gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 19, 2024, 08:53:15 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Is Air Drumming Now A Crime?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Is Air Drumming Now A Crime?  (Read 922 times)

Offline DaBees-Knees

• WMW Team
Is Air Drumming Now A Crime?
« on: March 11, 2009, 06:06:03 pm »
http://www.zeropaid.com/news/10048/Is+Air-Drumming+Now+a+Crime%3F

Metal fan's air-drumming vid yanked from YouTube for copyright infringement.

A friend of mine passed along a post from a guy named Philip Kaplan who's lamenting the fact that an air-drumming video he made and posted to YouTube was recently removed thanks to a copyright infringement claim by Warner Music Group. Now to be frank, the music he rocks out to is pretty horrible. But, it makes for an interesting debate about how a band must feel when a fan makes a fairly popular video homage (it had over 3.5 million views) and then has to watch as their record label dictates how their fans can be fans. Kind of disturbing right? I've never heard of the band Suffocation nor have many of you I'm willing to bet, so it makes the actions of WMG all the more puzzling. I mean do they think that fans of the band will simply watch Kaplan's video instead of buying and listening to the real deal?

Kaplan, observing the video's popularity, has suggested several ideas to remedy the situation:
    (1) give me a license to use the song, or...
    (2) I am happy to sign away the rights to this video to the band/label/whoever, at no cost. Consider it your music video.
"I’m just a fan," he writes. "I also consider myself the director and performer in what is arguably the most popular death metal music video in history! Lets keep it online. If you know anyone involved with WMG, Roadrunner Records, Suffocation, or the music industry in general, please forward this page to them."

The band's biggest official music video has been viewed only 315,000 times compared to the 3.5 million for Kaplan's video. Exposure is what Suffocation apparently needs most, but it ironically may just suffocate at the hands of its very own record label WMG. You know, the one who supposedly cares so much about music artists?

What idiot at WMG decided this sort of publicity for the band was harmful? If this wasn't so stupid you could laugh.

Link - http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8kucw_death-metal-office-drumming

Offline Daniel

• Forum Member
  • chiot mignon
Re: Is Air Drumming Now A Crime?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 07:20:25 pm »
I've had that happen to two of my videos before. There's some automated software that copyright holders can use to identify pictures and music within the videos on youtube. What's so annoying to me is that the copyright holders have all the power on the site. One of mine got taken down because I put a screen shot of RuneScape's website on my video. I'm sure that would fall under fair-use.
- Have a nice explosive day.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 08:12:29 pm »
a lesson to the band from the school of hard knocks of 'why you dont sign your life away to the music industry' ?

Offline RReactor

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 10:53:36 pm »
ɟןǝsɹnoʎ ǝuop ʇno ʎןnɹʇ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ sǝǝuʞ ɹɐɟ os ןɐɔıʇɹɐ ʇsǝq ǝɥʇ ǝq oʇ ʇoƃ sɐɥ sıɥʇ
RReactor

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 12:56:59 am »
"you have truly out done yourself" is the only thing i can get from that... try a 'rightsideup' charset

Offline Cobra

• Forum Member
  • I'm not me.
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 07:34:59 am »
It says "this has got to be the best article so far Knees you have truly out done yourself"

Boy am I glad people don't type like that constantly, though!
Downloading is an addiction I do not want to give up.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Is Air Drumming Now A Crime?

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx