gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 18, 2024, 01:50:55 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Net Broken - Disruptions And Rerouting Expected
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Net Broken - Disruptions And Rerouting Expected  (Read 1193 times)

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
Net Broken - Disruptions And Rerouting Expected
« on: December 21, 2008, 02:29:04 am »
Another cable outage, becoming a common problem it seems these days.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7792688.stm

Internet and phone communications between Europe, the Middle East, and Asia have been seriously disrupted after submarine cables were severed.
It is thought the FLAG FEA, SMW4, and SMW3 lines, near the Alexandria cable station in Egypt, have all been cut.

A fault was also reported on the GO submarine cable 130km off Sicily.
Experts warned that it may be days before the fault is fixed and said the knock on effect could have serious repercussions on regional economies. For this to happen twice in one year, on the same cable, is a serious cause for concern.

Jonathan Wright - director of wholesale products at Interoute which manages part of the optical fibre network - told the BBC that the effects of the break would be felt for many days.

Due to some work commitments this notice is a little late in reaching the site here but better late than never and it may explain any mystery disconnections etc that often have many in panic.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
Re: Net Broken - Disruptions And Rerouting Expected
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 04:51:33 am »
Another cable outage, becoming a common problem it seems these days.

i'd be more apt to call it a conspiracy than a common problem.... other nations are routing their traffic away from the US and suddenly we keep having these undersea cable problems?

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 01:20:41 pm »
Very likely your right Stripes but its all a big game, and it wont last forever.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7795320.stm

A French ship has begun repairing two undersea cables in the Mediterranean that were severed on Friday, disrupting internet and phone communications. A robot submarine will locate the ends of the cables on the sea bed and bring them to the surface to be re-connected.
They were cut within 5 minutes of each other, possibly by a trawler net.

Experts from France Telecom Marine arrived at the site of the damage to the SEA-ME-WE4 and SEA-ME-WE3 lines onboard the cable ship, Raymond Croze, at 1330 GMT on Sunday, spokesman Louis-Michel Aymard said.

They then sent a remotely-operated submarine robot called "Hector" to the sea bed to begin the search for the two ends of each line.

It does seem overly suspicious that these damages are becoming more frequent but I,m sure this will just mean there is more support for yet further cables and thus redundancy and we will all benefit from this as it means the price of global data transit will fall.

Offline Trestor

• Forum Member
  • Your call is important to us ...
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 05:29:07 am »
They were cut within 5 minutes of each other, possibly by a trawler net.

That would be something to see, a trawler net that could do that ...

Offline Valor

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 01:45:41 pm »
Lmao Trestor yairrrr,  the only undersea cable I know of that was severed was by a massive navy boat hooked the cable with their anchor and the [very powerful] whinch kept reeling the anchor in and partially severed her, trawler net my assssssss lololol

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Net Broken - Disruptions And Rerouting Expected

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.023 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx