gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 20, 2024, 01:48:07 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Irish ISP Agrees to Block BitTorrent Tracker sites
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Irish ISP Agrees to Block BitTorrent Tracker sites  (Read 607 times)

Offline DaBees-Knees

• WMW Team
Irish ISP Agrees to Block BitTorrent Tracker sites
« on: February 25, 2009, 03:19:55 pm »
http://www.zeropaid.com/news/10026/Irish+ISP+Agrees+to+Block+BitTorrent+Tracker+Sites

Eircom will prevent customers from accessing file-sharing websites in a chilling agreement with the music industry. In a settlement between record companies EMI, Sony, Universal, Warner and Ireland's largest ISP, Eircom has agreed to work with the record industry to combat illegal downloading. The Irish Recorded Music Association (IRMA), which represents the major music groups, is to begin compiling lists of web sites that it claims are damaging its business. IRMA will then apply for a court order, requiring Eircom and other internet providers to block access to these sites. Eircom will then not contest any court order, meaning that the requests are automatically granted. "We have said we would not oppose an action to the courts," said a spokesman for Eircom. This is added to a previous settlement reached by it and the IRMA a few weeks ago in which Eircom agreed to implement a "three-strikes" policy targeting illegal file-sharing by its subscribers. Using an "independent" company to monitor Eircom's network for piracy, the record labels will provide the ISP with the IP addresses of users suspected of copyright infringement. But, considering that the "independent" company will surely be on the payroll of the music industry it's not likely to err on the side of caution when targeting alleged file-sharers. Moreover, it's a frightening proposition to think that private business interests can dictate what websites customers can and cannot visit, and is eerily reminiscent of "The Great Firewall of China."

It makes me wonder just how much money is passing hands to reach an agreement like this? I'm surprised that there haven't been more legal challenges to this action, but maybe they will come later. It will be interesting to see if Eircom will be as enthusiastic once they start losing customers.

Offline Trestor

• Forum Member
  • Your call is important to us ...
Re: Irish ISP Agrees to Block BitTorrent Tracker sites
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 06:51:05 pm »
Another ISP beating itself with the Stupid stick.

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
Re: Irish ISP Agrees to Block BitTorrent Tracker sites
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 07:30:29 pm »
Quote from: from bullshit news
"It wasnt me downloading music, it was the wee lepricons" defense in ireland was used so abundantly and always won that their required stricter copywrite control and pressure was mounting on a Eircom to comply!!!!

All they have done the stupid morons is beggin policing thier own networks. I know what my real defense would be if i was irish. Im sorry Mr Music man, i thought my ISP stopped me from doing such things. I seen it on the news. Naughty Eircom. Then a nice big fat claim to Eircom for getting me in the poo
The Solution to 99% of winmx problems

nap.winmxgroup.net        -ONLINE again YAY!!!!!! :D

Praise's daily at the church of "Kopimi"

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Irish ISP Agrees to Block BitTorrent Tracker sites

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.02 seconds with 24 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx