gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 29, 2024, 01:32:44 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  UK News - BT To Offer Faster Speeds
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: UK News - BT To Offer Faster Speeds  (Read 605 times)

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
UK News - BT To Offer Faster Speeds
« on: June 04, 2009, 09:43:02 am »
Although slightly slower and over a longer period than that which they claimed would be the case last year, BT are rolling out one of the upgrades they promised.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8081226.stm

BT Broadband is boosting the speeds of millions of its customers to up to 20 megabits per second at no extra cost.The rollout is part of the firm's planned upgrade of lines to so-called ADSL2+ technology. The firm said the rollout would start with 40% of the UK this summer and reach 55% of customers by March 2010.

Earlier this week BT was criticised when it was revealed it cut the speed of customers on its cheapest broadband package to below 1Mbps in peak hours when using services like the iPlayer and YouTube. That so-called traffic management will remain in place with the new speeds.
Download caps for the cheapest two packages, of 10 gigabytes and 20 gigabytes, will also continue, the firm said.
In a statement, Gavin Patterson, chief executive officer, BT Retail, said: "Unlike other providers, BT is upgrading customers to 20Mb/s for free.

Free ??? I don't think its free when its merely what they already promised folks last year before they signed lengthy contracts, its part of what was offered and folks paid for it with their custom, that aside its still a good thing although BT are blown out of the water by Be Broadband who have already been offering these high speeds with no caps or throttling, other rivals such as Virgin are also disrupting the user experience so my money is on the smaller guys at "Be" for the better deal in the short term.

Offline bu44er

• Forum Member
  • Hack The Planet
Re: UK News - BT To Offer Faster Speeds
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 02:19:35 pm »
I am a customer with BT on one of their Business Packages. I asked them about this 20Mbps upgrade and they said it would mainly start off in London and hopefully work its way up to me lol. No prmises
System(s) Configuration
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo T4500 CPU @ 2.3Ghz, 2048MB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit

Offline DaBees-Knees

• WMW Team
Re: UK News - BT To Offer Faster Speeds
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 02:32:59 pm »
Making promises about upgrades seems to be the name of the game with the larger ISPs at the moment. They're not so keen to mention the fact that the downside means even more vicious throttling for a lot of their users in the future.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  UK News - BT To Offer Faster Speeds

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.026 seconds with 21 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx