gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76775 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 26, 2024, 07:46:12 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  v3.53 Com.Patch1.0 My install behaves wierdly, but is usable...reinstall?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: v3.53 Com.Patch1.0 My install behaves wierdly, but is usable...reinstall?  (Read 1581 times)

Offline geomagix

• Forum Member
I installed the community patch 1.0 some months ago and have experienced WAY BETTER download performance than my old MXPie version.  I do, however, experience some strange behaviours with WinMX now, and hope to get some tips from you on how to improve things.  I've done a few searches, but couldn't find the right posts.  I am running XP and a secondary connection.

1. Top of WinMX window - X# DL's is usually noted as a number like 6 for example, when I have 0 current DL's.  Is this a gliche?
Does anybody else get this?   :crazy:

2. Since the patch, when I leave WinMX running and am AFK, upon return I notice that my incompletes list looks shorter....so I have to LOAD INCOMPLETE to get 5 or 10 of my incompletes back.  Their AFS/AEQ settings never come back the way I've defaulted them in Settings.  What causes these files to disappear from Transfers?  And why doesn't my default setting come back with them when I reload?  Note this only happens to files that are actively queueing and then time out prematurely.  Purge Inactive and Clear Incomplete Downloads are NOT ticked on.

3. Recently, I have Loaded Incomplete and gotten a copy of a file which is already in the transfers window...  it could be in queue already (purple), but when I Load Incomplete, shows up (in red) at the top, same byte count.  What causes this?  Happens to maybe 5-10 files.

I know that my incoming files folder is pointing to the correct directory, it was the first thing I checked. 

Any advice is appreciated.  Thanks for reading my post!   :kiss:  Maybe I should just reinstall... 

geomagix

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
Hi GeoMagix, welcome to the forum  :-D

To be honest  I haven't ever heard of half of these problems some are only potentially possible is something is messing with your settings.dat file, my advice is to delete the WinMX folder completely in "program files" and then reinstall, its important that you reinstall MX as well as the patch at the same time into a fresh folder, using the old folder again will not have the same renewing effect as a fresh folder..

Remember to make a note of your WinMx ports if they are customised and set these manually when you reinstall to their old value to save yourself setting up any port forwarding, this may be unnecessary but its unlikely to hurt.

When you have done all the above please let us know if the problems persist so can dig deeper into what the potential causes are with you.

Offline geomagix

• Forum Member
Well thanks, but having done the uninstall of both WinMX and MXPie (which was still hanging around), and removing the residual WinMX folder from 2004, I reinstalled from the winmxconex site and hand-set my settings again.  I was hopeful and then 18 minutes in.... the first download message at the top of the window " 1 DL @ 0 B/s " when I was merely waiting to connect to a user. 

At this moment I show 2 DL's @ 0 B/s when infact I have no downloads, I got a file complete while I was away having supper, but at this moment none. 

In observing some more, I see this scenario... I searched for a file I could easily download and pressed download on two sources of the file.  Immediately, while the transfer says "connecting, negotiating" or "connecting to remote user" I show 2 DL's.  Once Winmx either connects or times out or goes in to the queue, the status on how many DL's I show always changes to reflect this.  For time outs, no DL is counted.  For Files in queue, again no count.  For an actual DL, there is a count.  And for the few moments that Winmx is negotiating or connecting, there is always a count, if temporarily.  Truly wierd.

I also should report that about a month ago Windows Update rebooted my session in the night and next day when I started WinMX I got the wizard, which was so surprising to me that I just went through it and set my settings again.  That's when I noticed the odd stuff with the incomplete files.  I found a thread on this earlier and went "Aha!"
So to stop Windows Update from rebooting while I sleep I have changed my automatic updates setting.  That should help it from happening like that again. 

As for the other problems I had with my incompletes not loading properly or with AFS/AEQ settings and duplicate incompletes, it is too soon to tell if I have fixed that behaviour.  If so, then I will gladly live with the above problem and consider it a good day's work.  Thanks, I'll repost as things develop.

Cheers,  geomagix

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
Hi Geomagix
Just wanted to let you know a few things..

1. Top of WinMX window - X# DL's is usually noted as a number like 6 for example, when I have 0 current DL's.  Is this a gliche?
Does anybody else get this?

That is perfectly normal and as far as I'm aware all WinMX Clients post 3.31 report those the same as active downloads while negotiating a connection.
However misleading it is a normal occurrence.

As for your having to run the start up wizard after that update and restart, thats also very normal.  Not wanted on a regular basis for obvious reasons but quite common.

Here is a page with some information on that issue:
https://www.winmxworld.com/help/winmx-settings-setup_wizard.html

As for the problem your having with your Incompletes it almost sounds similar to some of the Vista users issues, although you said you're on XP so just post back if that continues to be a problem and we'll research that more.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  v3.53 Com.Patch1.0 My install behaves wierdly, but is usable...reinstall?

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.019 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx