gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 19, 2024, 11:47:53 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  File sharers Big Music’s best customers
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: File sharers Big Music’s best customers  (Read 790 times)

Offline DaBees-Knees

• WMW Team
File sharers Big Music’s best customers
« on: April 21, 2009, 09:34:15 pm »
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/apr/21/study-finds-pirates-buy-more-music

According to a new study, far from being the death of the corporate music industry, file sharing may be helping to keep it on life support. A new report says people who, “download music illegally are also 10 times more likely to pay for songs than those who don’t,” says The Guardian. This is only news to the mainstream media. And ironically, it comes from the BI Norwegian School of Management with Norway as the latest country to announced it’s become a corporate copyright cop funded by local taxpayers. “Everybody knows that music sales have continued to fall in recent years, and that filesharing is usually blamed,” says the story.

Absolutely correct.

The music loving public has become sick and tired of reading about people being sued by Vivendi Universal, EMI, Warner Music and Sony Music for doing what comes naturally, and their disgust shows up in the form of ongoing international boycotts. “The Norwegian study looked at almost 2,000 online music users, all over the age of 15,” says the story. “Researchers found that those who downloaded ‘free’ music – whether from lawful or seedy sources – were also 10 times more likely to pay for music. This would make music pirates the industry’s largest audience for digital sales.” And, “the study did not rely on music pirates’ honesty. Researchers asked music buyers to prove that they had proof of purchase.”

I wonder what the cartel make of that?  :gum:

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
  • Linux:2003 FreeBSD:2004 Debian/BSD developer:2006
Re: File sharers Big Music’s best customers
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 10:01:54 pm »
Isnt this also mentioned in like..... 6 other stories you've posted?
Like the one about sales collapsing after napster was closed?
It's just one more study to prove the same fact, Just like theres multiple studies that show those cheap toilet freshners can cause cancer... only california acknowledges the possibility.
In any cartels eye its just a useless statistic or a coincidental trend.
As a more logical approach (something walmart did) is a hypothesis that proves the theory such as.... people dont want to hear a preselected sample as there is the risk that the rest of the song sucks.
and more primitive to that, they dont want to waste money on garbage so they would like to sample the media in question.

-edited for lack of closing statement-

But come now. we wouldnt be having this discussion if the cartel understood logic.
BSD -  The Daemons Are No Longer Just Inside My Head.

Offline Cobra

• Forum Member
  • I'm not me.
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 10:03:27 pm »
Quote from: DaBees-Knees
I wonder what the cartel make of that?  :gum:
The report will get "lost" and be forgotten about without comment.

"Report? What report?"

Although I can see from a root standpoint why the RIAA would believe that file sharing is the cause of loss of sales, why is it so hard to believe that maybe... just maybe... not as many people in this generation are as interested in purchasing music as was the case in the past, probably because there are other things that they spend their money on instead like video games.
Downloading is an addiction I do not want to give up.

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
  • Linux:2003 FreeBSD:2004 Debian/BSD developer:2006
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 10:04:40 pm »
probably because there are other things that they spend their money on instead like video games.
Or the over priced net being used to download the content... or even essential things such as gasoline and food....
BSD -  The Daemons Are No Longer Just Inside My Head.

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 10:20:01 pm »
This study mirrors previous studies exactly and yet the copyright extremist music industry still don't have a clue, whats new eh folks .

I hope folks are sharing their own content and boycotting these extortionist industries that base their business models on suing the poor and those who are otherwise unable to defend themselves.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  File sharers Big Music’s best customers

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.019 seconds with 21 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx