gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 28, 2024, 11:56:58 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Christmas Logo Contest 08
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Christmas Logo Contest 08  (Read 5035 times)

Offline Cobra

• Forum Member
  • I'm not me.
Re: Christmas Logo Contest 08
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2008, 08:26:49 am »
What happened to the "several days of judging" that I assumed we would all do together?

Oh well, I tried! :lol:

Congrats Me Here! I wish that I could get the antialiasing of both my images and smaller text to come out looking at sleek/smooth.  :yes:

Downloading is an addiction I do not want to give up.

Offline tig

• Forum Member
  • WinMXWorld.com Help_AE182F4EBABE
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2008, 08:52:36 am »
That is my fault Cobra. I have been busy with normal life and was a little upset with the way the voting went in another thread. I changed the decision afterwards to have a independant judge. I am sorry again I should off informed everyone.

Merry Christmas and have a safe holidays to all. 
People become really quite remarkable when they start thinking that they can do things. When they believe in themselves they have the first secret of success. BY Norman Vincent Peale

Offline tig

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2008, 12:22:01 pm »
Cobra Did you make the Merry Mxas? If you did are you are pm me so that I can use a similar one to the home page please.

I love it and would like to use it.
People become really quite remarkable when they start thinking that they can do things. When they believe in themselves they have the first secret of success. BY Norman Vincent Peale

Offline Cobra

• Forum Member
  • I'm not me.
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2008, 06:23:32 pm »
... I have been busy with normal life ...
Damn "normal life"! When will it learn to butt out? We're on the Internet here! :yes:

Offline Cobra

• Forum Member
  • I'm not me.
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2008, 06:23:56 pm »
Cobra Did you make the Merry Mxas? If you did are you are pm me so that I can use a similar one to the home page please.

I love it and would like to use it.
PM sent.

Offline tig

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2008, 10:52:30 pm »
A reply back. :D and thankyou.

Offline nylly444

• The /root of all evil ;-)
  • WMW Team
    • WinMX World
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2008, 08:30:44 am »
I took the liberty of reviving the snow bar to go with the x-mas logo :)
LINUX - Legendary Intelligent Needful Universal Xperienced

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2008, 09:34:42 am »
i need to use povray or something similar next time ... this is the 3rd time ive given this a shot and get honorable mentions (thanx MH)... but never have i won :/ granted my creativity wasnt all it could have been... i had the no xmas spirit problem GS had i think lol.. and wiccan/pagan solstice isnt something thats done here...

ahwell... always next mxmas to try it again ;)

PS does anyone have a hi-res (SVG would be really nice) version of the WMW grid-globe thats used in the default header?

Offline tig

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2008, 11:05:05 am »
Hay Silver

Question for you... what do you celebrate and when. I know it sounds silly but we could have another time for that kind of thing. Maybe you pick the month or something and we can organise another competition for that.

Anyway just a thought.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2008, 12:49:35 am »
lol... i dont really celebrate anything.. im an agnostic... but i do go to my grandparents for dinner and to open presents on xmas itself but thats moreso for the grandparents and presents... xmas trees and decorations are a thing of the past for my own household (much to the dismay of my brother at first but hes gotten used to it)  but i thank you for the thought...

if you are curious about the solsice/eqinox events have a look here;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solstice

that article is a bit jumbled (and it makes note that it is) but its a start... the date for the winter (and other events) soltice changes every year... its the 21st this year... and it coveres so drastically many religions and even non religions (astronomers/scientists use it as a marker as well) ... that.. to be honest.. it would truly encompass the entire winmx world...

but christmas (the santa clause version... not the jesus birthday one) seems to have taken over as the generic holiday that most everyone celebrates so it works... ...what makes me itch at times is the 'christ' part of it... or rather the church placing jesus' birthday on dec 25... over the solstice... to try to 'cover up' the other/pagan religions of the time... dec 25 really boils down to ancient politics... and im sure we can all agree that politics that takes away the rights of others is a bad thing... (the holiday cover up has been done with more than the various solstice celebrations... easter is an excellent example)

interesting trivia?: coke (the fizzy drink) replaced christ with the red santa (ever wonder why santa wears red?... no im not making a joke... im serious) so its a 'buy things' holiday by tradition now... lol...

i guess... in an attempt to answer your thought inducing question... i celebrate the pursuit of knowledge... when? always... 

Offline Bart_Laroc_260

• Forum Member
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2008, 02:20:12 am »
The typical image we have of Santa Claus dressed in red clothes with white fur trim, is an amalgamation of cultural input over many years. Some people claim the image of Santa we know today is from Coca-cola advertising, but this simply isn't true. The standard Santa garb was well established by the 1920s and it wasn't until the 1930s that Coca-cola first used the Santa Claus design in their advertising.

Merry Christmas - geseënde Kersfees - gëzuar Krishtlindja - gleckika Wïanachta - miilaad majiid - Eguberri on - subho baradin - Nedeleg laouen - Vasel Koleda - Christmas nay hma mue pyaw pa - bon Nadal - bon Natale - sretan Božic - veselé Vánoce - glædelig jul - vrolijk Kerstfeest - gojan Kristnaskon - häid jõule - hyvää joulua - joyeux Noël - bon nadal - bo Nadal - frohe Weihnachten, fröhliche Weihnachten - kala christougenna, kala xristougenna - jwaye nowel - Krismas ki subhkamna - boldog Karácsonyt - gleðileg jól - selamat Natal - Nollaig shona - buon Natale, gioioso Natale - meri kurisumasu - assegass amegass - seun-tan chu-ka-hae-yo - Noela we pîroz be - souksan van Christmas - felix dies Nativitatis - priecigus Ziemassvetkus - su Kaledoms - vrolik Kersfees - schéi Chrëschtdeeg - sreken Bozik - tratry ny Krismasy, arahabaina tratry ny Krismasy, arahaba tratry ny Krismasy - milied hieni - meri Kirihimete - god jul - bon Nadal - eydet mobârak - Wesolych Swiat - feliz Natal - un Crãciun fericit - Pozdrevlyayu s prazdnikom Rozhdestva! - ia manuia le Kerisimasi - bona pasca’e Nadale - bona paschixedda - Nollaig chridheil - srecan bozic - krisimas yakanaka - vesele vianoce - vesel božic / vesele božicne praznike - dobro dedek - feliz Navidad - god jul - maligayang pasko - Suksan Wan Christmas! - Noeliniz kultu olsun - Shuldyr Ymuston - Z Rizdvom Hrystovym - Chuc Mung Giang Sinh! - djoyeus Noyé - Nadolig llawen - jénwèl 

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2008, 10:04:46 am »
regardless of the commercial origin... it still started as yet another christian 'overwrite' of pagan religions/holidays celebrated for who knows how long before 'jesus' came along...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_claus

Happy Santamas/Consumermas (at least such would be secular... im tired of mixing church and state... im tired of 'religious right' nutjobs stepping on the beliefs of others... im sick to death of "christianity"....)

"I like your Christ but I do not like your Christians, they are very unlike your Christ" -Dalai Lama

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2008, 02:21:19 pm »
I,m sure "the Christ" the Dalai Lama reffers to is the edited peaceful christ that bears no resemblance to Jesus and his lifetime, physically opposing the roman occupation is not the same as lying down in front of their chariots in non violent protest.

We can all take various parts of religion to heart as ideals that we all aspire to for their longeivity of purpose and for the unwritten social rules that are handed down by those lands who have enforced laws based on these ideals, as with anything some folks take an extremist view of what they read and for their own purposes give more weight to a set of phrases or meanings over others, this then is the cause of much division and in some cases violence, thus moving those folks outside of the arena of ideals that many societies are built on, there is only one true way of ensuring your life is happy and full and thats to interact with others to promote common peaceful values and do your best to uphold them, to do anything else is merely a cloak for a selfish act.

I think regardless of what we call it now this has always been a time of traditional celebration where folks come together to chew the fat or take a break from toil, christmas, solstice take yor pick but enjoy what is a time for rest and interaction to reaffirm some of the values we hold dear.

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2008, 08:05:48 pm »
I'm not sure when/how this turned into a what Christmas means to me thread, sorta neat to read but I'd like to whop my thoughts in.  I think although there is still a long road to travel, pagan based religious/spiritual beliefs and customs are becoming more widely accepted albeit slow coming, considering the speed at which they were stamped out in 'modern' history.
I too am all for a 'real' separation of church and state, but I try to remember that I'm also for religious freedom for all people not just 'non traditional' beliefs in the sense of the phrase.

Christmas for me is far more a celebration of the memories of the Christmases past in a house where my beloved father loved Christmas lights and Carols and it enriched my life to be a part of his joy of the Season.  Christmas doesnt start for me until I hear Nat King Cole - The Christmas Song and would prefer to hear the scratched LP that used to echo through my house every year, and skip and skip and we all waited listening to see when he would get round to touching the needle to send it on the way to the next verse. The sneaking around I did looking for my prezzies and the hiding I did with 'my sneaking' in mind of my own kids' prezzies, remembering how curiosity and suspense was a fantastic motivator to 'find' things in the oddest of places before Christmas. Driving for miles OoooOoo'ing and Awwww'ing at Christmas lights on peoples homes, praying for snow on Christmas, knowing there was no way it would come.
Decorating a tree with the Ornaments that represented each year of my life, and then each year of my children's.  Remembering what a hurry I packed it all up in, cause the lights are a tangled mess.
Best of all putting out the Santa prezzies the night before and stuffing stockings with goodies, thinking of the fun it will be, as it was for me to remember 'Oh wait the Stocking, there will be more goodies there too!! Whoots'

So We all celebrate the holidays in our own way, and the real reason for the season if you ask me is to have a bit of joy at the prospect of those little moments and the want to share that good feeling with nearly everyone you see.

Hope you all have a merry holiday season what ever it means to you  :)

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2008, 03:42:52 am »
just to add something a bit off topic; be carefull with that skipping record... you can break needles with records that skip... so if you payed alot for that turntable you may find yourself paying quite a bit for a replacement needle/cartrige/pickup (however its replaced) ... i broke a needle on a bad copy of 'thriller' and found that its 30$ to get a new one... but for a bit of fun... if you have a wood floor house in the place that record gets played you can always jump (to shake the floor and in turn the turntable) to make him go to the next verse... time the stomps/jumps just right and you can get it to play the whole song without getting stuck :P

but back on topic; you (MH) and GS forget... you two are in the UK... im in the US... in the bible belt of the US no less... religion (specifically christianity) gets shoved down my throat quite a bit harder than yours... and im definitly past the 'gag' reflex and ready to puke...  every year here the 'christmas wars' start with religious ppl boycotting businesses that dont greet ppl with 'merry christmas' and sometimes going as far as to try to file lawsuits (which never work)... and then when they do that those who dont celebrate christmas (they celebrate another holiday or nothing at all) say STFU! to the religious nuts and we end up with a string of ACLU suits and other crap in an attempt to get the christian nuts to just leave ppl alone (is that too much to ask?)....

bah humbug says i....

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2008, 08:58:30 am »
I wouldnt consider folks that act in that fashion christians Stripes, as I said bad behaviour and divisive actions are extremism at play and such folks have to tolerated or moved away from, you have my sympathy that such folks are not able to live by the creed they claim to represent.

Offline ñòóKýçrÕôK

• my name is nooks, and I approve this message
  • MX Hosts
  • Dream BIG, Live BIGGER!!
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2008, 12:03:29 am »
I think I'll just add my 2 cents right here and move the hell on. It's Christmas time and I'm not sure who the bigger nutjobs are around here. Which is worse? The religious nutjobs or the bitchy antireligious nutjobs. You both try to force your views on people and to be perfectly honest I couldn't give a damn which of you do like christmas and which of you don't. I DO LIKE IT, and I intend to celebrate it in spite of your "I hate christianity and christmas and christ" crap. STFU already and get over it. If a religious nut gets in your face tell them to fuck off and keep movin cause you can bet that's what I'll do to them and the anti-religion nutjobs. Guess that sums up what I think. And just in case your mamas forgot. If you can't say anything nice don't say the shit at all.
When you wake up each morning always try to remember tomorrow is never your option, it's God's. Love like you want to. Live like you aren't afraid. And ALWAYS try to remember that even if it seems personal it's never as important as something you may have forgotten to do today.

WinMXWorld.com Help_AE182F4EBABE - For WinMX help or help on other pc related matters.
WinMXWorld.com Cafe_AE182F4ECAFE - For great chat.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2008, 07:39:59 am »
first nookie... i didnt say i hate christ i said i dont follow christ (try reading) i hate the religious nutjobs that claim to be christians (thats what the dalai lama quote was all about).... and i hate was christmas has become... a year after year war here in the US... all the way from jahovas witnesses leaving litter on my front porch to ACLU lawsuits demanding nativity scenes be removed from courthouse lawns (the scene shouldnt be there in the first place... it should be in the homes of the followers)

you like christmas? you celebrate it? then go for it.. i didnt tell you - you cant... just make sure you keep your prayers to yourself and to respect that there are others that dont celebrate christmas...

can someone lock this thread before this gets out of hand?

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2008, 01:46:13 pm »
I dont wish to lock this thread but I do ask that hot tempered folks not make any posts that do not take on board the simple rule of comon courtesy, we are all entitled to our own views and bearing this in mind we should all remember that first and foremost we are all human beings and thus deserve respect from our fellows, often the correct course in a thread of opposing views is to agree to disagree.

A simple rule of thumb for making a point rather than flaming is to ensure the point is not directed at another poster directly but contains some information validating/referencing  your views.

Ok now I,ve done a bit of defining of what we should or should not post, I hope we can all enjoy the holiday in whatever way we wish and as is tradition wish our fellow members of the human race good health and our sincere wish they continue on the road to prosperity and happiness.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Christmas Logo Contest 08

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.034 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx