gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 28, 2024, 03:29:25 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Music from apple a "shocking" experience
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Music from apple a "shocking" experience  (Read 536 times)

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
  • Linux:2003 FreeBSD:2004 Debian/BSD developer:2006
Music from apple a "shocking" experience
« on: May 20, 2009, 03:06:00 am »
source: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10245065-37.html?tag=newsEditorsPicksArea.0
iPhone and iPod users may experience a "small and quick" shock via their earbuds due to a buildup of static electricity, Apple warned Monday.
People listening to one of the devices in extremely dry air are most at risk of receiving a static electricity shock through the ear buds, according to a warning posted on Apple's Web site. The post likened the condition to the discharge that occurs when a person drags his or her feet across a carpet then gets a shock by touching a door knob.
However, Apple asserted that this condition did not necessarily indicate that Apple's equipment was malfunctioning.
"This condition is not limited to Apple hardware and static can potentially build up on almost any hardware and could be discharged using any brand of earbuds," Apple said.
Apple's warning didn't mention what prompted the company to issue the warning, but a discussion thread on the company's support site showed a few users had voiced concern about the condition.
"Maybe it's just me but for a couple of weeks now my earphones are delivering little electric shocks into my ears," wrote one reader. "I just wonder if anyone else is going through this issue."
Apple made several suggestions in the warning on how to remedy the condition when indoors, including the use of a humidifier to raise the moisture level of the air, hand lotions to moisturize dry skin, or an anti-static spray. The site also recommends users wear clothes made of natural fibers instead of synthetic fibers. When users are outdoors, Apple suggests users keep their device in a bag or a case to keep it out of the wind and refrain from frequently removing it from pockets as the rubbing may cause static buildup.

so if it happens with apple and it happens with other earbuds... what does this mean?
It means they took a crappy cost cut in their deisgn and the output stage is coupled via capacitance.
If you dont know a capacitor acts like a tiny rechargeable battery in that it stores energy but discharges quickly.
The up sides are size and cost. downside your earbuds shock your brains wich can cause damage and those shocks cause damage to the speakers.
BSD -  The Daemons Are No Longer Just Inside My Head.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
Re: Music from apple a "shocking" experience
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 09:06:10 am »
even the cheap $20 1gig mp3 players that run on AAA batteries have never given me a shock......

apple just loves to cut corners.... always has.... "save a chip and do it in software".... now its save a chip catch your laptop on fire.... save a chip zap your mp3 player listeners.... lol...

Offline Cobra

• Forum Member
  • I'm not me.
Re: Music from apple a "shocking" experience
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 12:26:55 am »
The zaps are probably, in actuality, computer code being inserted directly into your brain.

*bizt* ("Buy an iPhone")
*bzzt-zt* ("Send all of your money to us and give praise to the RIAA.")
Downloading is an addiction I do not want to give up.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Music from apple a "shocking" experience

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.02 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx