gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 19, 2024, 06:14:17 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Windows 7 may allow Internet Explorer removal
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Windows 7 may allow Internet Explorer removal  (Read 1364 times)

Offline DaBees-Knees

• WMW Team
Windows 7 may allow Internet Explorer removal
« on: March 07, 2009, 10:48:32 am »
http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2238021/windows-allow-internet-explorer

A feature spotted in beta versions of Windows 7 could be an indicator that Microsoft will allow users of the operating system to switch off Internet Explorer. One of the features in build 7048 of Windows 7 includes a "Windows Features" dialog box, which allows certain applications and software functions to be switched off. One of those is Internet Explorer 8, and Media Player can also be disabled.
“I couldn’t believe this when I saw it, but it’s true,” said Windows enthusiast Chris Holmes, who spotted the feature. “Internet Explorer 8 is fully removable in Windows 7 build 7048. I believe this fully squashes the case that the EU has against Microsoft?” The Eu has fined Microsoft heavily for tying Internet Explorer closely into the Windows operating system. The company has also had to provide copies of the operating system for sale that don't include the browser. However, while features can be turned off it is not an easy process. “There is a catch: For now, this only seems to wipe the actual executable running Internet Explorer 8 (iexplore.exe), but given that many of the most vocal proponents of choice were just looking for an option to functionally remove IE8, this might’ve been the only way to do it without killing the rest of Windows,” said a posting on the AeroXperince blog, a site for Windows developers. “In addition, this actually takes two reboots and a configuration step to complete, so there’s definitely something going on behind the scenes (likely a remapping of where IE-related functions can be found for other elements in Windows so that Windows doesn’t complain about IE’s nonexistence).”

"However, while features can be turned off it is not an easy process." ........... now there's a surprise!

Offline tig

• Forum Member
  • WinMXWorld.com Help_AE182F4EBABE
Re: Windows 7 may allow Internet Explorer removal
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 10:50:47 am »
What is not a surprise when it come to windows. :S
People become really quite remarkable when they start thinking that they can do things. When they believe in themselves they have the first secret of success. BY Norman Vincent Peale

Offline Cobra

• Forum Member
  • I'm not me.
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 05:23:09 pm »
It's still a step forward! It may not be an easy process, but if there IS a process, then soon after the Windows 7 hits the market, people will be creating programs that make it much easier to remove IE through a few clicks of the mouse.
Downloading is an addiction I do not want to give up.

Offline Josh

• Forum Member
  • Thinking about tomorrow...
    • http://www.winmxunlimited.net
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 06:46:03 pm »
Microsoft actually did something smart for once.
- Josh

Offline Daniel

• Forum Member
  • chiot mignon
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 09:39:18 pm »
I bet virus makers will come up with an esay way to re-enable it. :lol:
- Have a nice explosive day.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 09:53:43 pm »
theres no possible way to 'remove' (in the uninstall sense) internet explorer.... but one has had the option to "turn it off" since at least 2kSP4

too many apps (incl winmx) depend on it and the shell of windows itself has been based on it since windows 98..... so where does one draw the line between the browser and the os?

Offline Daniel

• Forum Member
  • chiot mignon
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 01:08:48 am »
theres no possible way to 'remove' (in the uninstall sense) internet explorer.... but one has had the option to "turn it off" since at least 2kSP4

too many apps (incl winmx) depend on it and the shell of windows itself has been based on it since windows 98..... so where does one draw the line between the browser and the os?
Even when it's "turned off", it's still there. I tried opening Windows Explorer and typing in a web address one time, and it displayed the web page even though Internet Explorer was uninstalled. I believe the easiest way to disable Internet Explorer is to set the proxy setting to 127.0.0.1.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 01:43:21 am »
no no... if you set IEs proxy setting to localhost you might find a lot of other apps not able to connect (as they pull their settings from IE)

there is a 'disallowrun' registry key (lookit microsoft for it) that can stop iexplore.exe from running but it -still- wont stop the shell from accessing webpages... :/

Offline Josh

• Forum Member
  • Thinking about tomorrow...
    • http://www.winmxunlimited.net
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 06:38:19 am »
How do you all feel about the new taskbar? With those "previews" instead of the actual text?
- Josh

Offline Daniel

• Forum Member
  • chiot mignon
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 11:23:57 pm »
How do you all feel about the new taskbar? With those "previews" instead of the actual text?
I haven't seen it. Picture please! :D

no no... if you set IEs proxy setting to localhost you might find a lot of other apps not able to connect (as they pull their settings from IE)

there is a 'disallowrun' registry key (lookit microsoft for it) that can stop iexplore.exe from running but it -still- wont stop the shell from accessing webpages... :/
Perhaps I've just been lucky, but I haven't had any trouble with that. :)

Offline bu44er

• Forum Member
  • Hack The Planet
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 04:39:36 pm »
I have looked at the feature set to the new Windows and I think it looks a lot like Windows Vista. It seems they have stole some good ideas like the task bar preview, I am running Ubuntu and i think i have been able to preview task bat docked items for years. Personally I do not trust the work of Microsoft and it as been proven that there coding skills are not as good as they claim lol.

Just a quick question as anyone yet really tested it?
System(s) Configuration
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo T4500 CPU @ 2.3Ghz, 2048MB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit

Offline FlapJack

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 03:43:02 am »
I don't see why it shouldn't be removable.
"When we don't know who to hate, we hate ourselves." Chuck Palahniuk

Offline Daniel

• Forum Member
  • chiot mignon
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 05:38:44 am »
I was reading more about it today, and I found this:

Internet Explorer 8 cannot be uninstalled from Windows 7. According to Mayo, any feature that's turned off "will not be available for use, which means binaries and data are not loaded by the operating system (for security-conscious customers) and not available to users on the computer.

"These same files are staged so that the features can easily be added back to the running OS without additional media. This staging is important feedback we have received from customers who definitely do not like to dig up the installation DVD," he continued.

:/

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Windows 7 may allow Internet Explorer removal

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx