gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 16, 2024, 08:14:42 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Will Fibre Optic cable Bring The UK Up To Speed ?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Will Fibre Optic cable Bring The UK Up To Speed ?  (Read 680 times)

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
Will Fibre Optic cable Bring The UK Up To Speed ?
« on: January 09, 2009, 10:05:11 pm »
It seems building your way out of a recession is an old trick but will the UK undertake an expensive step in upgrading their Net facilities ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7818212.stm

After the depression of the 1920s, US president Roosevelt started a public works programme which saw billions of dollars pumped into a series of projects, including the building of roads, airports and dams in an effort to reignite the economy.

In the UK there are increasingly loud rumblings that a similar thing is needed in the UK, with a superfast broadband infrastructure a prime candidate for cash.
Prime Minister Gordon Brown has recently acknowledged that such an infrastructure could play a part in pulling the country out of economic gloom - although he has stopped short of committing public money to it.

Nevertheless his comments have pleased those in the industry keen to get next-generation broadband out of the starting block.
"It would be easy to see broadband as an expensive luxury in difficult times but it is encouraging that Gordon Brown has recognised that investment in the broadband infrastructure could provide long-term benefits to productivity," said Antony Walker, chief executive of the Broadband Stakeholders Group.

I think now is the right time to be discussing this as its plain to me if we don't move swiftly on with upgrading we will end up in a rut for many more years than the current old copper cable is likely to last for.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
Re: Will Fibre Optic cable Bring The UK Up To Speed ?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 03:50:31 am »
...we will end up in a rut for many more years than the current old copper cable is likely to last for...

from; http://michaelemilio.com/study-determines-life-expectancy-of-home-components/

Copper plated wiring, copper clad aluminum, and bare copper wiring are expected to last a lifetime, whereas electrical accessories and lighting controls are expected to last 10+ years.

tho somehow i doubt it will be very reliable for high speed data (or even old fashioned analog voice) tranfers for that 'lifetime' (other sites say around 100 years)... ...and thats only for the wiring in your walls.... dunno what the stuff in the ground goes through or how long it lasts....

Offline ]-[êll.Ôñ.ËÀR'][']-[.

• WMW Volunteer
  • Its hard being me...but i do it just great.
Re: Will Fibre Optic cable Bring The UK Up To Speed ?
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 06:46:47 am »
Only Gordon brown could come up with the idea of making something more available to people who in times of recession couldn't afford it & to boot using those that have fallen on hard times to make it wider available (no doubt on minimum wage just to rub it in some more) :no: :no: :no:

I'm all for high speed broadband and advancements, but how about the company's that are making all the profit from the service as it is plough some back in for the improvements and the government using the cash to pay out on the cold weather payments to the elderly instead of just the fookin stupid postcode lottery of payments they are now employing for this..... as old people get cold in all areas of the UK not just in certain streets.  :no: :no: :no:

Just one more thing i guess with high speed fibre optics we will be able to get the speed we should be getting anyway on copper before throttling strangles us lol 

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Will Fibre Optic cable Bring The UK Up To Speed ?

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.022 seconds with 21 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx