gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76775 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 27, 2024, 03:43:31 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Studios Urge ISP to Admit Piracy, Stop Wasting Court’s Time
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Studios Urge ISP to Admit Piracy, Stop Wasting Court’s Time  (Read 940 times)

Offline p2p rules

• Forum Member
Several studios including Village Roadshow, Universal Pictures, Warner Bros Entertainment, Paramount Pictures, Sony Pictures Entertainment, Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation, Disney Enterprises, Inc. and the Seven Network (Australia’s top free-to-air broadcaster), announced last year that they were to sue Australian ISP iiNet for copyright infringement.

The studios, under the umbrella group AFACT, stated that iiNet “failed to take reasonable steps, including enforcing its own terms and conditions, to prevent known unauthorized use of copies of the companies’ films and TV programs by iiNet’s customers via its network.” AFACT had demanded disconnection for alleged infringers but iiNet refused. According to AFACT, since iiNet knew that its subscribers were infringing copyright, it too was breaching copyright by “authorizing” the infringements. Legal action followed.

Just recently AFACT was forced to drop some of the charges against iiNet, withdrawing the claim that the ISP was the primary copyright infringer and directly responsible when it refused to disconnect alleged pirates within its subscriber base. The allegation, know as “conversion”, is that iiNet interfered with the studio’s “right of possession”, a breach of their rights.

AFACT tried to convince Federal Court Judge Justice Dennis Cowdroy that iiNet was guilty of “conversion” but he disagreed, kicked out the claim and ordered the studios to pay iiNet’s costs for that element.

The remaining claim against iiNet is that the ISP is liable for the copyright infringing actions of its subscribers, something it denies. However, AFACT are increasing the pressure on iiNet to again admit that its customers are pirates, something it tried to do earlier. They say that since they have lots of evidence that iiNet’s subscribers are pirates, iiNet should just admit it and stop wasting the court’s time.

“AFACT has presented evidence of tens of thousands of instances of copyright infringement by iiNet’s users,” said a spokesperson for the anti-piracy group. He claimed that iiNet had already accepted the validity of that evidence adding, “To make those acknowledgements and not accept that those customers are engaged in copyright infringement is simply a tactic by iiNet designed to delay and frustrate the running of the case.”

iiNet chief Michael Malone disagreed, saying that it’s not up to iiNet to admit anything, it’s up to AFACT and the studios to bring the evidence. “If they come and say that a person is committing piracy, it’s their obligation to prove that,” he said.

The case is due to return to court 9th June 2009.
Source: TorrentFreak

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
  • Linux:2003 FreeBSD:2004 Debian/BSD developer:2006
Re: Studios Urge ISP to Admit Piracy, Stop Wasting Court’s Time
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 09:45:23 pm »
Better the companies then the people. but if any of these win then i would expect to see the internet disappear. The age of dial up VPNs may come back as a black network in 12 to 20 years.
BSD -  The Daemons Are No Longer Just Inside My Head.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 09:58:03 pm »
The age of dial up VPNs may come back as a black network in 12 to 20 years.

http://www.usbbs.org  ...dialins never really went away...

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 10:21:23 pm »
interesting, and primitive. but about what i would expect minus the requirements of sysops
maybe something like fidonet

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 11:48:57 pm »
Its nice to see that the movie studios make a big song and dance about an ISP following the letter of the law and then u-turn when its seen their drama-ridden claims are full of lies and innuendo.
Personally I think folks should purchase a single item from these folks if there business plan is one that seeks to undermine folks right to privacy on the internet, what they really fear however is that you dont need their "content" (aka over-hyped expensive chunks of plastic) and they are just trying to shut down any way for ordinary folks to release their own material, lets keep making free content and watch their empire of greed topple.

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 03:12:01 am »
Personally i think movies should be funded by box offiice revenue. like if hunt for gollum was shown in theateres and out for free download use the revenue for a new movie or a sequal.
but that sets us back up into no one person can control the money so they make a coorporation and it all goes down the hole again. or if the government managed it then they would control our content and we all know some of the best horror movies would never pass our governments standards.

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 09:26:31 am »
Money "only goes down the hole" when dodgy accountants get to work, most folks I know are not so rich they can hire an accountant let alone be able to play games with their tax liability by using offshore shell companies as the movie studios often do.

Regardless, my focus is firmly on ensuring folks make effors to create rather than consume content as otherwise we will doubtless become "hollywood leeches" and suffer from the dumbing down disease "brain rot"  :lol:

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 08:49:50 pm »
Hollywoods twisted picture inc draws a line somewhere... im not sure where but anywho theyre brains are far past rotten and theyre more creative IMO then pixar or who ever.
Until i watched Wall-E i didnt know you could have a movie with only 4 words...
Oops i cant even say them cause that would mean i posted a dialogue of the movie and infringed the copyright xD

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Studios Urge ISP to Admit Piracy, Stop Wasting Court’s Time

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.02 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx