gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 28, 2024, 01:38:37 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  Up & Down Connections Stopped.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Up & Down Connections Stopped.  (Read 2506 times)

Offline StephenRH

• Forum Member
Up & Down Connections Stopped.
« on: May 05, 2009, 05:42:30 pm »
A few weeks ago, all download and upload connections stopped being made.  Other than that, all is fine: the search function, matches of requests, I get into queues and work down to 1 then lose it, people queue for my shared files but can never be connected.

My new computer's OS is Vista 64, but all did work well for a couple of months then stopped.  I am not very computer literate but would appreciate any help or insight.

thanks,
stephen

Offline ']['affy

• Forum Member
Re: Up & Down Connections Stopped.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 08:13:52 pm »

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
  • Linux:2003 FreeBSD:2004 Debian/BSD developer:2006
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 08:32:17 pm »
The Simpler way to do what taffy posted is this:
https://forum.winmxworld.com/index.php?topic=7869.0.html

But since it worked before im going to guess thats not the issue and move to your network set up.
Have you installed a wireless system or router?
BSD -  The Daemons Are No Longer Just Inside My Head.

Offline StephenRH

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 09:47:15 pm »
That was installed when the new computer arrived and still works fully.  All other sources such as torrents work just fine as well as music from the Undernet.  By the way, I use Rogers cable.

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 11:12:59 pm »
Are you on primary/secondary?
Have you installed a new firewall or AV application?

Offline StephenRH

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 09:59:11 pm »
There was no firewall change (could turning it off or adjusting it correct the situation?)  and no new AV application installed.   I have always used a secondary connection.  I tried a primary connection and the search function did not work on it but still does work on a secondary.

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 11:59:33 pm »
Thats because you have to open Ports to use Primary.
This means we have to set up a static Ip
A Guide to do that is here:

and then we have to configure your firewall. your router and if your modem has a NAT built in we have to configure it as well.

For now set up static ip and then post back with the model numbers of your modem and router.

OR you can navigate to your winmx folder open the oledlg.ini in a text editor and change /enableupnp 0 to /enableupnp 1
click save and close the program.
Then you need to restart your winmx.

Offline wonderer

• MX Hosts
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 03:31:46 am »
It seems to be necessary to point at the feature most new modem/router combination have to reserve an IP in the dhcp-pool for a specific PC. Its based on the mac of the networkcard in that PC. For routers with that feature there is no need to configure a fixed IP on the PC, just leave it setup as dhcp client.
Most router will have a checkbox in the portforwarding screen to "always assign this ip" to the same PC which will be recognized by the computersname.

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 03:33:31 am »
most residential routers still require the ip to be set up. DHCP can be left enabled while static is used.
If you wish to guide the user though assigning the MAC with their router your more then wlecome to.

Offline StephenRH

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 01:58:12 pm »
Your interest and effort are appreciated, but I was hoping for a minor adjustment that would return the system to what it was before it simply stopped working.  The above suggestions require much more knowledge that I want to have, so I'll give up WinMX for the time being.  By the way, I tried installing it in my ThinkPad to see if it worked there and it wouldn't even connect to the WinMX server during the setup.  My standby dialup connection still works perfectly on an old machine. Thanks again,

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 04:11:52 pm »
there is nothing wrong with using secondary connections.
and there are tools for setting all this up provided here https://forum.winmxworld.com/index.php?topic=8110.msg48764#new

Offline wonderer

• MX Hosts
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 05:21:56 pm »
... If you wish to guide the user though assigning the MAC with their router your more then wlecome to.

There is no need to, the routers do not even mention the mac-addresses, you will be presented with the pc name as given in systemproperties, computername.

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 12:03:06 am »
I think there is a lesson here is of being patient and not bombarding new folks with "technobabble", I understand both Forester and Wonderer are great helpers but in this case neither has succedded in delivering a solution or path of simple instructions for this user  :no:

I didnt see any need for mentioning the users mac address or anything needing to be done in an advanced way in his router Forester, its more likley his local IP changed and this is perhaps the simple-style fix Stephen was looking for maybe ?

Can I suggest in future we slow down a gear and target our efforts to the talents of the poster, as to reel off advanced concepts may make you look great to some folks but to new folks who are often visiting here for the first time such "technical bombardedment" only drives them away and possibly forever.

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 12:36:55 am »
its more likley his local IP changed and this is perhaps the simple-style fix Stephen was looking for maybe ?
Setting up static ip is the only way around this that i know of.
If theres an alternative way im more then glad to listen.

I have always used a secondary connection.  I tried a primary connection and the search function did not work on it but still does work on a secondary.
And this would be ports wich means configuring the router since i ruled out A/V and firewall, correct?

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2009, 02:06:42 am »
This tool sets up a static IP with minimal strain.

http://www.pcwintech.com/node/30

In the case of a small home network with more than one machine connected to the NET its often the case that machines will grab the first available IP number not the same one all the time and this can mean your port forwarding goes to heck Stephen, using the tool above or manually making the changes on each machine to force/assign a fixed IP will stop the problem occuring again, I,m hoping thats all its is .

Offline wonderer

• MX Hosts
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2009, 02:57:08 am »
Just a hint on setting up a fixed IP on your pc, don't use the first 10 or so IP numbers in the DHCP pool. The reason for this is if you would assign the first IP from the pool and another pc with no fixed IP enters the network first, the pc with the fixed IP will find it's IP taken and not available.

Offline ñòóKýçrÕôK

• my name is nooks, and I approve this message
  • MX Hosts
  • Dream BIG, Live BIGGER!!
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2009, 09:06:05 pm »
Ok it seems to me that as it worked before and now doesn't that here recently the issue with this has been Windows Firewall in more cases than anything else. Stephen if I'm wrong you may say so later but if you will enable windows firewall if it isn't already, delete winmx.exe from windows firewall with winmx closed, then start winmx and reallow it through windows firewall. Then you can turn it off again if you want. Post back and let me know how it goes. Sometimes windows updates can cause issues with windows firewall and certain programs.
When you wake up each morning always try to remember tomorrow is never your option, it's God's. Love like you want to. Live like you aren't afraid. And ALWAYS try to remember that even if it seems personal it's never as important as something you may have forgotten to do today.

WinMXWorld.com Help_AE182F4EBABE - For WinMX help or help on other pc related matters.
WinMXWorld.com Cafe_AE182F4ECAFE - For great chat.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  Up & Down Connections Stopped.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.021 seconds with 24 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx