Well thanks, but having done the uninstall of both WinMX and MXPie (which was still hanging around), and removing the residual WinMX folder from 2004, I reinstalled from the winmxconex site and hand-set my settings again. I was hopeful and then 18 minutes in.... the first download message at the top of the window " 1 DL @ 0 B/s " when I was merely waiting to connect to a user.
At this moment I show 2 DL's @ 0 B/s when infact I have no downloads, I got a file complete while I was away having supper, but at this moment none.
In observing some more, I see this scenario... I searched for a file I could easily download and pressed download on two sources of the file. Immediately, while the transfer says "connecting, negotiating" or "connecting to remote user" I show 2 DL's. Once Winmx either connects or times out or goes in to the queue, the status on how many DL's I show always changes to reflect this. For time outs, no DL is counted. For Files in queue, again no count. For an actual DL, there is a count. And for the few moments that Winmx is negotiating or connecting, there is always a count, if temporarily. Truly wierd.
I also should report that about a month ago Windows Update rebooted my session in the night and next day when I started WinMX I got the wizard, which was so surprising to me that I just went through it and set my settings again. That's when I noticed the odd stuff with the incomplete files. I found a thread on this earlier and went "Aha!"
So to stop Windows Update from rebooting while I sleep I have changed my automatic updates setting. That should help it from happening like that again.
As for the other problems I had with my incompletes not loading properly or with AFS/AEQ settings and duplicate incompletes, it is too soon to tell if I have fixed that behaviour. If so, then I will gladly live with the above problem and consider it a good day's work. Thanks, I'll repost as things develop.