gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 19, 2024, 05:27:04 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Third Party Stuff  |  Chat Servers  |  FX server obselete
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: FX server obselete  (Read 12500 times)

Offline Valor

• Forum Member
FX server obselete
« on: December 28, 2008, 07:04:02 pm »
Fx server was discontinued by the author and is unsupported. IE: if anything on winmx changes, Fx cannot change with it.
You may still use FXS with the new winmx community patch thanks to Eagle who has made the modification but really we can't keep expecting people to modify obeslete closed source software.
A much better alternative to FXS is the newer Eserv by Eagle, which has been tested and proven very stable and good.
Available here  from the author site.

Offline nylly444

• The /root of all evil ;-)
  • WMW Team
    • WinMX World
Re: FX server obselete
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 08:13:05 pm »
The original is in italian, but it's available packed with english config and language file in our archive here:
(With permission by EaglE of course)

For Windows: httpss://archive.winmxworld.com/Eagle/E-Serv/Windows/E-Serv-Win32-0.28(Eng).zip
For Linux: httpss://archive.winmxworld.com/Eagle/E-Serv/Linux/E-Serv-Tux-0.28(Eng).tar.gz
LINUX - Legendary Intelligent Needful Universal Xperienced

Offline wonderer

• MX Hosts
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 06:06:25 am »
Sabre is holding the sources of FXserver ...

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 01:50:02 pm »
I have heard that story before unfortunately Wonderer, he said the same about the sources for WinMx and has to date only ever produced a hexed up version, in all honesty I have never seen one peice of code created by Sabre and thus I have no confidence in any of his pronouncements aside from the one where he admits duping users by hijacking the pie patch effort via the update bar he was trusted to look after.

On the last build of FX server Sabre was given a small credit along with about 10 others and this is likely how he obtained the src if he has it at all, and that is something many here doubt, TNT Tony also claims to have the src who do we believe ?

The crux of the matter is that whilst the program has no one motivated enough to continue its lifecycle it is "virtually" obsolete as are many other programs that have been long forgotten and left to rot.

Offline Valor

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 07:45:47 pm »
The crux of the matter is that whilst the program has no one motivated enough to continue its lifecycle it is "virtually" obsolete as are many other programs that have been long forgotten and left to rot.
Thankyou for your support Ghostship and Nylly. I've been away from winmx for 6 months and can't comprehend there are still 639 channels using FX server. After all the trouble it has caused winmx with its bufffer overflow? And the fact its been dead for over a year, 10 channels still using it would be too many!
Come on people get off of FX  its a gaudy dead horse in the water!

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 10:40:07 pm »
If folks want to update Valor I,m sure they will when the server of their choice is not able to offer anything helpful or new, we of course look to the many community developers to ensure that folks are having the best experience they can offer them, and so far they have all been doing a great job, thats not to say we have seen the pinnacle of chat server creation just yet  mind you :)

Offline Valor

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 04:33:46 am »
Yes GhostShip but FXS has a massive 0day.
0day = unreleased exploit
For the sake of the trouble it will cause winmxworld [fx hosts needing help] when the 0day is released, I advise FXS users to familiarize themselves with Author Supported Software.

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 09:24:56 am »
I,m disappointed your now resorting to scare tactics Valor, no one here has heard of an exploit as measures would then have been taken to locate the author, if your aware of a genuine problem then PM me the details of it and I shall confirm their validity or otherwise as well as look into potential remedies, this is the way ahead.

I believe I have already made the point of using author supported software when choosing programs as this is surely commons sense however while many of the older programs remain functional I have no remit from anyone to demand they should use any particular program I recommend, each user is free to follow their own path in this and regardless of their choice we will as a support site do our best to support their choice.

Only when a program is likley to cause damage to the network or other users will I make a call for it to be fixed or removed, FX does not at this time fit into this catagory. If you have information that it does then please make such information available in confidence to allow for action to be taken.

Offline birdman

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 04:21:06 pm »
Having tried all the availible chat servers FX server is still best to me, good user interface and everything any host needs and in simple format, shame it is no longer supported if a chat server comes along based on FX same interface etc i would be forst in queue !

Offline birdman

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 12:16:10 pm »
Looking down the chat rooms list nearly 90 % of the rooms are hosted on FX server so if your sayin its obsolete what are all these room hosts going to do ? yes it may not be supported anymore but the final release 1.3.9 is still as stable as anything and nothing else released to date compares to FX !

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
  • Linux:2003 FreeBSD:2004 Debian/BSD developer:2006
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 02:44:10 am »
valor/cc no matter how much you hate FXS and WCS Eserv still doesnt have the admin system and the features they do. While there are several known ways to crash fxs (some even coming from fede himself b4 he left) and the same being said for WCS People still choose to use FX and WCS Simply because they make nicer channels. While eagle is supposadly working on a replacement for Eserv with the features of FX and WCS nothing can be said until it is released.
As far as the patch being made to work with fx the ws2_32 still works in the last stable version you can input your own caches and in the last beta it can connect to your mx if its primary and patched. As for ZCS it indeed can replace both servers and can run on POSIX systems with the MONO Framework installed. This isnt a resource friendly replacement last time i talked to zenar he was working to convert the server from vb.net to C/C++ but i dont know how that is coming along.
BSD -  The Daemons Are No Longer Just Inside My Head.

Offline wonderer

• MX Hosts
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 07:30:06 am »
Zénar can be found, mostly during weekends in ZenMX.com_2AFC6450C0DE :)

Offline birdman

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 12:34:03 pm »
If Eagle came out with a server that looked and felt like Fx server with same kind of codescolours so no mettis configs would need to be altered to work in it then i would certainly give it a try !

Offline tig

• Forum Member
  • WinMXWorld.com Help_AE182F4EBABE
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 01:16:50 pm »
Hi Birdman

Now I love fx server it will always be on of my favourites the only reason I changed was due reason of trying new server and learning them so I can help others. 

However, since you have mentioned metis let me say this... i have got metis configs running in the WPCC bot and they are working fine in the es room i am running. Also I never have had a problem with running a bot with metis configs in the es winmxworld help room. They have had to be adjusted due the fact I have used many servers with this bot over the years (I think I have 5 different configs for that bot alone) all to work on different chat servers.

Please have a go and try is all i ask you to do. I am not asking you to change I am asking that you have a go with the metis script in es server.

the colours are always very similar on each chat server.

I understand that many of you still do use fx server... we still have our little fixes for it so dont worry at this stage.   8) 8) 8)

People become really quite remarkable when they start thinking that they can do things. When they believe in themselves they have the first secret of success. BY Norman Vincent Peale

Offline birdman

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 01:44:29 pm »
Hi Tig
I too have tried all the availible servers around but still keep coming back to FX server  mainly due to its user friendly interface and simplicity i think i could operate it with my eyes closed i know it so well lol
Any way my co host would like to see and open source server before consider switching from Fx but i dont know if that will ever happen.

Offline tig

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2009, 01:48:42 pm »
This all personal preference... it is up to each and every single host on what they like to use. :yes: :yes: :yes:
People become really quite remarkable when they start thinking that they can do things. When they believe in themselves they have the first secret of success. BY Norman Vincent Peale

Offline birdman

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2009, 01:51:57 pm »
I read n the previous page that Egle is working on a new caht server based on FX and wcs and news on that or early versions to trial ?

Offline tig

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2009, 01:55:46 pm »
As soon as i get real life stuff out the way I need to I will follow up on that. I have not heard anything about trials as yet. :S

Offline birdman

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2009, 06:09:57 pm »
Another thing i like about FX server apart from the user friendly interface  is the banlist.txt  that you can edit, add a name to an ip that was banned and that the /banlist gives you the date and time of the ban

Offline gypsyroadhog

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2009, 08:19:19 pm »
Hmmm i'm using "FXServer_Eaglepatched"
But i dont see any banlist.text?
Could some1 put it up please

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Third Party Stuff  |  Chat Servers  |  FX server obselete

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.024 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx