gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 20, 2024, 03:24:52 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Technical  |  Protocol Discussion  |  cache servers
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: cache servers  (Read 4621 times)

Offline macleod

• Forum Member
cache servers
« on: May 21, 2008, 05:40:52 am »
if a person wanted to help winmx by making more cache servers is this an easy process or is it a real pain as i'd like to give back i've been on mx for years and would like to help out with some extra servers if i can

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
  • The Sky will never Fall on our heads
Re: cache servers
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 09:31:19 am »
It isn't a lot of pain I guess but then there are various issues involved.
Pm ghostship or micromecca for details.
As I see it, the chache servers aren't really an issue at the moment. The network suffers more from a lack of users than aything else. mainly because of the multiple times the caches had been shut down or various reasons, Although the situation has improved a lot and is continuing to do so.

Cheers :P
Reconnect to winmx with the blocking patch :)
Patch link :
 https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Spread the word now :)

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 09:36:00 am »
Hi Sam, can tell you been away a while Micromecca isn't a member here any more.

The problem with the caches is solely a case as the software isn't wanted to be freely distributed, its handed to a user who is known and is considered trustworthy as we wouldn't want it to fall into media hands.

If you have the facilities to host, ie a server, id recommend you take a trip to the chat room. Their a few folks can talk with you and the group could maybe make a decision. But as it has happened in the past its always been someone well known to the group.
The Solution to 99% of winmx problems

nap.winmxgroup.net        -ONLINE again YAY!!!!!! :D

Praise's daily at the church of "Kopimi"

Offline bu44er

• Forum Member
  • Hack The Planet
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 03:44:31 pm »
I have asked the same thing and Deux said the same thing to me. I understand that people do not want the Peer Cache Software to distrubuted freely. I am very upset that i could not have the software but thats the way things go.
System(s) Configuration
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo T4500 CPU @ 2.3Ghz, 2048MB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 10:51:39 pm »
The sole reason for not handing out the software to every person that asks is trust.

The entire edonkey network was undermined by fake industry run servers that polluted the whole network and caused havoc, those who operate the WPN caches do a great and selfless job, many remain anonymous so that they cant be targetted by the cartel who by flooding the search traffic and bombarding users with udp packets show they are willing go to barrel-scraping lengths to damage this network, this is no idle supposition, some years ago they hired hackers to target many torrent sites to plant "evidence" and steal emails, they are a force not to be underestimated and will go to extreme lengths to achieve their goals.

Bearing this in mind those currently operating the caches have a proven track record of help and a stable personality, this is the most important part of the selction for us as it is possible to misdirect users to  a "fake" network and the more caches there are the more likely is the possibility that one day this will occur, please dont think bad of the group for doing their best to watch out for your interests, perhaps today we dont need more caches but the fact that you have offered is borne in mind for the future and their exists the possibility that this could lead to you being asked to help when needed, I know this is not the reply you may have wished to hear but remember we all have a wish to keep the WPN operating and we have so far managed to do so by ensuring the selection of folks is strictly on personal merit, availability of required hardware and as expansion requires.

On behalf of the group here I do wish to thank you for your offer Zero, as mentioned above if a space opens up we may well contact you privately to discuss going further if thats your continued wish.

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 05:19:47 pm »
Hi Zero,

It wasnt that i wouldnt just give you it, i showed you user cache software in the archive and a way of making it work so you could conduct the tests that you was asking to do. I wasnt being funny when i said no but im afraid i dont know you from adam. I see you have a good post count here but before you came asking me for  the cache software i dont recall a situation where our paths have crossed. I do though have you in my msn which only some folk do have which was a show of me least allowing yo drop my guard. I also very quickly described to you how the system works but my greatest quirk was that you dont know how to code, So providing you with any greater resources was pointless.  Im always happy when people ask to host, their is a system in place for doing so but we have 8 caches supporting winmx at the moment and that is major over kill. Adding another just offers another point of failure as you will only be hosting from a home connection. Home connections are great in emergency's and my line at home has been a cache provider for many years, but we are moving away from home connections now that we have a few good server operators running caches. I hope i havent disappointed you too much and as i say you have me on msn and can grab me to talk any time, maybe when i get to know you further down the road you will be called upon. If their is one thing ive learnt about winmx, is things can change very quickly.

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
  • Linux:2003 FreeBSD:2004 Debian/BSD developer:2006
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 12:13:49 am »
i know this was some time ago. b4 km switched his domain to mxstuff.org but i recal he had the cache servers for download on the site with a note below them that said -if you dont know what these then you should have no intrest in them-
BSD -  The Daemons Are No Longer Just Inside My Head.

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 10:44:34 am »
They where user caches bacon. A very basic cache that is now useless or very nearly on the network. They where designed to index KM's DLL and although im guessing might still work with abit of hostfile messing are useless in todays operation. They are posted in archive on this site too in KM's directory if you would like to go look. But in all honesty for opertaion now you would be lucky if they connected at all. as all they did was index his DLL's.

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
  • Linux:2003 FreeBSD:2004 Debian/BSD developer:2006
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 09:13:33 pm »
when i originally tried to use it i think it wanted freetype installed. since i was using in runlevel 3 i deemmed it a hassle and never installed it. the windows version i never really looked into

and if you get it to connect you can always index icedragon =P
BSD -  The Daemons Are No Longer Just Inside My Head.

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 10:22:42 am »
lol

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Technical  |  Protocol Discussion  |  cache servers

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.021 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx