gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 19, 2024, 06:21:11 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  Can't upload files
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Can't upload files  (Read 5957 times)

Libby

Can't upload files
« on: January 12, 2009, 07:52:00 pm »
I have been using WinMX for years.  Then about 10 days ago my computer died and since it was fixed I can download files but no one can upload files from me.  I've tried fixing this by forwarding my ports and checking my firewall and everything seems fine - except that files aren't uploaded. 

Getting my computer up and working again required a new motherboard, sound card, and hard drive and my operating system  is Windows XP professional SP2.

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
Re: Can't upload files
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 10:15:44 pm »
Is a specific error message shown Libby or do the files just time out for those requesting them, do they even connect or is the "connecting" message shown ?

Libby

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 05:10:01 am »
They don't connect at all.

Offline tig

• Forum Member
  • WinMXWorld.com Help_AE182F4EBABE
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 10:44:01 am »
What firewall and anti-virus are you using? Have you upgraded anything over this time?
People become really quite remarkable when they start thinking that they can do things. When they believe in themselves they have the first secret of success. BY Norman Vincent Peale

Libby

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 03:00:50 pm »
I use Avast 4.8 antivirus and Windows Firewall which is set with WinMX as an exception .

My Operating System was updated from Windox XP Home Edition SP1 to Windows XP Professional Edition SP2.

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 08:17:20 pm »
All I can suggest is that you go through the entire router set up routine again and temporarily nobble the firewall for a minute or two to ensure its not the cause of your troubles Libby, often the internal IP of a networked machine can change and cause just this problem but its actually faster to head to portforward.com and walk through the routine again to be on the safe side.

Also can you check your MX "Settings" and look at the tcp and udp port settings (look at the list on the left) and make sure they are not blank, if they are it means when mx was set up it failed to reach the test server and has set you up in a default way that wont be helpful for good connections, adding the ports manually in "settings" can often fix this simple problem and remember to restart mx if you undertake changing the ports.

Libby

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 03:49:35 am »
I've done all that and files still can't upload.  

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 04:19:49 am »
It sounds as if either a difference in WinMX Settings from before, or the IP of the PC has changed due to the updates in hardware.

What router do you use?
What ports are set up in WinMX > Settings > Incoming TCP & In/Out UDP?
Are those ports set up in the SP2 firewall, on the WinMX exception?
Be sure your using the correct IP address when making rules in that router, along with the correct ports?

Libby

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 06:32:21 pm »
What router do you use?  My router is ASUS AM 604g

It sounds as if either a difference in WinMX Settings from before, or the IP of the PC has changed due to the updates in hardware.

What ports are set up in WinMX > Settings > Incoming TCP & In/Out UDP?
Incoming TCP connection:  26690
In/Out UDP packets:  26250

Are those ports set up in the SP2 firewall, on the WinMX exception?
Yes.  I have 3 entries for exceptions in the SP2 firewall: 
1. Name:  winmx  Port number: 26250 UDP
2. Name:  Winmx  Port number: 26690 TCP
3.  An entry for the WinMX application.

Be sure your using the correct IP address when making rules in that router, along with the correct ports?
The IP address of my router is 10.0.0.138. 
In NAT -- Virtual Servers Setup on my router:
Server name   Ex. Port Start   Ex. Port end   Protocol     Int. Port start  Int. Port end   Server IP Add.   
WinMX1           26690              26690          TCP/UDP     26690              26690         10.0.0.138
WinMX2           26250              26290          TCP/UDP     26250              26250         10.0.0.138

There does seem to be some popup blocker working on my computer.  It's not the Internet Explorer popup blocker and I don't see any popup blocker listed in my programs - but I keep getting notices that popups are blocked.

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 08:41:58 pm »
Hi LIbby, the address of your router is the problem.

If that is correct the IP address 10.0.0.138 is the Routers IP or your Default Gateway Address.
In order for your rules to forward traffic correctly to/from your Computer you must use its address.  It will be similar to the Gateway but usually just the last number is different.

Find it by clicking Start > Run > type in cmd and say OK.
In the black box that appears type this  ipconfig   then click the Enter key.

Next you will see your Address's the one you want to include in your rules is listed as IP Address.

Try putting that into the router rules instead should get you back up and running.  I wouldnt worry too much about the blocker, per say in regards to WinMX some pop up blockers can cause issues getting to your router configs (as many open new small frames for settings) but obviously yours is not one like that.

Libby

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 10:42:04 am »
I tried it and I still can't upload.  So I tried doing it and also changing the port number in WinMX setings, the router, and Windows firewall and then restarted Win -  and I stil can't upload.

It's so frustrating.  I've been uploading and downloading with WinMX for years and I don't want to  just download.

Do you have any other suggestions? Perhaps some Windows setting that changed between Windows XP Home Edition and Windows XP profesional or between SP 1 and SP2 that might be interfering with my uploading?

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 01:52:38 pm »
Hi Libby

There is no real difference in Home Edition SP1 and this XP Pro Edition SP2 really, the firewall is located in its own icon in the control panel but it works virtually the same.

This is puzzling, but can you do a test for me:
Go to the WinMX > Settings > Incoming TCP - set this to Unable.
Go to the WinMX > Settings > In/Out UDP - set this to Unable.

Now restart your WinMX in secondary mode for me, and see if the uploads work. 
If they dont its likey that your ISP has coincidently began throttling your WinMX Traffic at the same time as this other issue.
If this does work we know we have still not got a setting in something (router, firewall, ...) correct.

Libby

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 06:27:32 pm »
I set both parameters to "unable" and still can't upload files.

Download yes, upload no.

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009, 07:15:27 pm »
Thats not good news Libby  :no:
Because WinMX has the facility to work for users behind firewalls/routers they have no control over, it doesnt require ports to be set up to upload.  Setting it to Unable and it still doesnt work means one of two things

Most likely and common reason is ISP throttling Traffic, some ISP's do this to a point where it won't work at all.  Now most of the time now days we see this its uploads and downloads, however it has been seen in the past to be uploads only.  If this is what is happening nothing we do can fix it.  Unfortunately the only way to test this is to get hooked up with a dial up connection (many places offer free hours per month, but I'm not sure about where you are, you'd have to do some research) and see if the transfers work right (uploads). If they do then you can be 100% sure  its throttling.

The other common issue would be a firewall, or some type of protective software (like for example spyware protection or even system file protection) can cause issues, but if you're only running what you've told us here, its doubtful any of those would do this, by chance do you have Windows Defender installed? or Threatfire?  Those are two that can cause this same issue, Windows Defender just needs WinMX allowed in it, but threatfire blocks all traffic up, and has to be removed.

To be honest it sounds like you have everything installed right, forwarded in the router correctly, and allowed in Windows Firewall, so I'm just about at a loss of what to try next.  It sounds like the ISP to me :S

Libby

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2009, 06:49:16 am »
I checked with my ISP and nothing has changed there.

I don't see Windows defender or threatfire installed on my computer.

The reason I thought it might be the new version of Windows that's now installed is that I've had problems with Windows updates affecting my internet connection in the past.  Once an update changed the settings on my router so that it automatically turned off to save power when I wasn't using my email or browser - which of course cut off my downloads and uploads.  It took me ages to figure out what was going on and how to fix it.

Then another time I couldn't only upload, not download, for about a month because an update changed some Services settings.

That's why I turned off automatic update - it just wasn't worth the hassle.  But when my computer was fixed, a whole bunch of updates were installed at once.

In any event, I appreciate your trying to help me, and if you have any other ideas about what might be causing my upload problem and how to fix it, please let me know.

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2009, 05:29:00 pm »
I think Libby if your willing to have to do some explaining to some folks that it might be worth a trip to the main help room located on WinMX.
WinMXWorld.com Help_AE182F4EBABE

You can always direct them to this thread to read what you have done so far, in there, but its easier sometimes to diagnose issues in live time, were we can test uploads/downloads etc and see what maybe causing the problem.  There are also many minds in there, someone may have a better idea what things to look out for as far as updates or services that may cause your issues.

LIbby

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2009, 04:36:15 pm »
 I contacted the help room and they found the solution in a couple of minutes. They asked me to create a new shared folder and when they could upload from the new folder without a problem it became clear that for some reason, even though my folder for WinMX files was listed in the WinMX library, it wasn't shared.  So I added it to the library again and voila - my WinMX can now upload.  

Thanks for your help!

Offline charlie101

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2009, 02:26:28 am »
I have the same exact problem when you created a new shared folder where did you put it. My music is in My Documents My Music. is this correct or incorrect.
Thanks
Charlie101

Offline ]-[êll.Ôñ.ËÀR'][']-[.

• WMW Volunteer
  • Its hard being me...but i do it just great.
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2009, 08:18:16 pm »
For some reason a lot of people have this problem when there shared is in the default music folder .... i tend to make a new folder and sub folders in my documents for winmx shares eg: main called winmx shared & inside 1 for music 1 for films etc then set your shares to the various sub folders ..... hope this helps it has been a cure for many a winmx user in the past myself included  :)

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  Can't upload files

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.021 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx