gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76775 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever May 04, 2024, 10:58:10 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Microsoft Cracking Down On Piracy
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Microsoft Cracking Down On Piracy  (Read 926 times)

Offline Daniel

• Forum Member
  • chiot mignon
Microsoft Cracking Down On Piracy
« on: February 27, 2009, 05:54:22 am »
FOR THOSE OF YOU who come online to escape the nagging wife, bad news is ahead – Microsoft is introducing what can only be described as 'nagware' in an attempt to stamp out piracy of its beloved operating system. The new Windows Genuine notification software will aim to stop the stolen and pirated versions of software being circulated using new Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) which comes into effect this week.

The WGA notifications will be delivered via Windows Update and will default the users background to black if the copy is deemed counterfeit. A spokeswoman for Microsoft said that, "the update simply reconfigures the notifications experience to mirror notifications in Windows Vista SP1." This annoying piece of inspiration will make it easier for Microsoft to detect stolen and pirated software as well as fake product keys.

The spokeswoman continued to say that, "Microsoft is making these changes to simplify the installation process (making it easy for customers to stay up-to-date), to increase the effectiveness of these notifications, and to align experiences across Windows XP and Windows Vista." – hmmm.

The nagware will be aimed specifically at XP Professional users for now, as Microsoft believes this is the most pirated edition. XP users who don't have WGA notifications will be asked to accept an End User License Agreement which gives the users consent for the anti-piracy validation control to auto-update itself with fewer releases. Microsoft thinks this irritant will take a couple of months to roll out – you have been warned.
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/877/1041877/microsoft-adds-nagware-windows

JUST UNDER HALF OF AUSTRALIANS think it is fair dinkum to use pirated Windows and Office software according to Microsoft. They have decided to release Office Genuine Advantage (OGA) software down under to cope with what it feels is a rising tide of pirating in Godzone. The OGA, like Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA), operates through the Windows updates service.

Microsoft said that it wants to convince the 45 per cent of users who said OK to using pirated software on its survey that they are "at risk" by using anything they haven't paid Microsoft for. Oddly most of the threat will now come from Microsoft switching the software off.
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/804/1050804/half-australians-stealing-windows-ok

CHINESE USERS are furious at Microsoft for daring to launch a version of its Windows anti-piracy tool which targets Chinese computer users to ensure they buy genuine software. Microsoft has released its glorious Windows Genuine Advantage program into China where the software is hotter than a Chicken Vindaloo in the center of a nuclear reactor.

The Chinese version turns the user's screen black if the installed software fails a validation test. China's vocal bloggers seemed stunned that their computers seemed to have phoned Microsoft for the anti-piracy tool without asking. "The computer is mine", one angry blogger penned, "Microsoft has no right to control my hardware without my agreement", the poor fool thought.

Another complained that the cost of authorized versions was too high. "If the price of genuine software was lower than the fake one, who would buy the fake one?" he said. Er, someone who didn't want their screen turned black, perhaps?

According to Reuters , Dong Zhengwei, 35, a Beijing lawyer, dubbed Vole the "biggest hacker in China with its intrusion into users' computer systems without their agreement or any judicial authority". He was convinced that Microsoft had broken Chinese law by introducing WGA behind the bamboo curtain.

Dong said that while he respected the right of Microsoft to protect its intellectual property, it is taking on the wrong target with the wrong measures. It should target producers and sellers of fake software, not users. A spokesperson at Microsoft said that WGA was part of its commitment to help protect its intellectual property and to help punters avoid problems before they happen.
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/428/1015428/chinese-fume-microsoft-anti
- Have a nice explosive day.

Offline DaBees-Knees

• WMW Team
Re: Microsoft Cracking Down On Piracy
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 06:45:07 am »
The obvious answer is to turn off automatic updates.

Offline RReactor

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 10:59:24 am »
I don't ever update any of my computers with Microsoft's  spyware and  garbage in the auto update  as you don't know what you are getting,  if Linux would get a little more user friendly microsoft  will have to step back and humble themself's alot
RReactor

Offline FlapJack

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 05:00:40 pm »
This is why I always check which updates Windows is trying to install before I allow them to install.

This way, I avoid this new WGA program.
"When we don't know who to hate, we hate ourselves." Chuck Palahniuk

Offline Trestor

• Forum Member
  • Your call is important to us ...
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 04:51:13 am »
Add to this that even if you manually monitor the offered updates before allowing installation, you don't know the nature of what you are getting. For example, if they say, 'Security Update', and 'fixes a vulnerability', what does that mean? It could be protection from hackers or it could be officially sanctioned malware. And those who say, 'If you've done nothing wrong you have nothing to fear,' don't know the real world. I have a licensed XP, but I still don't trust Microsoft.

Offline RReactor

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 10:59:40 pm »
if you have xp sp3 i really wouldn't even allow anymore updates cause in my opinion microsoft are the biggest bunch of hackers and spyware installers on the net. even looking at what the file says it is are you sure that they don't have something else embedded in it
RReactor

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Microsoft Cracking Down On Piracy

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx