gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 29, 2024, 02:06:13 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Microsoft Ends “Mainstream” XP Support
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Microsoft Ends “Mainstream” XP Support  (Read 708 times)

Offline DaBees-Knees

• WMW Team
Microsoft Ends “Mainstream” XP Support
« on: April 14, 2009, 05:28:38 pm »
http://www.zeropaid.com/news/85973/microsoft-ends-mainstream-xp-support/

Much to many PC users sadness, Microsoft has announced it has ended “mainstream support” for Windows XP, meaning that there will be no more free per-incident support. Win XP, first released in October of 2001, now enters the “extended support” lifecycle stage. The total Microsoft lifecycle support cycle lasts 15 years, with mainstream support, extended support and custom support each lasting five years apiece. XP users will still be able to get security patches automatically through Windows Update. In addition, it doesn’t cost to call Microsoft if you have a problem installing Windows XP. However, calling Microsoft about other support incidents will cost the user money. The news is sure to rattle some, especially IT professionals of whom 97% said in a recent poll that their companies or organizations are still running XP. Surely much to Microsoft’s chagrin, 83% of them also said they’d skip Vista and wait for a stable Windows 7 to be released.

From the survey:

The vast majority of participants (84%) do not plan to upgrade to Windows 7 in the next year. The most likely path for participants to adopt Windows 7 will be to go directly to this new release and skip Windows Vista. Those few participants who will be upgrading to Windows 7 in the coming year say that avoiding Vista is their primary motivation for the upgrade. Most (67%) state concerns about Windows 7 with 88% of those worried about software compatibility. Economic factors are contributing to the delay in Windows 7 adoption for almost half of all participants. Participants are generally more concerned about upgrading to Windows 7 than staying with the increasingly out-of-date Windows XP.

I made the jump to Windows 7 a few months ago and have been happily surprised. It’s way better than Vista, though I do admit missing the control, navigation, and simplicity of XP. Either way, today marks the beginning of a slow death for XP.

Time marches on. Let's hope Windows 7 serves us as well as XP has.  :cry:

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
Re: Microsoft Ends “Mainstream” XP Support
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 07:29:51 pm »
2ks end of mainstream ended along time ago... and ppl still use it....

and if windows 7 cant be installed on exsisting hardware (due to graphical or other bloat -- typical of microsoft) then windows XP will be around for a -very- long time...

and who knows... maybe linux desktop distros will fill the gap before win7 gets a decent foothold....

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
  • Linux:2003 FreeBSD:2004 Debian/BSD developer:2006
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 09:33:09 pm »
I wouldnt place money either way on the general population. Microsoft has started selling xp keys again for "downgrades" but as people realize that when they buy 4 gigs and stick 32 bit xp on it they arent getting to use what they paid for, maybe they will give 7 a chance.
BSD -  The Daemons Are No Longer Just Inside My Head.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 12:17:39 am »
and 7 will eat all 4 gigs and want more and they'll be up WTF creek again....

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
  • Linux:2003 FreeBSD:2004 Debian/BSD developer:2006
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 01:18:20 am »
o.O? it only ate less then vista when i tried it.  A mere 620mb.
BSD -  The Daemons Are No Longer Just Inside My Head.

Offline Cobra

• Forum Member
  • I'm not me.
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 10:55:07 pm »
I have never used their support. Ever. So this will not change anything for me.

Life goes on, but I continue to stand still.
Downloading is an addiction I do not want to give up.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Microsoft Ends “Mainstream” XP Support

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx