gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 19, 2024, 04:28:32 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Other WinMX Help  |  Popular File Extension .vob -> WinMx can't search for: need to upgrade!!!!!!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Popular File Extension .vob -> WinMx can't search for: need to upgrade!!!!!!  (Read 4903 times)

Offline Music Videos

• Forum Member
Hello,
more and more users are sharing DVD quality music videos ripped from DVD's which have no compression at all. ie: Byte for Byte, highest quality you can get, and these files have a .vob extension. So, now more and more users are seeking .vob files, there are less .mpg and .avi files for music videos, making winmx virtually dead for single music videos. The only way to 'find' these files is to browse people's libraries, or to look into music video chat rooms. How hard would it be for WinMx programmers to upgrade the existing program to be capable search for .vob files, just like it can for .mpg, .avi and .asf? This would bring users to the WinMX community in the masses.  :educated:

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
Vob files are normally those ripped from commercialy copyrighted DVD's and thus I dont think its a great idea to ask folks to use that format when the only files likely to be using it are ones that are not owned by the sharer.

However... WinMX will share those files types and in fact any file type, you can add new file types to the types searched for by adding them in the "Library" windows and pressing the "Settings" button.

Most folks in the torrent world use divx encoded AVI file formats as they dont want to make commercial copies of any of the films but simply wish to view them for their own personal usage and thus the quality is acceptable in my view, vob files are rather large and not really what the current winmx architechture was set up to support, compressed files are faster and less likely to be copyright material and thus I feel we shouldnt be encouraging the usage of this format.

I hope this answers all of your questions.

Offline Savage Blades

• Forum Member
    • DJ Hire
To add more, .vob files can be found in searches by simply searching 'Any File/Bitrate' in winmx..
However I don't think vob format should ever be shared on the internet it's a waste of the total internet... plus dvd format uses more than 1 vob to make a single watchable dvd..
So it doesn't make any sense at all to share a dvd in so many pieces...  it does make sense to share that DVD image as an iso though.... and winmx is perfectly able to share this format...
Again, however a standard dvd image exceeds the Max file size as a single file, that can be completed on winmx....
Versions of winmx prior to 3.54 will share and show these files in searches and browses... ( 3.54 will not share them in search or browse.. but will let you see them in search or browse.. shared by older client )
and you will be able to connect to users sharing these files ...
BUT here is the problem once you have completed 2.147.485.016 bytes of the file either uploading or downloading...
winmx will spit the dummy and report an error 
:nono:
So to successfully share and be able to complete files of this type they would need to be limited to 2.147.000.000 bytes in file size..... and split into parts.... easily done with winrar..
and there are users doing this already... the right way... so looking for a dvd.... you would search for the title ' as an archive ' in winmx search...
Now I own a 50" Plasma and can say using right drivers, player & settings.... that as an example any EZTV show or 98% of aXXo dvd rips play absolutely faultless..
It really could not look better if I had the full dvd..  So even if it did look marginally better.... I would strongly argue... viewing pleasure is more about the script and content of the film than how many pixels per sq" etc..
The internet is the place to share these compressed files divx xvid etc...   700-800meg Vs 4.3g  per single movie..
If original is so important go hire a copy and then make your own...
But don't share them online... the comparable difference in quality isn't enough to burden the internet with   :o

I have added a registry settings file which sets winrar to limit large archive files to just the right size to enable users to make winmx compatable archives if interested..
also sets winrar to make every archive to 'best compression' by default
if sharing archives online why do it any other way ?
be kind to the total internet load
 :blindfold:
My opinions, are mine !
They may, or may not reflect the views and opinions of other WinMX World Forum members !!
DJ Hire

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
Hmm, excellent little settings reg file for winrar. Thanks for that.
The Solution to 99% of winmx problems

nap.winmxgroup.net        -ONLINE again YAY!!!!!! :D

Praise's daily at the church of "Kopimi"

Offline Music Videos

• Forum Member
Hello,
thank you all for the feed back, but the truth of the matter is that i can confirm, but not in this forum, that there are over 100 thousand .vob music video files being shared in winmx at any one time. Video size ranges from 150-300mb, for a 3-4 minute music video clip. The setting 'any file, any bitrate' DEFINATELY WILL NOT find these .vob files. I challenge anybody to prove without a doubt otherwise. Like i said previously, those who know how,can have their libraries 'show' .vob files, so others in winmx will view through a library browse. I bring this up as another popular p2p program will show .vob files in a video search. The only other solution
to get those concerned about their .vob files not being able to be found in a winmx search, is to change the .vob extension to .mpg with the freeware program 'extension changer'.

Offline Joshua203

• MX Hosts
  • www.DutchaGoGo.com
    • www.DutchaGoGo.com and a few more like WinMX.ComXa.com and WinMX.ExoFire.net
helloo there music, i'm sorry to prove your doubts on finding them in a search wrong, please take a look at the screeny i just  made ;-)

greetings, ...Joshua203
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Edition, CPU Intel64 Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 5 Genuine Intel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz, RAM: 12GB

Offline Joshua203

• MX Hosts
  • www.DutchaGoGo.com
and secondly (after reading your post again), you can rename any file extention ...in example ...i started wrapping single .mp3 tracks one day into .rar ..renaming  them to .rar.mp3 ...making it posssible to unwrap them into separate tracks and keeping the whole cd as playable .mp3

greetz again
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Edition, CPU Intel64 Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 5 Genuine Intel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz, RAM: 12GB

Offline Music Videos

• Forum Member
Hello, thanks for proving me wrong, i just found this out myself. Great work there bro!

Offline Joshua203

• MX Hosts
  • www.DutchaGoGo.com
happy to help out sometimes music ;-) and just forget that free tool   :lol:

seeyah

Offline Joshua203

• MX Hosts
  • www.DutchaGoGo.com
my last post on this ...lol

it is a good idea (of music) though to make winmx search as editable as the library system, i ld love to have that function

Offline Music Videos

• Forum Member
"it is a good idea (of music) though to make winmx search as editable as the library system, i ld love to have that function"

That would be absolutely wonderful!!!!!!!!

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Other WinMX Help  |  Popular File Extension .vob -> WinMx can't search for: need to upgrade!!!!!!

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.022 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx