gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 28, 2024, 10:48:48 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  Think Tank  |  New WinMX-like program and protocol?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: New WinMX-like program and protocol?  (Read 3443 times)

Offline joepie91

• Forum Member
New WinMX-like program and protocol?
« on: April 11, 2009, 11:47:32 am »
Due to the limitations that WinMX currently has (maximum number of shared files, maximum file size, etc etc), I am working on a new protocol and program that is heavily based on WinMX (but without the encryption tables that WinMX uses). I was thinking of an agreement to keep the RIAA , MPAA, Brein, BAF, and similar groups out of the network, and I came up with this one. What do you think, will it be enough to keep them out, or are there still loopholes?
Code: newbielink:javascript:void(0); [nonactive]
In the following document, "site" refers to the official NodeForce web site, "program" refers to the NodeForce software (and any deriving software), "creator" refers to <name stripped>, and "protocol" refers to NFPP, the NodeForce Proprietary Protocol, and the peer caches used for it.

By entering the site, using the program, or using our proprietary protocol, you agree to the following statements:
* You will not inform anyone about this site, program, or protocol without letting them read and agree to this statement first.
* You will not send unsolicited advertisements through any communication method on the protocol.
* You will not offer files with a filename that does not reflect the actual content of the file in an appropriate way. Whether a filename is appropriate will be decided by the creator.
* You will not take any action (this includes, but is not limited to legal action and personal communication) on any file shared or message sent by any user of the network.
* You agree that the creator has no control over the files shared on the protocol, has no obligation to prevent any file to be shared on the protocol, and can take legal action if any protocol activity breaks this agreement.

If you do not agree to this document, you will automatically, and without any further communication, lose any rights to use the site, program, or protocol, and any use of the site, program, or protocol can and will result in legal actions.

If you inform anyone in any way about this site, program, or protocol, you have to let them read and agree to this agreement. If you do not, you are using our systems without permission, and can therefore be prosecuted for making use of someone else's property without permission. If you do not agree to this agreement, you are not allowed to use our site, program, or protocol in any way.
I will write the program and protocol on personal title, and even though the agreement says the protocol is proprietory, information on how to use it will be given out, and it will be possible to make your own applications using it, as long as they use the same agreement. The only reason I'm calling it proprietory is to keep control over it, so I can tell the RIAA what they can and cannot do with the protocol. This agreement *should* help to make it impossible for them to flood the network with fake files, or prosecute anyone using the network.

What do you think of this and will it work?

EDIT: NodeForce is a working title.
EDIT2: Over time, WPNP should be integrated as well, as far as this agreement is able to cover it. Does anyone have some decent documentation on the WPNP? I can't seem to find any on Google.

Offline tower

• Forum Member
Re: New WinMX-like program and protocol?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 01:54:29 pm »
There is no doubt that the core code of WinMX is sadly out of date and that connection issues especially with Windows newer operating systems such as Vista ultimate are now a problem.   The script you publish sure does cover all the things that good file share people agree on, but writing the core code is the hard part.   As soon as I load the current software my TCP and UDP ports are closed.   Only way I can get it to work is to keep changing port numbers after I load and then re load WinMX.   It is not a router problem or OS problem so could be my ISP.   I connect just fine as a secondary user but go through hell trying to be a primary.

I am now reduced to sharing on Limewire as the effort required each session to get WinMX to run as a primary is just not worth it.   My username on WinMX is Rigmar Radio and thousands of people have downloaded files from me over the years but my vists on WinMX really now depend on a core software re write, so good luck with this one.   Are you going to use a bit torrent style client to force downloaders not to be total leechs and share as they download, as I am seeing a lot of very selfish people downloading from me who have no intention of ever allowing any uploads from them on WinMX?
Kind regards,   Tom.

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
  • Linux:2003 FreeBSD:2004 Debian/BSD developer:2006
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 04:42:03 pm »
Very rarely do these groups care what agreement you post on your website. These arent exactly law abiding people let alone agreement people.

@Tower from our previous conversations i still dont see where you think vista ultimate causes anymore problems then any other vista.
(wich is none when you set it up)
In the mean time you could go secondary.
As for progression in trouble-shooting your issue,
I have to wonder if AVG isnt doing what you tell it to.
Try closing it temporarily.
(check the process list in task manager to make sure its closed)
You wouldnt be the first person to have this issue.
Another thought that comes to mind is that you said you use peerguardian with the blocklist from our site loaded in it, If is loading other lists as well they may have added the caches to it.

But this thread shall not be hijacked please keep your issue to the thread you posted it in. (not being rude tower just saving the admins from jumping on us)
BSD -  The Daemons Are No Longer Just Inside My Head.

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 05:53:27 pm »
Er cheers Bacon  :lol:

Joepie91:
I am a trifle concerned about anyone wanting to create a newer protocol when its clear they are not sure of the scope or manner of the existing one but lets move on...

There are a few places to gather information on winmx and its protocol and we do have the majority of its functions and features already woked out for any coders interested in going forward with a project, now to the history lesson, and no yawning you young uns..lol

WinMX is a two tiered network and uses an extended protocol based on the napster/openap architechture with a supernode backbone to handle query indexing and chat channel listings as well as node exchanging, there are 4 protocols in all in use and the primary (supernode) ones are not open to the public but only a few trusted coders, there are some basic tutorials on how the network is built up in the public sections of this site and more detailed information in the non public sections that I may allow you access to if you can show you are genuine in your aim.

I have all the time in the world to help answer any queries or questions you may have.. however if your aim is to build a non compatible network then I cannot offer my services, I note this has been addressed by you in your post and so for the time being I,m happy to get you started on research that will help you, please feel free to send me messages on this site via the PM system for information you require or help in any aspect of developement.

One important point however I seemed to have rushed past is what language do you code in, answering this will also help me target the best help to you.

Offline Ben

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 10:25:53 pm »
Due to the limitations that WinMX currently has (maximum number of shared files, maximum file size, etc etc),

I think you may be confused about the "limitations" that WinMX actually has and why they are there.

There actually is not a limit to how many files you can share, you are probably thinking of the limit of files that browse's show. The limit on the number of files shown on browses is so that a lot of bandwidth is not wasted on trying to show you every file that that specific user is actually sharing. And it chooses randomly which of the files it does send so if that user was sharing 10000 files, and they were on primary, you would get a different 5000 each time.  All of their files that are shared show up in search results so that puts that "limitation" to rest.

About the file size, the limit is 2GB and this is because of the amount of bytes it uses for file size. It currently uses 4 which is known as a DWORD which has a maximum numeric value of 2,147,483,647 which is exactly 2GB.  If it were to change to the next step up (most likely 8 bytes), the maximum value would be 9,223,372,036,854,775,807 which is 8 Exabytes (Over 8 Billion gigabytes) which clearly is not a feasable filesize because we do not have hard drives that are even 1 petabyte yet...

As to a new P2P network I hope you understand the responsibilities you will take on, and by that I mean if any files that users put on the network are copyrighted and they break the copyright, the music industries will come after YOU, and you will be put in jail.  Just think about that before you start on a project of this magnitude.

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 12:48:52 am »
The other reason for the 2gb limit was to ensure compatibility was still there for win98 users, this may seem redundant today but when mx was most popular win98 was still very much in use.

Excellent information Ben.

Offline ñòóKýçrÕôK

• my name is nooks, and I approve this message
  • MX Hosts
  • Dream BIG, Live BIGGER!!
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 10:19:46 pm »
Another responce to the responcibilities to a p2p network. I have known almost every person who has tried to take responcibility for the winmx community since its creator gave it up. I was not fortunate to know him but at this point I think that when he was ordered to take it down or face a legal action he most likely felt relief as it gave him an excuse to remove a tremendous burdon from his own shoulders. KM, Sabre, Vladd, Quicks n Me_Here, and now Mr. n Mrs. T and others who help carry the burdon. I think there are a couple other groups also now but I don't know them (that I know of). These people have sacrificed everything they have, are, and get exta to do everything they can to keep ths network going for this community. I have seen the result of the emotional and physical strain of trying to please everyone you could without showing favoritism only to have others who wouldn't dare try it themselves to come out openly and complain that every one of them are doing it wrong or have done something wrong. They have been the victims of ours n hours of helping users only to have some of them turn around in 5 minutes just to mess it all right back up. It's not enough just to make a program as we all saw with winmx's creator. You have to be willing to carry the load after. I guess my point in a nutshell is "If you want to wear the (big boy) pants you had better have a big enough waiste to hold them up and keep a tight enough belt around for when things get tough.".
When you wake up each morning always try to remember tomorrow is never your option, it's God's. Love like you want to. Live like you aren't afraid. And ALWAYS try to remember that even if it seems personal it's never as important as something you may have forgotten to do today.

WinMXWorld.com Help_AE182F4EBABE - For WinMX help or help on other pc related matters.
WinMXWorld.com Cafe_AE182F4ECAFE - For great chat.

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 10:37:38 am »
So very true. very nicely covers the strain many prob don't even know about.
The Solution to 99% of winmx problems

nap.winmxgroup.net        -ONLINE again YAY!!!!!! :D

Praise's daily at the church of "Kopimi"

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  Think Tank  |  New WinMX-like program and protocol?

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.021 seconds with 21 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx