gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 18, 2024, 09:07:15 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  UK Government Looking To Attack Filesharers Worldwide
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: UK Government Looking To Attack Filesharers Worldwide  (Read 964 times)

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
UK Government Looking To Attack Filesharers Worldwide
« on: March 03, 2009, 02:22:40 pm »
Eyes up folks, it looks like an anti-filesharing agenda is creeping nearer the surface down in the UK cabinet.

http://www.zeropaid.com/news/10036/UK+Wants+Global+Anti-File-Sharing+Plan

According to the UK's culture secretary, Andy Burnham, an international strategy is required to effectively fight illegal file-sharing.
"I am working towards an international memorandum of understanding, it is time for much more serious dialogue with European and US partners," he told the Guardian.

"No solely national solution will work. It can only be durable with international consensus."
In the UK, he wants a 70-80% reduction in online piracy and he’s looking to international partners to help him do it.
His plan is to establish an international framework including the US and European nations by the autumn. Involving other nations, he argues, bolsters the UK's own plans to fight illegal file-sharing.

Since the return of "Lord" Mandellson to the government it seems the priority is on making the recording and movie industries richer at the expense of the UK populace and enhancing their monopoly to stifle independent creativity, just who is supporting this amongst the general population is somewhat a mystery.

What we are seeing is an attack on filesharing illegal or not and that is something that must be heavily resisted at all costs.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
Re: UK Government Looking To Attack Filesharers Worldwide
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 02:43:41 pm »
he wants a 70-80% reduction in online piracy

:lol: good luck... every time someone builds a better mousetrap (or tries to anyway) someone (or group of someones) in the p2p community build a much harder-to-catch mouse.... (ants p2p... nullsoft waste... what comes next?...)

Offline Daniel

• Forum Member
  • chiot mignon
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 06:16:15 pm »
he wants a 70-80% reduction in online piracy

:lol: good luck... every time someone builds a better mousetrap (or tries to anyway) someone (or group of someones) in the p2p community build a much harder-to-catch mouse.... (ants p2p... nullsoft waste... what comes next?...)
I feel it will eventually get to a point where it's not worth the effort; it will either be too hard to do or too hard to stop.
- Have a nice explosive day.

Offline Cobra

• Forum Member
  • I'm not me.
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 06:59:32 pm »
They can't even stop viruses from spreading that no one even WANTS to have to deal with. How do they plan to stop online file sharing?
Downloading is an addiction I do not want to give up.

Offline DaBees-Knees

• WMW Team
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 08:13:56 pm »
I would have thought that the worlds governments had bigger things to deal with at the moment than a few shared files, but then that's politicians for you. They never did get their priorities right.  :whistle:

Offline ..Ñøßߥ..

• Core
  • We all wear masks... metaphorically speaking...
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 09:54:58 pm »
The end result of all this is fairly simple, i have said it before. In the not to distant future the internet is going to start to speed up, and not by a little either, movies, albums, and other large files are going to be exchange in seconds rather than minutes, hours, days. The message is clear, the music industry needs to embrace the internet and very very soon, or they will simply be left behind with the shire speeds that will be available. The cartels current track record of investigation against alleged illegal file sharers is poor in the extreme (under statement), imagine how bad it will get with the whole game speeds up x100 times, they will soon be extinct.

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
  • Linux:2003 FreeBSD:2004 Debian/BSD developer:2006
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 12:04:14 am »
this is prolly gonna sound like a dumb question but what happened to the diplomatic immunity stuff where you had to be tried within the country that you committed the crime. i know the state department has a real love/hate relationship with it. and i dont think this is going to help. you would have to determine where the crime took place since a person cant be in two palces at once.
BSD -  The Daemons Are No Longer Just Inside My Head.

Offline Daniel

• Forum Member
  • chiot mignon
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 12:45:41 am »
this is prolly gonna sound like a dumb question but what happened to the diplomatic immunity stuff where you had to be tried within the country that you committed the crime. i know the state department has a real love/hate relationship with it. and i dont think this is going to help. you would have to determine where the crime took place since a person cant be in two palces at once.
I think the sharer of a copyrighted file from country1 would be tried in country1, and the downloader from country2 would be tried in country2. I guess the RIAA / MPAA / etc just has to pick which person they want to go after first.
- Have a nice explosive day.

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 01:13:44 am »
Diplomatic immunity only applies to persons holding diplomatic positions within a foreign embassy or consulate, often such persons also hold a diplomatic passport that is different to the regular ones and exempts them from facing criminal charges in the country they are posted to.

I think what you really mean is the scope of something called "jurisdiction", this comes into play when crimes are committed in a country abroad, most courts will not entertain a charge unless there is some connection between the offender and their country, (such as having a server their or having visited their to commit the offence) in general unless its an extraditable offence there is no way to try such people unless they voluntarily return and most countries respect this view.

We are then left with what the UK government are working on, namely getting an agreement between many governments to crack down on sites (or site DNS's) hosted around the globe where they may be not in the country where the operator is based and thus out of their jurisdiction but within reach of another friendly nations clutches, in short the global governments who are paid large "donations" by the media Cartels, versus the filesharers.

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
  • Linux:2003 FreeBSD:2004 Debian/BSD developer:2006
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 04:48:28 am »
We are then left with what the UK government are working on, namely getting an agreement between many governments to crack down on sites (or site DNS's) hosted around the globe where they may be not in the country where the operator is based and thus out of their jurisdiction but within reach of another friendly nations clutches,

so its like tag teaming?
or is it more like the countries are tipping each other off with international crimes
BSD -  The Daemons Are No Longer Just Inside My Head.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  UK Government Looking To Attack Filesharers Worldwide

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx