run and it will remove the entry for you. Unzip the batch file to your desktop and run this batch file by just double clicking it you will need to reboot and start up winmx. It should work straight away then. (If you want to know whats in the batch file right click on it and open with note pad just incase your nosey lol)
The Solution to 99% of winmx problems

nap.winmxgroup.net        -ONLINE again YAY!!!!!! :D

Praise's daily at the church of "Kopimi"

Offline sheppardwk

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 01:53:55 pm »
Deux,

I believe I've followed all of the directions and attempted various different types of installs.  A little history about my situation...I've had WinMx installed on this computer for years using 98SE - no problems.  Recently, I noticed the message in the top of the program identifying a new patch.  I downloaded it and ran it and everything was fine.

Over this past weekend, something happened which caused an error with the hard drive - still not sure what occurred.  I tried to scandisk, chkdsk, etc., but the computer would not boot up.  Inserting the 98SE disk, it indicated there was a problem with FAT32 and recommended reformatting.  After reinstalling 98SE and all of the drivers, I then went to WinMx to download the patch.  Unfortunately, I encountered an error during the install as described below.

I followed GhostShip's suggestion to run sfc and it identified one file that was corrupt named setup.xxx.  It requested the 98SE disk to replace it, and I thought this was it.  But, it still didn't work.  Last night I ran scandisk and it indicated 500Kb in bad sectors, but did not correct anything.

Last night I tried to run the 3.54 beta from   https://patch.winmxconex.com/ - but I ran into the same error.

I then tried Tig's suggestion of using the archived beta version, but it did not run through an install - it instead went immediately to the WinMx main screen using a previous Network Identity.  Maybe that was the result of the registry entry as you mention.  I don't mind trying to remove the entry from the registry.  I'll try the batch file. 

Am I running the old WinMx 9 series?   If the batch file doesn't work, should I try to install the file at   https://patch.winmxconex.com/ and then run the batch file again?

The main problem it appears to me is that something occurs as I'm going through the WinMx Setup Wizard.  For some reason, there is a problem about 90% of the way in and I'm not sure if it is my computer or something else.  It seems a coincidence that my computer had problems and now I can't run WinMx.

Thank you for your assistance, I'll keep trying everything that you and anybody else recommends until we get it running again.

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 02:14:19 pm »
you only have to run that batch file once to remove the entry from your registry you need to put the dll and winmx in a folder and then run winmx. It should load perfectly. If not i have to suspect that your hard-drive is failing and the reinstall of windows 98 hasn't installed correctly. I would also surmise your upgrade of the patch coinciding with your HD failure are mealy just coincidence.

Offline sheppardwk

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 04:24:09 pm »
Which version of WinMx would you recommend I run?  The most current 3.54 version or a the archived version?  I'm concerned that the archived version did not go through the install wizard and striaght to WinMx.  Should I have the oledgl.dll file already in the WinMx folder before running the archived version or place it in there after the abbreviated setup?

I may reinstall 98SE on top of itself if your suggestion (and others) don't work.

Thanks.

Offline sheppardwk

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2008, 12:35:36 am »
I ran the batch file but received an error.  In the MSDOS box the title was  Finished-Unlock and the message read  File Not Found- C:\Windows\Hosts.

Under this box in the center of the screen another error box:

Registry Editor
Cannot import C:\Windows\Temp\UniqueID.reg.  Error opening the file.  There may be a disk or file system error.

I was ready to reinstall Windows 98 SE and then thought before I do, let's see if WinMx works.  Clicked on it and voila the green light indicating I was free to search.

Not sure about the errors, but I'm up and running.

Thanks to all who helped.

Offline tig

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2008, 01:04:57 am »
Great news Sheppardwk.

You are very welcome.

Happy winxming :D :D

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2008, 09:41:05 am »
Weird it must of worked, but lookig at the errors id be inclined to think their is some issues somewhere. Least yur sorted anyhow.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX Connection Issues  |  Reinstall problems

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.024 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx