gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76775 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 26, 2024, 10:27:45 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Blocking the information highway
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Blocking the information highway  (Read 761 times)

Offline DaBees-Knees

• WMW Team
Blocking the information highway
« on: May 18, 2009, 02:24:59 pm »
http://www.p2pnet.net/story/21830

P2P doesn’t mean peer-to-peer, a network, or part of one, with users as client and server.

Nor is it a group of people of the same age, status, ability, etc.

It means People talking to anyone anywhere about anything People.

Online.

p2pnet ran an item on the decisions by 107 Tennessee school districts to block access to online information about lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) issues, and which ultimately involved the American Civil Liberties Union.

The most recent apppeared yesterday when we repeated a Reader’s Write from the developer of a filtering product who wrote »»»

Having an intimate knowledge of the Internet, I recognize that there is exponentially more harmful content than educationally beneficial content available on the Internet.

I now realize that trying to block out the harmful content while still allowing access to the beneficial content is a completely foolhardy goal that simply cannot be accomplished. A considerably more realizable goal would be to identify quality, relevant educational material available on the Internet and provide access to that using a white-list at the exclusion of everything else.

This is exactly the approach schools take when choosing textbooks and I believe the same approach would work well with the Internet.

I should point out that this is the polar opposite of the message I was preaching several years ago, but having spent 11 years playing Don Quixote, I have finally come to this new conclusion.

I know a lot of people would be outraged at my opinion, but I have seen more than anyone’s fair share of the garbage available on the Internet. By virtue of being a developer of an Internet filtering product, I have acquired an intimate knowledge of things I wish I had never seen or heard of.

I thought by developing a filtering product I would somehow be protecting others from this stuff, but after 11 years of watching how the peddlers of the filth sneak and weasel their way past the filters, I now realize I have spent countless thousands of hours trying to stop a giant snowball from rolling down a very steep hill.

I am not suggesting that the material referenced in the ACLU letter should or should not be allowed, I am simply saying the schools shouldn’t be obligated to provide access to anything not specifically related to the education they should be providing our children.

Said Jack from Nashville, “I think Tennessee should do whats right for Tennessee. We are different here. We are not, the Village, San Francisco, or West Hollywood. We are church going, small town people. Don’t force your values on us, and we will return the favor.”

Frequent poster Jakykong doubted everyone from Tennessee shared that view, saying »»»

America was founded on freedom of speech and freedom of religion (above all else). Nothing here has said that these ideas must be taught in the classroom. Nothing is preventing you from teaching your children the way you think they should be taught. But blocking the information at all borders very closely on the sort of mind control used in 1984 — namely, by preventing the spread of any useful information at all, people became unable to question the present situation.

The argument that making schools keep this information available to those who request it somehow pushes our morals or values into your local culture is invalid. Knowing about other viewpoints, lifestyles, religions, or anything else does not imply that you will adopt that lifestyle, religion, or what have you. It merely means you know about it. Neither I, nor anybody else, is pushing the schools to teach children morals or values. That’s the job of the parents. I, for one, am not even suggesting that the schools should have to teach about gays. I, as with this letter, am only demanding that access to this information not be blocked.

The attitude you just expressed is unfortunately illconceived. It’s been known to ostracize people for being different. It’s been known to keep new information suppressed for decades or centuries. It’s the source of much religious bigotry today. If you believe the information your child learns at school to be faulty, perhaps you should get involved and teach your children what you believe to be true. But blocking information of any sort, because you believe knowing it is dangerous, is unacceptable. I don’t care whether it’s Tennessee, Botswana, or the North Pole, access to the available information is fundamental. The internet just allows much more to be accessed, that’s all.

A good, real-world example of available information not changing lifestyles are some of the nomadic tribes bordering the Sahara desert, who have television from the cities and access to public libraries and so forth. They still choose to live a nomadic lifestyle, following islam and herding camels. Making information available to them did not change their minds or their lifestyle. Why should Tennessee not be able to do the same?

As for the last rhetorical question, there are basically three reasons why this would be true.

First, the people aren’t happy, and when they learn about better lifestyles, they decide to try to adopt those lifestyles to increase their happiness.
Second, they lack the pride of their native land, or the values of their people. When such a person gets information, they may or may not keep doing what they’re doing.
Third, there is a logical contradiction in what’s going on. When children catch wind of logical errors, they are often much better at spotting them than adults. And they aren’t generally satisfied by “because I told you so”. (Ever seen a kid start asking “Why?” — if the parent says “because I told you so”, it utterly fails to stop the flow of questions).
The solution to the first two is to solve the root problem. Make the people happy, or teach them pride (or give them a reason to have pride, if need be). If you can’t do that, then perhaps it’s time to really think about what you’re doing.

There is no solution to the third. But if you feel that learning new information might make your children not believe you, then I suspect you have worse problems than lesbians.

It seems that self appointed censors are fashionable at the moment, or they would like to be. The only true censor is the individual who chooses how he or she wishes to inform themselves. 

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
Re: Blocking the information highway
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 08:52:49 pm »
By virtue of being a developer of an Internet filtering product, I have acquired an intimate knowledge of things I wish I had never seen or heard of.

must not be a long time internet user... dumbass should have thought of the 'grossout factor' before he tried to dev the app....

....We are church going, small town people. Don’t force your values on us, and we will return the favor.”....

bullshit calls i...  chick tracts, the 700 club, focus on the family? hmmmmmmm..... need i say more?

But if you feel that learning new information might make your children not believe you, then I suspect you have worse problems than lesbians.

thats the person with the right mindset....

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
  • Linux:2003 FreeBSD:2004 Debian/BSD developer:2006
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 09:42:50 pm »
If this shit is put in, my senior year is going to be hard pressed for research.....
BSD -  The Daemons Are No Longer Just Inside My Head.

Offline Cobra

• Forum Member
  • I'm not me.
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 01:17:55 am »
If this shit is put in, my senior year is going to be hard pressed for research.....
Once upon a time there was this thing called a library..... :yes:
Downloading is an addiction I do not want to give up.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 01:30:32 am »
Once upon a time there was this thing called a library.....

....it was taxpayer funded by the citizens of that city.... and had a limited to that cities mindset selection of books or just a very outdated collection of books....

librarys cant 'stock their shelves' fast enough to keep up anymore IMO.... and they are never big enough to hold on to books with older (and sometimes hard to find) information if they do update.... oh... and do you need a copy of that section of information just in case you need to reference it later should the book be checked out by someone else? the xerox machine costs 25cents (or more) a page....

-edit addendum-

oh... and if you dont live in the same city the library is in you have to pay for that card if you want to check out a book.... or be a quick reader with a good memory (or... again... feed the xerox machine)

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
  • Linux:2003 FreeBSD:2004 Debian/BSD developer:2006
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 02:57:49 am »
xerox machine isnt free either. costs more at the library then it does at knkos
and yes there is a library here but its very small and mostly maps tax records and a collection of donated romance novels from the old women of the city
BSD -  The Daemons Are No Longer Just Inside My Head.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Blocking the information highway

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.022 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx