gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 29, 2024, 03:06:44 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  How Do We Fix Crappy U.S. Broadband?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: How Do We Fix Crappy U.S. Broadband?  (Read 1110 times)

Offline DaBees-Knees

• WMW Team
How Do We Fix Crappy U.S. Broadband?
« on: February 25, 2009, 11:02:07 am »
http://www.fastcompany.com/blog/chris-dannen/techwatch/how-do-we-fix-crappy-us-broadband

According to a recent study, broadband access in the U.S. has dropped to 19th place worldwide. The recent passage of the stimulus bill will provide about $7 billion to improve it. But why is U.S. broadband so crappy in the first place? And can government intervention improve it? For a little insight, I sat down with Emily Green, CEO of the Yankee Group, a Boston-based consultancy that specializes in connectivity. They consultancy advises network providers, manufacturers, media companies and financial services companies, and also specializes in helping those companies deal with public regulations. The Yankee Group recently wrote an open letter to President Obama about the need for an "anywhere" network. In it, it argues that a Federally-motivated expansion of wired and wireless communications is one of the most vital components of economic recovery, community service, and improved health care and education.

Is broadband access in the U.S. really that bad?
There was a note in The New York Times the other day that sent me around the bend. There was a convocation of broadband industry folks a few days ago, and they came out and said that if you looked at the right metrics, the U.S. is actually number one in broadband access. Anyone who says that is engaging with delusional metrics. For a country that's as advanced as we are, and has provided so much leadership in the commercialization of the Internet, our deployment of broadband technology is pathetic and embarrassing.

What's the problem?
We're not short on ideas. We're short on people's understanding of the importance of a comprehensive, seamless, high-capacity digital network. A lot of articles in the media discuss the stimlulus' "shovel-ready" projects. But we need a network that is digital-worker ready. If we had that, we could re-shore some of the jobs that are leaving the country. We are moving to a service-based economy, away from a manufacturing economy. The projects in the stimulus that will have the longest impact won't be the bridges and roads. But to get that kind of economy, do we need the government to work with private companies? Many ISPs won't even divulge maps of their coverage to regulators. There is great economic benefit for the whole country if we have an expansive, higher capacity network. But for these companies, holding information close to the chest is genetic; it's an attitude born of long habit. It's as if they're saying, 'I'm not sure what will create my competitive advantage, but information is power--so I'll withhold as much as possible.' It's not a very Google-era perspective. Do they have good reason to protect that information? This information is too critical to stay private. Here's an exact analogy: Just because many highways in the U.S. are managed by independent companies, that doesn't mean we let them withhold information about where those roads go, or which facilities are at each stop. We're at the stage now where information highways are just as important as our physical highways.

A good comparison between highways used there. (Note, I have edited this article. if you're American and would like to read more go to the link at the top)

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
Re: How Do We Fix Crappy U.S. Broadband?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 02:45:34 pm »
what broadband? we have broadband?

Offline Cobra

• Forum Member
  • I'm not me.
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 04:58:31 pm »
what broadband? we have broadband?
:lol:

Easy way to fix things: move to Japan.
Downloading is an addiction I do not want to give up.

Offline Daniel

• Forum Member
  • chiot mignon
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 05:08:18 pm »
US broadband isn't bad. Mine works well. It's just slower than other places in the world. I think satellite Internet might be the answer for rural areas. It doesn't make much sense to hire workers and run cable to a rural neighborhood with only a few people. The ISP would never profit off it.
- Have a nice explosive day.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 05:13:31 pm »
Easy way to fix things: move to Japan.

ohh if only.... uber miniskirts (uber technically translates as "very"), cosplay, "kawaii" (and all it encompases), kemono (not a typo... google it), and gigabit internet connections....

Offline Happy Dude

• MX Hosts
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 10:03:39 am »
I love my Australian broadband!
up to 24/1mbps ADSL2+ for $54.95/mth AUD ($35.56 USD)!

...oh, and the 20GB cap both ways.

Quit yer bitchin!

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 01:46:03 pm »
@Daniel;

read this post?: https://forum.winmxworld.com/index.php?topic=7702.html

and sattelite is more expensive than dialup by leaps and bounds (300$ just for the equipment and its installation... and the FCC requires a 'professional' install the equipment so no-do-it-yourselfsers out there... it also means your fscked if you use linux... cos these 'professionals' only do windows) and its about $60/month and its about as fast as 128K ISDN and the lag (gotta go to space and back... and lets just hope its not a cloudy day...) means no online gaming or VoIP of any kind.... trust me... ive looked into it....   

even had a sattellite TV installer (who actually qualified for the title of professional... he actually knew what the hell he was doing beyond the basic training they give at 'dish' school) say "trust me... dont get sattelite internet" (for the exact speed, lag, and price reasons i stated above) ... and no im not kidding...

sattellite internet has become a pet-peve of mine since it seems to have become the US' semi-offical solution to those who dont currently have 'broadband'... when its not a solution... its a damn excuse...

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 05:21:06 pm »
In All honesty. Id have say wireless is the way forward for most rural areas, it would be by the cheapest, build a few hundred feet mast in the air. Stick a ariel on the top. and have professionals fix small masts to each home and pipe a line into a customers home. Persoanlly i could see this being a hell of alot cheaper than trying to pipe cables and stuff to everyones home.

Im also hopefull of this fiber to the cabinate. I know its a sell out, but in another post some MP in the uk their has said that everyone must have access to at least 2mb. Now yes that is poor, but think of the dynamics to providing this.

Personally the only real way i can see this is by making more mini exchanges dotted all over the country. Small hut buildings etc like they have for the gas pipes round the country. and re-route phone lines to that. more mini exchanges to me seems like a feasable idea to providing this. and should make many peoples phone lines shorter, and boosting the countrys speeds for many of its people. That is a feasable way, but nothings run that way in this capitolist country. And i cant quote on how america is run lol.
The Solution to 99% of winmx problems

nap.winmxgroup.net        -ONLINE again YAY!!!!!! :D

Praise's daily at the church of "Kopimi"

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 08:24:40 pm »
now terrestrial wireless i am for... be it wimax or a resurrection of the old ricochet system... or even more cell phone towers..... (just as long as they make a phone or cell modem that has an ethernet port)

you wouldnt really need an areal installed on the house (tho granted it would help)... the cell networks even out in the sticks are plenty fast with just the phones.... (as long as youve got a line of sight shot to the tower)....

watch for what cometh over the horizon after the DTV switchover (if they dont keep pushing the date back)

Offline Daniel

• Forum Member
  • chiot mignon
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 04:18:26 am »
@Silver Stripes

I wasn't talking about the $100 a month, bandwidth capped, hughe's net / DWAY that is available in the USA right now. I was talking about what other countries have done. Take Japan for example, not too long ago they shot a satellite into space that "let users have Internet speeds up to 1.2 gigabytes" and "regardless of their location, only need to simply install a small antenna in their house or apartment that will allow them to "receive data at up to 155 Mbps and transmit data at up to 6 Mbps".

http://www.betanews.com/article/New-Japanese-satellite-could-boost-Internet-speeds/1203970459

According to the BBC, launch and operation of Japan's satellite is estimated at US$480m. We spend 4 times that amount each week in Iraq, so money wouldn't be an issue.

There's also the option of having 1 big satellite dish that auto-adjusts the signal strength and some other things, which makes it unaffected by the rain, then have cables run a short distance from the dish to the people who want broadband Internet service in rural communities.
- Have a nice explosive day.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 12:06:45 pm »
There's also the option of having 1 big satellite dish that auto-adjusts the signal strength and some other things, which makes it unaffected by the rain, then have cables run a short distance from the dish to the people who want broadband Internet service in rural communities.

they do that with cable TV (oddly enough when you get cable you are really getting sattelite :lol: ) so thats very plausable...  but try talking them (whoever 'they' may be) into setting up a big dish when they wont even run lines past my next door neighbor.... (many cable companies have come and gone since cable was run out here.... so those lines put up back in 1990 are whats apparently going to stay.... we are the last two on the street with the ability to access cable... its COX tho so it would be completely useless for internet.. at least what i and every other winmx user would want to do with the internet anyway...)

Take Japan for example, not too long ago they shot a satellite into space that "let users have Internet speeds up to 1.2 gigabytes" and "regardless of their location, only need to simply install a small antenna in their house or apartment that will allow them to "receive data at up to 155 Mbps and transmit data at up to 6 Mbps".

but thats japan.... and you kinda stepped on your own toes cos this;

According to the BBC, launch and operation of Japan's satellite is estimated at US$480m. We spend 4 times that amount each week in Iraq, so money wouldn't be an issue.

is the united states....

the US is -stuck- in iraq... so money -is- an issue.... it took 8 years to seriously screw this country up.... its gonna take a lot longer to fix it... (if possible) dont hold your breath for a similar setup japan has -any- time soon... be it affordable sattelite to the home or remote BUDs (big ugly dish) distributing the internet over a twisted pair or coax cable... or even current DSL and cable systems pulling their heads out of the sand....

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  How Do We Fix Crappy U.S. Broadband?

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx