gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 19, 2024, 05:49:13 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  British Internet users realize free means ads
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: British Internet users realize free means ads  (Read 2441 times)

Offline ..Ñøßߥ..

• Core
  • We all wear masks... metaphorically speaking...
British Internet users realize free means ads
« on: April 09, 2009, 07:55:43 pm »
KPMG has published a report that found British Internet users are 'happy' to watch ads online or on their mobile as long as they can get content such as music or video for free.

Rather than happy, I'd say British Internet users were probably more resigned to seeing ads online if they want free content. In other words, as KPMG's survey discovered, rather than pay for content the majority (60%) will suffer ads. Only 16% of users in the U.K. said they would rather pay for online content than watch ads.

Cartel should take note me thinks.

http://www.bizreport.com/2009/04/british_internet_users_realize_free_means_ads.html

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
  • Linux:2003 FreeBSD:2004 Debian/BSD developer:2006
Re: British Internet users realize free means ads
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 10:21:27 pm »
back when dial up was King,
(can anyone say "do you remember back in the 90s"?)
there were a few american ISPs that offered Advertisement paid free dial up. But as time passed and the software used to force the ads was labelled a security threat it eventually became hard for the ISP to maintain its equipment and for the users to use the service at a decent proficiency (16 ads to veiw one web page is a bit much).
Ad supported content is a novel idea but i would think it might eventually suffer the same fate.

For any of you who are interested the company I was reffering to (after regoogling) was called Global Freeway.
another ran by the australian bank was FreeOnline.com
there are a few out there that arent ad supported if anyone is interested in Free dial-up
BSD -  The Daemons Are No Longer Just Inside My Head.

Offline DaBees-Knees

• WMW Team
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 11:27:26 pm »
Attitudes may change depending on the quantity and frequency of the adds. The idea may sound appealing at first thought until the money from adds starts rolling in and then greed may take over. Personally, I don't mind the odd add, depending on the type and frequency, but I suspect any ISP running that idea would want to post more adds than I would be prepared to accept.

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
  • Linux:2003 FreeBSD:2004 Debian/BSD developer:2006
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 12:48:33 am »
Exactly. and as demand for the "free" media increases so will that frequency of ads to support them. ad in the greed factor and user complaints and the flowchart of demand and ads will most likely do a double helix with a gradually increasing distant between strands.
(2d version ofc)
BSD -  The Daemons Are No Longer Just Inside My Head.

Offline jeanlery2010

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 04:20:30 am »
Every internet user will actually be happy to have online ads. In fact, the role of internet is to entertain people and yet it makes every British Internet users  happy. Eventually, I also prefer to watch online ads for free but it is actually necessary to pay for the content if you want to.  

Offline ]-[êll.Ôñ.ËÀR'][']-[.

• WMW Volunteer
  • Its hard being me...but i do it just great.
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 07:06:45 am »
Got me confused there jeanlery2010  but i guess it revived a year old post lol

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 11:48:02 pm »
I dont know where your heading with your comments Jeanlery but I dont like ads if I can avoid them and I,m sure many others will say the same if they are honest, however if its a trade off method for those who are interested in consuming copyrighted contents then I suppose it has some merit but I,m not interested in enslaved-artist corporate media offerings so hopefully I,ll never need to watch or hear any.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  British Internet users realize free means ads

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.019 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx