gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 29, 2024, 01:06:16 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  Be Nice To a Leech !
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Be Nice To a Leech !  (Read 1755 times)

Offline DoctorMesserschmitt

• Forum Member
Be Nice To a Leech !
« on: October 14, 2007, 03:22:43 pm »
I have talked to a couple of leeches lately instead of cutting them off. One told me that s/he was “one of the original Napsters”, had just done a reformat and would be adding a 100Gig collection later that day. Another told me they were setting up a machine for a friend, and would certainly be explaining to the friend. Another just said “this is all I can share at the moment”.
Anyway, whether I believed them or not, I let the leeches download what they wanted, and chatted about the music. The files I let them have were original, and it struck me that by being nice to a leech, these files are also more likely to be available to others when I am offline. Presuming, that is , that the leeches are not the mean type that purposefully empty their shared folders. For the record, I believe that most leeches are not this kind of mean type. I confess that the first time I ever used Napster in the early days I was on a PC that had no music library at all ! I was using the program to build a library and liven up a dull, workplace PC!!  Similarly, I have also been in a position where system maintenance, rebuilding etc. has meant that I am on WinMX, but with no files at all in my library. Temporarily of course.
All things considered it struck me that leeches are necessary for the healthy running of the network, for this reason I have no interest in Leech Hammer or MXMonitor. In fact, I blame these programs for giving me short shrift when I have been in a compromised situation. Am I right ? It is healthy for Winmx if we are nice to leeches once in a while, & make an effort to find out where they are coming from ?
Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere.

Offline ]-[êll.Ôñ.ËÀR'][']-[.

• WMW Volunteer
  • Its hard being me...but i do it just great.
Re: Be Nice To a Leech !
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 04:24:20 pm »
I agree with you fully on the points you have made DoctorMesserschmitt ... i also have no time for Leech Hammer or MXMonitor as everyone has to start from somewhere and not all can be fortunate enough to have a library of files to share straight off for varying  reasons.... i know some people will say they can share this item or that one that they may have but a lot of people i come across have no idea how to put there media etc on a pc to start with & sometimes will appreciate the help others can give them.

Talking to people and trying to educate them in the basics of a file sharing network is always the best policy .... that said there will always be a few selfish people that ruin things for others.
perhaps a text file in your shares asking people with 0 files to let you know the reason they are not sharing would be the way to go at least those with a plausible reason would be worthy of a start.... although i suspect serial leeches will always find a good excuse for their actions.

But to enable winmx to grow then we have to help out the new users as much as possible and if that means sharing to to people with no files then so be it as far as i am concerned because out of all those shared .... if a good percentage share the files they have obtained also it has to be good for winmx in the long run.

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 04:47:28 pm »
Thank-you friend ! and Hear Hear ! :D

I might need some help myself with adding a text file, is there a tutorial on here ?
Thanks.

Offline ]-[êll.Ôñ.ËÀR'][']-[.

• WMW Volunteer
  • Its hard being me...but i do it just great.
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 05:44:12 pm »
To add a message you have to make a new folder to share (namining it eg: leeches msg)  then right click within this folder & select new text document and create a new text docu for each line you wish to show up in your shares naming each one seperate to keep them in order for when ppl browse you eg:

##a    <<<<name 1st text docu with your 1st line in it to this
##b    <<<<name 2nd text docu with 2nd line in it
##c    <<<< so on
##d    <<<< & on
untill you have all the lines you require making sure each line in each text docu isnt to long or ppl wont be able to read fully without adjusting their browse screen ( something some ppl dont no is possible)
once you have completed your message add the folder ( previously named leeches msg or whatever you decide to name it)  to your library making sure you check the box to allow .text documents to be shared
a tip... when nameing the folder you wish to share leave a couple of blank spaces b4 the name title this will ensure it goes to the top of your shares when browsed by others.

I applaud  your attitude to filesharing DoctorMesserschmitt & please dont hesitate to post for any help you may require at any time  as there is always plenty on hand here to help ppl as and when its required with plenty of good advice.

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 08:10:49 am »
OK, nice walkthrough, thanks very much.
 : )

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 01:40:35 am »
i used to use leechammer for the 0 of 0 hack users (the -true- leeches)....

i dont use anything anymore cos noone seems to download from me (guess dialup is to slow for their impatient tastes)

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  Be Nice To a Leech !

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.018 seconds with 24 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx