gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 29, 2024, 01:29:40 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMX Lyte  |  IBM not just x86
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: IBM not just x86  (Read 931 times)

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
  • Linux:2003 FreeBSD:2004 Debian/BSD developer:2006
IBM not just x86
« on: March 30, 2009, 02:01:42 am »
Upon reading this article over at CNET it seems that the IBM x86 support will soon also encompus Sun microsystems' SPARc and PowerSPARc systems. As a prenotion to a merger IBM is producing SPARc blades capable of running inside an IBM blade center.
Source:http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10206753-64.html?tag=newsLatestHeadlinesArea.0

An IBM server vice president discussed IBM's strategy to tap into Sun Microsystems' customer base, in the wake of reports that IBM is in talks to buy the Santa Clara, Calif.-based server supplier.

IBM is rumored to be working toward a merger with Sun mostly due to the strength of Sun's server business. SPARC is Sun's chip architecture, while Solaris is Sun's operating system that runs on both SPARC chips and x86 processors from Intel and Advanced Micro Devices.

"Sun has a terrific installed base," Alex Yost, vice president IBM BladeCenter, said in a phone interview earlier this week in response to a question about Sun as a competitor.

Yost went on to say that IBM has an active business of migrating customers from Sun's SPARC architecture to x86-based servers. "I have a number of clients that are looking to go to Solaris on x86 or Linux on x86," he said. "That's very much something that we're actively doing."

Yost added that there are some IBM customers that require Sun's SPARC architecture. "We also have some clients in very specialized environments that require native Solaris on SPARC," he said. For these clients, IBM has partnered with Themis to offer SPARC blade server on IBM BladeCenter, Yost said.

Part of the challenge of absorbing Sun would be to integrate Sun's products with IBM's. On its Web site, Themis describes its T2BC Blade Server as enabling Solaris applications "to run natively, on an UltraSPARC T2 chip...within an IBM BladeCenter." The Themis product description continues: "The T2 Blade Server can share the same chassis with server blades that utilize other processor architectures and operating systems."

*Note to admins: This didnt fall under the Winmx news sections definition but i thought it worth sharing, and since its off topic i felt it most suited for the Lyte section. Fell free to move it as you wish
BSD -  The Daemons Are No Longer Just Inside My Head.

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
Re: IBM not just x86
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 03:54:52 pm »
he's almost as good a bullshitter as you are, bacon...
What you think is important is rarely urgent
But what you think is Urgent is rarely important

Just remember that...

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMX Lyte  |  IBM not just x86

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.019 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx