gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 29, 2024, 01:44:11 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Fresh start for lost file formats
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Fresh start for lost file formats  (Read 742 times)

Offline DaBees-Knees

• WMW Team
Fresh start for lost file formats
« on: February 15, 2009, 08:12:59 am »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7886754.stm

Long lost file formats could soon be resurrected by pan-European research. The 4.02m euro (£3.58m) project aims to create a universal emulator that can open and play obsolete file formats. Using the emulator, researchers hope to ensure that digital materials such as games, websites and multimedia documents and are not lost for good. The emulator will also be regularly updated to ensure that formats that fall out of favour remain supported in the near and far future. Called Keeping Emulation Environments Portable (Keep), the project aims to create software that can recognise, play and open all types of computer file from the 1970s onwards. As well as basic text documents it will also let people load up and play old computer games that technology has left behind. "People don't think twice about saving files digitally - from snapshots taken on a camera phone to national or regional archives," said Dr Janet Delve, a computer historian from the University of Portsmouth and one of the research partners on Keep. "But every digital file risks being either lost by degrading or by the technology used to 'read' it disappearing altogether," she said. Without work to preserve ways to access the formats that are common today, 21st century citizens risk leaving a "blank spot" in history, said Dr Delve. Already the number of unreadable documents in archives is beginning to mount up. Britain's National Archive estimates that it holds enough information to fill about 580,000 encyclopaedias in formats that are no longer widely available. Research by the British Library estimates that the delay caused by accessing and preserving old digital files costs European businesses about £2.7bn a year. "We are facing a massive threat of the loss of digital information. It's a very real and worrying problem," said Dr David Anderson, who will work with Dr Delve on the UK end of the project. "Things that were created in the 1970s, 80s and 90s are vanishing fast and every year new technologies mean we face greater risk of losing material," he said. Dr Anderson said emulation was more workable in the long term than the usual method of preserving old files which involves migrating information on to new formats with its attendant risks of data degradation and corruption.

Ah the dream of everyone ...... a single piece of software that plays everything. I wish them luck.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
Re: Fresh start for lost file formats
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 12:07:13 pm »
dont they already call this MAME?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAME

Offline Cobra

• Forum Member
  • I'm not me.
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 05:39:26 pm »
This would be sweet!
Downloading is an addiction I do not want to give up.

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 09:11:34 am »
spectrums dizzy on my pc would be fun. would remind me of being of 10 lol
The Solution to 99% of winmx problems

nap.winmxgroup.net        -ONLINE again YAY!!!!!! :D

Praise's daily at the church of "Kopimi"

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Fresh start for lost file formats

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.02 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx