gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 18, 2024, 11:02:19 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Microsoft launches latest browser
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Microsoft launches latest browser  (Read 1446 times)

Offline DaBees-Knees

• WMW Team
Microsoft launches latest browser
« on: March 21, 2009, 12:27:25 am »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7952505.stm

Microsoft has launched the latest version of its web browser, Internet Explorer 8 (IE8). Microsoft says that IE8 is more secure, allows users to cut down on common tasks and will be an integral part of its forthcoming Windows 7 system. Although IE is still the most popular browser, it faces stiff competition from Google, Firefox, Opera and others. The release is Microsoft's first major browser update since 2006, when the company released Internet Explorer 7. "Customers have made clear what they want in a Web browser - safety, speed and greater ease of use," said Microsoft boss, Steve Ballmer. "With Internet Explorer 8, we are delivering a browser that gets people to the information they need, fast, and provides protection that no other browser can match." Speaking to the BBC, Chris Green - the former editor of IT Pro - said that despite the "marketing puff" the new version of Internet Explorer was a significant improvement on previous editions. "I've been using Internet Explorer 8 for more than six months and is vastly better than IE7, which was big on features but poor on performance. The relationship between IE and Windows is called anti-competitive by some and essential by others. "The safety features in IE8 are very good. It can spot dubious websites and alert you if you're about to fall foul of, let's say, a phishing website, because it has a constantly updating list of dodgy sites."

Simple searching
Microsoft has also introduced a feature that it is calling "accelerators" which, say the company, make it easier to perform web-related tasks directly from the page by simply right-clicking a word or phrase. Computer Active's deputy editor, Tom Royal, told the BBC that it was refreshing to see Microsoft pioneer features in a web browser rather than playing catch-up. "The accelerated menu is something no other browser has. "The contextual popup menus are a real step forward - for example, highlighting and right-clicking on a postcode automatically brings up Google maps. "This has real potential and will make surfing the web much easier. I'm sure others will follow up with something similar," he added. Microsoft has also taken a leaf out of Mozilla's book when it comes to searching. While Firefox allows users to switch between sites like Amazon and Wikipedia, IE takes this a step further, displaying a preview of suggested searches and results appearing in a drop-down list. Searching topics can be done with a mouse click within an existing page. The new browser can also follow news headlines and track eBay auctions, weather forecasts and blog posts with a feature the company is calling Web Slice, which is, essentially, a news ticker on the favourites bar. Microsoft's share in the web-browser market has been steadily declining and it remains to be seen whether IE8 can reverse that trend. "A browser is still a very personal choice," said Mr Royal. "Some people like theirs simple and fast, while others want stuff with loads of features. IE has always been all things to all people but the perception is that it's the browser that's just there rather than the one you would choose to use. "For now, I would avoid using the new version not because it isn't any good, it's that there are usually lots of undiscovered bugs and security flaws on any piece of new software," he added.

"For now, I would avoid using the new version not because it isn't any good, it's that there are usually lots of undiscovered bugs and security flaws on any piece of new software,"" There's a truth if ever there was on.  :evil:

Offline Daniel

• Forum Member
  • chiot mignon
Re: Microsoft launches latest browser
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 02:10:19 am »
I have the beta version of IE 8 installed on 3 of our computers, and I've only experienced one bug so far. I'm not able to highlight text and then drag the mouse down to select the whole page. Instead, I have to highlight, then use the scroll wheel.
- Have a nice explosive day.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 06:16:56 am »
'edit > select all' is quicker (if the 'file' 'edit' etc menu is still in exploder 8 )

Offline Daniel

• Forum Member
  • chiot mignon
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 06:30:24 am »
'edit > select all' is quicker (if the 'file' 'edit' etc menu is still in exploder 8 )
I'm aware of Ctrl + A, but I couldn't use that. I was re-listing an auction on ebay, and I wanted to copy the auction information without selecting everything else.
- Have a nice explosive day.

Offline RReactor

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 06:01:55 pm »
why use it the bugs havent been worked out
RReactor

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
  • Linux:2003 FreeBSD:2004 Debian/BSD developer:2006
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 06:15:44 pm »
can't find or work out bugs without using it.
I would think its a safe bet to say 40% of the bugs that were discovered and fixed after IE7 was released was because someone using it did something microsoft didnt and discovered the bug.
BSD -  The Daemons Are No Longer Just Inside My Head.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 06:27:34 pm »
since ms is a business you'd think they'd work the bugs out themselves...

arent there laws against selling defective products? ;)

Offline ñòóKýçrÕôK

• my name is nooks, and I approve this message
  • MX Hosts
  • Dream BIG, Live BIGGER!!
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 06:39:01 pm »
can't find or work out bugs without using it.
I would think its a safe bet to say 40% of the bugs that were discovered and fixed after IE7 was released was because someone using it did something microsoft didnt and discovered the bug.
since ms is a business you'd think they'd work the bugs out themselves...

arent there laws against selling defective products? ;

Yes there are but that is product and software that is given free and "as/is" would not fall under that sort of law. I think probably the more acurate depiction is that yes they use the software prior to release in real world setups but likely they can't possably cover all the individual real world setups that we as users would come into so they'll never be able to get ALL the bugs out of ANY software prior to release. Which is why we have updates and updated software later that usually ends up either working better or being nothing like it was originally intended, lol.
When you wake up each morning always try to remember tomorrow is never your option, it's God's. Love like you want to. Live like you aren't afraid. And ALWAYS try to remember that even if it seems personal it's never as important as something you may have forgotten to do today.

WinMXWorld.com Help_AE182F4EBABE - For WinMX help or help on other pc related matters.
WinMXWorld.com Cafe_AE182F4ECAFE - For great chat.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Microsoft launches latest browser

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.021 seconds with 24 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx