gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 29, 2024, 02:44:23 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Canada as world ‘file-swapping capital’
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Canada as world ‘file-swapping capital’  (Read 582 times)

Offline p2p rules

• Forum Member
Canada as world ‘file-swapping capital’
« on: May 25, 2009, 07:05:14 pm »
“Canada’s failure to strengthen intellectual property rights (IPR) in the face of digital technology has given it an unwelcome reputation as the file-swapping capital of the world. Stronger intellectual property rights and enforcement are needed to protect new knowledge and shore up Canada’s poor innovation record, according to a series of Conference Board reports — released in advance of its May 29 conference Intellectual Property Rights: Innovation and Commercialization in Turbulent Times.

“As a result of lax regulation and enforcement, internet piracy appears to be on the increase in Canada. The estimated number of illicit downloads (1.3 billion) is 65 times higher than the number legal downloads (20 million), mirroring the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development’s conclusion that Canada has the highest per capita incidence of unauthorized file-swapping in the world.”

Are the quotes from another Hollywood and Big Music puff-piece?

They’re not, although they might well have been. They’re the introduction to a ‘press release’ from the Conference Board of Canada, headed up by Anne Golden (right).

As Michael Geist points out in a major exposé, the organisation bills itself as “the foremost, independent, not-for-profit applied research organization in Canada. Objective and non-partisan. We do not lobby for specific interests.”
p2pnet
Another bogus press release claiming that Canada is a piracy haven.  :suspious:

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
  • Linux:2003 FreeBSD:2004 Debian/BSD developer:2006
Re: Canada as world ‘file-swapping capital’
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 08:28:52 pm »
I find this interesting as canadian ISPs are the worst to put users on a 10 gig cap.
BSD -  The Daemons Are No Longer Just Inside My Head.

Offline DaBees-Knees

• WMW Team
Re: Canada as world ‘file-swapping capital’
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 07:04:23 pm »
" We do not lobby for specific interests."......... I find this very hard to believe, but then I'm an old cynic.   :whistle:

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Canada as world ‘file-swapping capital’

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx