gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76775 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever May 07, 2024, 08:59:03 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  I wanna be a primary but I need help
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: I wanna be a primary but I need help  (Read 2984 times)

Offline tig

• Forum Member
  • WinMXWorld.com Help_AE182F4EBABE
I wanna be a primary but I need help
« on: October 31, 2005, 09:19:27 pm »
Hi people, great site.
I want to be a primary, its time I helped out the winmx community.
I can't seach or get any chatrooms.
I have upgraded my DSL connection for it.
I have mapped the ports through the router and on a secondary connection with the TCP and UDP ports specified, everything works propery.
When I use a primary connection, I have secondaries connected to me, but I canot find any sources for my downloads nor can I find any chatrooms.
I have downloaded sherwood for use when I am a primary.
What can I try?
Also 1 question, the allocated bandwidth setting for primary connection, is that in kilobits or kilobytes?
I hope someone can help, I really want to be a primary.
People become really quite remarkable when they start thinking that they can do things. When they believe in themselves they have the first secret of success. BY Norman Vincent Peale

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 11:49:24 pm »
Well if your getting secondaries you should be able to find chatrooms also.. I am a bit perplexed on that one.

I would like to know what version of WinMX your running.
Also what operating system do you have?

The KB stands for Kilobyes in this paticular instance.

Waiting to hear from ya..

KM

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2005, 12:13:03 am »
it sounds like a UDP issue to me, is the inbound UDP set up correctly? on primary channel listings and search results etc are done by UDP so if you havent forwarded/allowed the UDP port in the same way you did the TCP one (but selecting "UDP" instead of "TCP" for the type...) then that would cause those symptoms

although i have to say i've not heard too many reports of people setting up TCP but not setting up UDP properly, they are nearly always the other way around for some strange reason (it is strange, because normally firewalls and routers make it easier to do TCP than UDP... lol)

Offline tig

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2005, 12:49:39 pm »
that was the trick, I had the udp port set as a tcp in the router.
now zonealarm is being a pain, but I think if I cant get that working that I will upgrade to sygate anyways.
Thanks heaps for the help with this problem and thanks heaps for helping get the winmx community back.
People become really quite remarkable when they start thinking that they can do things. When they believe in themselves they have the first secret of success. BY Norman Vincent Peale

Offline tig

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2005, 10:43:18 am »
well I'm all up and going with sherwood running great. I need more upload bandwitdth now, lol, the searches are chewing it all up.
just about to instal sygate.
Hey i'm getting about 10 secondaries, is that about right?

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2005, 04:28:18 pm »
Glad to hear all is well, good luck getting more bandwidth.. lol

The amount of secondaries and primaries you have is directly related to the Allocated Bandwidth setting under the WinMX Peer Network settings.  If youre struggling with the speeds now allocating more to the network is not a great Idea.

I usually tell folks on a normal primary connection to set this at 9 out and 13.5 In.  That is avg. of 9 secondaries and 13 primaries that you will be connected to.  This is a good balance between resources you need for your machine and resources the network needs for maintaining it.

Offline tig

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2005, 03:48:18 am »
yeah I had that setting, but I took it down a notch. Once I install my new modem I think I'm supposed to 1000kB upstream, but I'm not too sure. I think im limited by my modem at the moment to 256.
anyways, sounds like my secondary numbers are about right.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  I wanna be a primary but I need help

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.018 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx