gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 29, 2024, 02:22:15 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX World  |  Site Feedback  |  Forum Ascii Issues
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Forum Ascii Issues  (Read 4568 times)

Offline RebelMX

• Core
Forum Ascii Issues
« on: October 10, 2010, 08:11:06 pm »
Hi,

I believe the charset setup in the forum template is probably set wrongly to UTF-8 and not US-ASCII.  As you can see from the thread:
https://forum.winmxworld.com/index.php?topic=10295.0.html

this was the text
Code: [Select]
#c7#·´¯ìÍ[` #c1#Ríçh¥ #c8#´]Ìí¯`·
Hope someone can take a look.

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
Re: Forum Ascii Issues
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 08:24:21 pm »
Normally such things are Nyllys ballpark RebelMx, I believe the settings currently are utilised because they support the Japanese language pages we hold here and some other languages, would the setting you suggest also do that ?

Offline nylly444

• The /root of all evil ;-)
  • WMW Team
    • WinMX World
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 07:05:24 am »
Ghostship is right, it's not "wrongly" set to utf-8, it's been done on purpose to support ALL international characters.

We're not just here for the US people, you know?

You might wanna have a look at the international sections and you'll find out why :P

If you want ascii try posting the html entities, they might work or do what you've done above - use the code tag.
LINUX - Legendary Intelligent Needful Universal Xperienced

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 10:03:24 pm »
uhh... ascii is only 7 bit ... or 128 chars as seen here; http://www.asciitable.com/ (top image)

extended ascii (8 bit) has no actual 'set in stone' set of characters... dos does it different than mac classic.... which does it different from windows... which does it different from linux...

iso 8859-1 is the closest to what is commonly seen on winmx... but i doubt the character codes are the same... http://htmlhelp.com/reference/charset/

and using 8859-1 would ofc break multilingual support on the forum....

a bit of history.... the 'alt+numeric code' trick goes back to a function in the bios of the PC/XT .... it is by far not universal...

--edits typo goofs--

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 12:08:26 pm »
And he thinks he's a good programmer...
What you think is important is rarely urgent
But what you think is Urgent is rarely important

Just remember that...

Offline RebelMX

• Core
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 05:02:45 pm »
Whoever told you that Bluey?  since I have never pretended to be.  I can program well enough to write a basic (I emphasis this word) program from scratch (since I mainly get fed up writing the GUI in C) and can write program extensions/features and protocol from scratch.

Which is significantly more than your attempted regular digs at me which as yet are unfounded.  Notice the discussion was about html/php which is not a language I am proficient in, are you proficient in xml, C and html/php?  If so then lets help the community rather than just pick holes on the forum, which, is easily done from the shadows...

Thanks for clearing that up for me Stripes, I was confused that copying and pasting a simple WinMX name didnt show correctly when the letters show correctly in chat.  Not knowing the difference between the charsets was my mistake, easily done but I did state "I believe".

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 04:05:41 am »
the real nightmare with usernames using that extended ascii will come the day winmx clones go unicode.... the characters will still be usable... just will need to use a 16bit value for anything other than the original 7bit ascii characters... but it would be so nice to see japanese (and other languages) and english in the same window without kludging the font settings...

--edit-- removed test

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX World  |  Site Feedback  |  Forum Ascii Issues

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.022 seconds with 25 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx