gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 16, 2024, 10:04:04 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX on current Windows Versions  |  The Simple fix to the Vista download issue.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: The Simple fix to the Vista download issue.  (Read 5213 times)

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
  • Linux:2003 FreeBSD:2004 Debian/BSD developer:2006
The Simple fix to the Vista download issue.
« on: March 08, 2009, 01:59:07 am »
In all previous versions of Windows the folders were labelled "My Documents" "My Pictures" and important here "My Music"
With the release of Vista the folder names were changed to "Documents" "Music" ect ect.

The fix-
Open your winmx settings.
Select File transfers in the pane on the left.
At the top it says Incoming File Folder and there is a buttom that says "Change.."
Click change and you are presented with a file tree. the very top entry should say Desktop and the one below that should say Documents.
The Documents folder has a little triangle next to it to expand the folder.
Expand the Folder and you will see the music folder.
Select this folder and click ok.
Congrats you are done.

Why the problem exiists-
As mentioned before the names of the documents folder and its sub folder has had the word "my" stripped from them.
since the new kernel in VIsta has adapted concepts from POSIX compliant systems, it is able to create a symbolic link (I.E. you save something to folder A but it goes to folder D) but in addition to symbolic links it has acquired a better action permissions system (Read write ect ect)
Modifying data Through a symbolic link is seen as a secuirty breach and the system blocks it from happening (why your files continue to say incomplete)
and accessing a folder through two symbolic links is seen as an attempt to access core files *whether this is stopped by the Malicious software tool or by the kernel itself i am unsure of but it happens and thats what matters) and this is why you are unable to open the folder from winmx before the issue is resolved.

But please note that administrative rights do not need to be changed.
Everything that is stored under a folder for a user (documents and its sub folders) belong to that user.
That user can do whatever he/she wants with it read write modify delete copy paste ect ect.
BSD -  The Daemons Are No Longer Just Inside My Head.

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
  • Linux:2003 FreeBSD:2004 Debian/BSD developer:2006
Re: The Simple fix to the Vista download issue.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 12:40:23 am »
These instructions are now covered in the installation Guide for windows 7 and Vista.
So if you followed them and are still having issues please let one of us know.
BSD -  The Daemons Are No Longer Just Inside My Head.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX on current Windows Versions  |  The Simple fix to the Vista download issue.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.021 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx