gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 28, 2024, 01:06:06 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Fake Torrents Alert
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Fake Torrents Alert  (Read 757 times)

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
Fake Torrents Alert
« on: March 15, 2009, 10:22:16 am »
I know many WinMX users often get files from bit torrent also and it seems the big trackers are suffering from many fakes atm.

http://torrentfreak.com/fake-axxo-torrents-bombard-bittorrent-090313/

Uploading fakes to BitTorrent is a growing phenomenon, as unscrupulous individuals try to abuse the networks for their own ends. Just lately, some people have even been offering users money to post suspect torrents and this morning, a flood of hundreds of fake aXXo torrents were uploaded to Mininova.

Uploading fake files to file-sharing networks is nothing new. Older networks such as KaZaA’s FastTrack and LimeWire’s Gnutella have long been a haven for junk and malicious files but as more and more people migrated to BitTorrent, it naturally became a target.

Uploading fakes to a BitTorrent network is relatively easy.
There are several forces driving this phenomenon. Of course, the likes of the MPAA and their partners like to upload fakes in order to waste downloader’s time and to monitor their activities. That said, there are others who are uploading fakes in order to make themselves money, with many of the fakes simply encouraging the use of malware such as Domplayer, or sending the user ostensibly to get passwords to view the video, but in reality directing them to spammy sites.

I think folks have it easy on this network, but its clear the Cartels are getting desperate and trying any sort of dirty trick to remove folks from using any of the filesharing networks, at one time we where able to trace a malware vendor on WinMX to an italian site that was operating under a media companies banner, they will and do try everything they can to attack filesharers, be alert if you use other networks . 

Offline Daniel

• Forum Member
  • chiot mignon
Re: Fake Torrents Alert
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 06:29:12 pm »
A problem I've noticed lately by viewing comments on torrent files are password protected .avi and .wmv files that direct the downloader to install fake DRM software (aka spyware) to watch the movie they downloaded.
- Have a nice explosive day.

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
  • Linux:2003 FreeBSD:2004 Debian/BSD developer:2006
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 08:33:07 pm »
these usually happen on Big movies. people will see Cams for movies that arent even out yet and DVD rips. axxo's name is usualy faked on early DVD releases. general rule of thumb is dont download a cam if it was posted before the movie is in theateres and dont grab a dvd rip unless its within 3 weeks of release (when the movie stores get them and employees often rent and rip them early)
also as daniel sad comments help spot fakes
as far as screeners go i have never seen a fake screener but i have gotten some of a horrid quality before
BSD -  The Daemons Are No Longer Just Inside My Head.

Offline Trestor

• Forum Member
  • Your call is important to us ...
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 12:05:12 am »
One definition of a Fool (there are many) is someone who, when a tried action doesn't work, keeps trying it in the hope that it will work. Hello MPAA.

And to think that most of their problems would go away if they stopped fighting and regarding their customers as their enemies, and instead introduced an equitable distribution system that satisfied the desires of the people. (In case the RIAA and MPAA don't understand that mysterious word 'equitable': it means that BOTH sides get what something they want, not that your side gets everything and we get nothing.)

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Fake Torrents Alert

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx