gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 28, 2024, 05:55:43 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Six editions of Windows 7
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Six editions of Windows 7  (Read 683 times)

Offline DaBees-Knees

• WMW Team
Six editions of Windows 7
« on: February 04, 2009, 08:24:29 am »
http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/02/official-windows-7-skus-revealed-s

After a ton of guesswork and rumors flying around, Microsoft has finally confirmed what much of the evidence was pointing to: there will indeed be six editions of Windows 7, just like there were for Windows XP and Windows Vista. Customers will be able to choose from Windows 7 Starter Edition, Windows 7 Home Basic Edition, Windows 7 Home Premium Edition, Windows 7 Professional Edition, Windows 7 Ultimate Edition, and Windows 7 Enterprise Edition. The news comes hot on the heels of the Windows 7 Ecosystem Readiness Program announced yesterday. All editions will be available in worldwide markets except for Home Basic, which will be offered in emerging markets. Starter will be also available worldwide but only via OEMs. Here is how the different versions differ from each other:

* Windows 7 Starter (worldwide via OEM only): up to three concurrent applications, ability to join a Home Group, improved taskbar and JumpLists
* Windows 7 Home Basic (emerging markets): unlimited applications, live thumbnail previews and enhanced visual experience, advanced networking support (ad-hoc wireless networks and Internet connection sharing), and Mobility Center
* Windows 7 Home Premium (worldwide): Aero Glass and advanced windows navigation, improved media format support, enhancements to Windows Media Center and media streaming, including Play To, multi-touch and improved handwriting recognition
* Windows 7 Professional (worldwide): ability to join a managed network with Domain Join, data protection with advanced network backup and Encrypting File System, and print to the right printer at home or work with Location Aware Printing
* Windows 7 Ultimate (worldwide): BitLocker data protection on internal and external drives, DirectAccess for seamless connectivity to corporate networks based on Windows Server 2008 R2, BranchCache support when on networks based on Windows Server 2008 R2, and lock unauthorized software from running with AppLocker
* Windows 7 Enterprise (volume licenses): same as Ultimate, includes the following improvements: DirectAccess, BranchCache, Search, BitLocker, AppLocker, Virtualization Enhancements, Management, as well as Compatibility and Deployment.

Why someone at Microsoft thinks it's a good idea to produce this many versions escapes me.

Offline Trestor

• Forum Member
  • Your call is important to us ...
Re: Six editions of Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 04:09:03 pm »
I had thought that the intent of Windows was that a user wouldn't have to become a computer geek to use a computer, that the OS would make the computer as easy to use as a white good. All these different choices seem to require that the buyer become a computer geek just to work out which Windows variant to buy.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 02:18:47 am »
its really the same OS... its just how much money are you willing to pay to unlock which set of features.... and since MS doesnt want to loose out on those not willing to pay the insane prices they lock stuff out and ship a cheaper 'less capable' version...

Offline Cobra

• Forum Member
  • I'm not me.
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 03:15:53 am »
*scratches head*  This is the most clueless I have ever been about what version would be the best suited for me if I ever bought into it.
Downloading is an addiction I do not want to give up.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Six editions of Windows 7

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.021 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx