gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76784 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 September 01, 2024, 03:05:26 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX Connection Issues  |  Router drops WinMX - Help Please!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Router drops WinMX - Help Please!  (Read 2233 times)

Offline Gavin1394

• Forum Member
Router drops WinMX - Help Please!
« on: March 30, 2009, 12:13:30 am »
Hi,
 I need some advice please.  I have downloaded and  installed WinMx with Community Patch several times - each time having to uninstall it.  I have a D-Link DI-604 router into which I configure the ports: TCP 6699 & 6257 UDP.  I have Windows XP Home.  I just purchased this computer brand new.  I had WinMXw/patch on my previous pc and everything worked fine.  So here's my problem.  The first time I open WinMX after installing it and configuring the modem, it boots up fine in a primary connection. However when I set the settings the first time -i do a search and get results.  Then all of a sudden I lose connection and can't restore it.  I ALSO loose my comcast cable internet connection as well.  I have to wind up rebooting the modem and router to regain internet and if I try WinMX again- I can't connect.  Anybody have this problem and/or a solution. I really like WinMX and want it back. Help and Thanks, in advance.

Gavin

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
  • Linux:2003 FreeBSD:2004 Debian/BSD developer:2006
Re: Router drops WinMX - Help Please!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 12:36:34 am »
Comcast is bad to block ports. try changing the ports in your router and winmx to something higher. a simple way is to add a 4 infront of everything. 4665 46257 ect ect.
Also have you set up a static ip? if not everytime your router issues a new lease the port settings in your router will become useless.
BSD -  The Daemons Are No Longer Just Inside My Head.

Offline Gavin1394

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 04:52:51 am »
Hi,
Thanks for the reply.  I was told by comcast that I had to set a dynamic IP ??? you said a Static IP??? could you please explain further

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 05:48:52 pm »
A dynamic IP changes every time you restart your computer.
(The IP from your router not your isp)
When you forward ports they are opened to one IP.
(for the explanation we will assume you forwarded ports to 192.168.2.3)
On a Dynamic IP, You forward your ports to 192.168.2.3
When you restart your pc the DHCP Lease(amount of time an IP is reserved)
hasn't run out so the router then tells your pc that it is 192.168.2.4
The problem with that is that the routers ports are still only open to 192.168.2.3 so by setting up a static ip you only have to configure ports once.
If you continue to consult comcast about this matter and they offer you a static-IP at additional cost it is not the same thing and you should gracefully decline.

A guide to setting up static ip has already been written and published on this site here:http://winmxworld.com/tutorials/static_ip.html

After that there are guides to forwarding ports for winmx by router here:
http://www.portforward.com/english/applications/port_forwarding/WinMX/WinMXindex.htm

If you still cannot connect you may have a Firewall installed or the one built into windows turned on.
An explanation of them can also be found on this site with explanations of how to configure a few of them here:
http://www.portforward.com/english/applications/port_forwarding/WinMX/WinMXindex.htm

If you need further assistance feel free to post a reply,
or alternately you can seek live help on winmx in this room:
WinMxWorld.Com Help_AE182F4EBABE

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 09:04:31 am »
I have taken the liberty of modifying your post above this one to enable the web links to work properly Bacon, you must leave a space before the address or it will not be detected as a link.

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 12:28:38 pm »
Thanx i wouldnt have noticed/Known

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX Connection Issues  |  Router drops WinMX - Help Please!

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.008 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx