gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 19, 2024, 07:23:16 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Even when not explicit, ISP data caps still haunt users
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Even when not explicit, ISP data caps still haunt users  (Read 900 times)

Offline DaBees-Knees

• WMW Team
Even when not explicit, ISP data caps still haunt users
« on: April 26, 2009, 08:15:19 am »
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/04/even-when-not-explicit-isp-data-caps-remain.ars

Time Warner Cable's plan to impose tiered data caps on Internet users imploded last week, but that doesn't mean TWC users can download to their heart's content. No, like many other ISPs without explicit data caps, TWC retains an "acceptable use policy" that lets it curtail any "abuse" of its network, as one user found out the hard way. StoptheCap.com has been covering the TWC case in obsessive detail (seriously, we're a little worried), and it yesterday published the story of a TWC user from Austin, Texas who ran afoul of the acceptable use policy. Ryan Howard had his Internet connection cut off by the company with no notification; only after a full day of phone calls and two new cable modems did a service rep suggest he call TWC's "security and abuse center." Turns out, Howard had transferred 44GB of data in a single week, enough to put him in the penalty box. (He apparently violated this clause: "The ISP Service may not be used to engage in any conduct that interferes with Operator's ability to provide service to others, including the use of excessive bandwidth.") He asked about the limit so that he could stay under it in future, but couldn't get an answer. Instead, it was suggested that he use "perhaps half or a quarter as much" data in a week. Assuming that the trigger is somewhere around 40GB/week, that works out to 160GB/month—still a full 90GB under Comcast's 250GB/month cap. And if Howard is really supposed to use only "half or a quarter" of this amount, that means TWC imposes a de facto limit of between 40GB/month to 80GB/month. When services like Netflix require 3GB just to stream one high-def movie to an Xbox 360, it's not hard to see how a household with a few computers, a game console, and (say) an iPhone might hit such caps without doing anything piratical or "abusive." Such practices aren't limited to TWC, of course. While ISPs like Comcast have adopted explicit caps, others like AT&T have not, even though they reserve the right to curtail abuse on the network. Given the importance of an Internet connection for everything from telecommuting to entertainment to phone service to e-mail to keeping up on politics, this is one of those areas where ambiguity should give way to clarity. People simply need to know what's allowed and what's not. ISPs have sometimes tried to solve the problem by calling people first and asking them to rein it in, an approach far preferable to simply shutting off someone's Internet access after they hit some unpublished threshold. This isn't just pro-consumer—it's pro-business, too, unless you're in a business that enjoys lawsuits. Comcast last year paid the state of Florida $150,000 to deal with this exact issue and the ambiguity that surrounded it. Each month, Comcast would contact the top 1,000 users of its 14.4 million user network network, regardless of how much data they had transferred, and warn them that they were violating the acceptable use policy. When users asked what the limit was, they were simply told that they needed to stay out of the top 1,000 user list—something impossible to know. The state attorney general said that "a 'top 1,000' criteria, as previously applied, did not clearly and conspicuously disclose to the consumer the specific amount of bandwidth deemed to be excessive under Comcast's subscriber agreements." In response, Comcast adopted the explicit 250GB/month cap. In any event, whatever the realities of traffic on TWC's data network, the cable company's situation just can't be all that dire. As StoptheCap.com noted today, TWC has just given San Antonio users a free bandwidth upgrade from 10Mbps to 15Mbps—basically begging them to transfer more data in a month.

That last comment makes a valid point.

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
  • Linux:2003 FreeBSD:2004 Debian/BSD developer:2006
Re: Even when not explicit, ISP data caps still haunt users
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 06:32:56 pm »
I noticed the article mentioned AT&T,
I've never heard of them pulling a stunt like this or cutting anyone off.
The only thing remotely close to this that i have seen was when they tried out the "pay your cap" thing in reno where you paid like a dollar a gig for any overages
BSD -  The Daemons Are No Longer Just Inside My Head.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 05:14:16 am »
where competition doesnt exsist stunts will be pulled... but since AT&T basically owns the backbone (in the US at least) they dont have much to 'worry' about....

Offline Daniel

• Forum Member
  • chiot mignon
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 05:48:20 pm »
Why can't Internet be like the rest of the utilities? (natural gas, electric, and water).

There are no overages if I use a lot of any of them, I believe they are regulated by the government so they'll always be low cost, and there's a law that stops rivals, which makes sense since having multiple sewer systems or etc would be weird and cause problems. One set of fast fiber optic wires makes sense to me, instead of different ones for every company.
- Have a nice explosive day.

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
  • Linux:2003 FreeBSD:2004 Debian/BSD developer:2006
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 07:31:49 pm »
There are no overages if I use a lot of any of them, I believe they are regulated by the government so they'll always be low cost, and there's a law that stops rivals, which makes sense since having multiple sewer systems or etc would be weird and cause problems. One set of fast fiber optic wires makes sense to me, instead of different ones for every company.

We have set alotments per month here. its almost like rollover on a cellphone if we dont use it we can use it later but if we go over that amount we get charged out the ass.

Lack of competition can be bad, especially in small towns.
back in 76 the city my grandparents live in made a deal to allow only one company to provide cable (satellite ofc was an alternative in later years). Now their system is old, the contract is still in place and they charge twice what satellite does. Charter com ran fiberoptic down the highway connecting the cities on both sides of us together and to a large hub some 30 miles away. we cant latch on to it, and charter wont buy out the cities contracts because by the time they upgrade the cable in the city it will have cost them more then they can make from customers in the next 10 years :S
BSD -  The Daemons Are No Longer Just Inside My Head.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Even when not explicit, ISP data caps still haunt users

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx