gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 16, 2024, 12:38:14 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Most Americans without broadband don't want it
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Most Americans without broadband don't want it  (Read 1797 times)

Offline DaBees-Knees

• WMW Team
Most Americans without broadband don't want it
« on: January 26, 2009, 03:42:19 pm »
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/01/23/poll_most_without_broadband_dont_want_it/

While the US government is considering spending $6bn to expand broadband access to under-served areas as part of a wider economic stimulus package, a new survey suggests most American high-speed internet holdouts simply aren't interested in broadband. The study by the research firm Pew Internet & American Life Project indicates that the barriers to greater broadband adoption in the US run much deeper than a lack of availability. Penned by Pew's Associate Director for Research John Horrigan, the study takes into account separate surveys of both dial-up users and people who go without internet entirely. The 4,245 folks polled were asked for the reasons they don't have a broadband connection at home. For dial-up users, 35 per cent said the price of broadband needs to drop before they'd make the switch. A surprising 19 per cent responded that nothing would make them upgrade to broadband. Only 14 per cent cited a lack of availability where they live as the reason for living with dial-up. For non-internet users, the majority (33 per cent) of respondents said they simply weren't interested in getting online. Only 13 per cent said they don't have internet access at home because it's not available. Other reasons cited by non-internet users: the internet is too difficult (9 per cent), it's too expensive (9 per cent), it's a waste of time (7 per cent), they're too busy (7 per cent), and they're too old to learn (3 per cent). Adding both tallies together, Horrigan finds that only 14 per cent don't have broadband at home because of a lack of availability. This certainly would seem to undermine the potential of Obama's broadband stimulus plan. According to the poll, larger issues keeping Americans away from broadband are cost and difficulty. By the numbers, 18 per cent avoid broadband because of the price, and 17 per cent cited issues of usability (they think it's too difficult, they have a disability, etc.) The largest barrier — and probably the hardest to combat with a government program — is good ol' fashion American apathy and indignation. More than half (51 per cent) of respondents just aren't interested in broadband. "To be sure, targeting efforts to address infrastructure gaps and cost barriers could, within a few years, boost broadband adoption by as much as 10 percentage points," Horrigan wrote. "And one-third of existing broadband subscribers are low hanging fruit to adopt faster broadband soon after its available. However, one-in-five Americans currently don't have broadband for reasons that won't be addressed by price cuts or a fiber node in the neighborhood. It will take time to get them up and running on broadband -- probably longer than the impacts of a stimulus package are intended to last." Of course, the $6bn broadband funding included in the stimulus bill isn't the end-all of Obama's broadband deployment promises. According to whitehouse.gov, the president's plans do include promotion of next-generation internet technologies and addressing its cost.

I find this rather surprising, but maybe the recession is having a greater effect than I thought.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
Re: Most Americans without broadband don't want it
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 05:30:18 pm »
I find this rather surprising, but maybe the recession is having a greater effect than I thought.

i take it you arent from or living in the US? the article is right... its just pure stubborness (and many times ignorance... AOL anyone?)... not the recession...

tho i fit in the 'its too damn expensive' category of holdouts (i couldnt pay what they wanted -before- the recession... let alone now)....

and the lack of competition doesnt help lower the price.... when it comes to broadband... its either NSAT&T or your local anal-rententive, port blocking, traffic throttling, low quality, bad tech support cable company.... ... or if your way out in the 'sticks' you can fork over $300/month for a dialup-speed sattelite connection cos even dialup would be a long distance (read: expensive) call... (pick your poisin)....

youve got two types of internet using americans... the AOL types that dont really know what they are doing and the smart ones that know that regardless of what isp they use they are getting screwed...

Offline ñòóKýçrÕôK

• my name is nooks, and I approve this message
  • MX Hosts
  • Dream BIG, Live BIGGER!!
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 09:22:36 am »
youve got two types of internet using americans... the AOL types that dont really know what they are doing and the smart ones that know that regardless of what isp they use they are getting screwed...

What if fit in both of those catagories??? :nerd: And sa for the ones who don't want it they can get the hell out of my way to be honest. I have wanted it for years now. :pray:
When you wake up each morning always try to remember tomorrow is never your option, it's God's. Love like you want to. Live like you aren't afraid. And ALWAYS try to remember that even if it seems personal it's never as important as something you may have forgotten to do today.

WinMXWorld.com Help_AE182F4EBABE - For WinMX help or help on other pc related matters.
WinMXWorld.com Cafe_AE182F4ECAFE - For great chat.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 11:23:00 pm »
What if fit in both of those catagories???

an AOL type thats getting screwed? i can see that ;)

btw, the one half-available broadband isp out here cant even get the 'cable tv' part right (talk about a screwed up over amplified picture) let alone the 'cable internet' part ... ive got friends who use the same company and its not uncommon to see then randomly disappear and reappear on my pidgin (many different IM services program) contact lists... then there are the 'hiccup' moments... when they and other cable ISP users keep switching on/off like a string of xmas lights...

DSL seems to be a lot better when it comes to this type of phenomenon (dedicated instead of shared connection may help) but it hasnt managed to upgrade its way out here yet...

...i'll 'hold the phone' (dialup) till it does.... which most likely will never happen...

...then theres the 'fiber to the home' pipe dream... but here in america... where the road infrastructure isnt even updated regularly (how many bridge collapses does that make now?) i doubt the internet infrastructure will be seeing that kind of quantum leap in my lifetime....

Offline Daniel

• Forum Member
  • chiot mignon
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 04:50:38 am »
I'm glad Obama is spending money on this. Running fiber optic cables will drive down the price, of dare I say, slower Internet services like cable and DSL. I know that Comcast only offers "Comcast Blast!" in the areas where Verizon fiber optic is available just to compete with them.

:yes:
- Have a nice explosive day.

Offline Cobra

• Forum Member
  • I'm not me.
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 09:11:14 pm »
I don't have broadband because I can't stand the tech support for most major ISP's. Either you connect to someone from India that barely speaks English, connect to someone reading off of a screen and has no training (which works for situations like, "My computer won't come on." but very little else), or you get transferred 20 times taking 3 hours for something that the final person was able to help you with in 5 minutes.

My dial-up ISP requires those in tech support to do more than take a week-long course. They have to have previous experience, a college degree in a computing field, and I don't remember what else right now. They are all also very personable: the person who answers the phone works with you the whole time, and if the tech is puzzled on what should be tried next because the usual tricks are not working so far, I can hang up, they gather and discuss the issue (without putting me on hold so that I can go about my business), and when they have something new, they will continue to call ME back until I answer in order to begin helping me again.
Downloading is an addiction I do not want to give up.

Offline ñòóKýçrÕôK

• MX Hosts
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 10:24:12 pm »
What if fit in both of those catagories???

an AOL type thats getting screwed? i can see that ;)

I think you know what I meant but I'll get a little more into it. I happen to like AOL. I like its ease of use. And unlike an unknowlable AOL user I do not let it on my startup. And believe me it tries every time you start AOL. I do not let it install all of the bloat it wants to install because I do not need it. So therefor perhaps someone could tell me how it's screwing me. It's free as long as I don't need it to connect. Which I don't. See AOL is another one of those things like people who say Windows users deserve what they get. Which is what? Programs that are easy to use? Programs that without taking the responcibility of your pc into your own hands that can cause you drama and issues? The answers to both of those questions happen to be true. Just because you don't like something hardly makes someone who does an unknowledgable user or mean they don't know what they're doing. The right management with any pc program or os can be good for anyone who wishes to use it and just because some either can't afford a better situation, pc, os, or isp doesn't always make it bad or a good thing to say it's bad.
When you wake up each morning always try to remember tomorrow is never your option, it's God's. Love like you want to. Live like you aren't afraid. And ALWAYS try to remember that even if it seems personal it's never as important as something you may have forgotten to do today.

WinMXWorld.com Help_AE182F4EBABE - For WinMX help or help on other pc related matters.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 02:58:33 am »
I think you know what I meant but I'll get a little more into it.

it was a joke nookie (did you miss the winking smily?).....

however "AOL" has become synonymous with "internet n00b" (along with many more... mostly more derogitory... statements)...... just like windows has become infamous for the BSOD...

even linux... due to early versions having a steap learning curve is still frightning to potential new users... making 'getting it out there' a bit harder than it should be...

btw, you contradicted yourself a bit;
.......I happen to like AOL. I like its ease of use.  -------  And unlike an unknowlable AOL user I do not let it on my startup. And believe me it tries every time you start AOL. I do not let it install all of the bloat it wants to install because I do not need it.  ------- Windows users deserve what they get. Which is what? Programs that are easy to use?......

hmmmm....

So therefor perhaps someone could tell me how it's screwing me.
i would say constantly fighting with a commercial product thats supposedly easy to use is getting a bit screwed... (esp when you need to be 'knowledable' enough to hack the program... whose EULA most likely states that doing such voids your "rights" to use the softwares licence... into submission... you did read the EULA right?)

not trying to piss in your cheerios here.... just pointing a few things out...

Offline ñòóKýçrÕôK

• MX Hosts
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 04:03:52 am »
I have not hacked it not one time. And it easy to use. I do not fight it and yes I saw the smiley. I use spybot S&D and the Teatimer attachment that comes with it. When installing AOL it tries to put itself in startup then and Spybot asks do I wish to allow that. I simply say no and from there on it doesn't allow it ever to put itself there. The reason I know it tries every time you start it is because Teatimer notifies you that it has tried and been blocked. It's not really a fight so I don't feel like it is screwing me over. Once  I install AOL when it asks to update I simply click the remind me later stuff.  I do agree on the part about the linux. It's probably the reason I have never tried to fool with it myself. Plus I like my Windows OS so I stick with that. It's not perfect but I like the ease of use. That's all. :D

PS. I think we've gotten a bit offtopic of this thread. HELL YES I WANT BROADBAND!! And obviously I wasn't one of the 90yr old polers they must've asked about their desire for broadband who didn't even have running water or a working indoor bathroom when they were born so obviously they couldn't give a rat's ass about broadband, lol.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 01:53:14 pm »
I think we've gotten a bit offtopic of this thread.

that we indeed did... a joking jab that i guess i jabbed too hard with :/  mia culpa...

HELL YES I WANT BROADBAND!!

aie!! more wind in the sails would be nice... but lets us hope it never leaves us in dire straits or costs us more shine than we be willin to part with......  ;)

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Most Americans without broadband don't want it

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.024 seconds with 26 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx