gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 28, 2024, 11:28:07 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Make Net Neutrality real
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Make Net Neutrality real  (Read 688 times)

Offline p2p rules

• Forum Member
Make Net Neutrality real
« on: June 07, 2009, 06:05:19 pm »
Net Neutrality equals a cyberspace highway which is, as the Wikipedia describes it, “free of restrictions on content, sites, or platforms, on the kinds of equipment that may be attached, and on the modes of communication allowed, as well as one where communication is not unreasonably degraded by other communication streams”.

With that in the wings, tomorrow will see the kickoff for SaveOurNet.ca’s Open Internet Town Halls running in Toronto, Ottawa and Vancouver.

The idea is to spark discussions about the future of the Internet.

p2pnet, together with the Real News Network, rabble.ca, TheTyee.ca, Beyond Robson, and StraightGoods, will be streaming the Toronto event live on Monday.

Speakers at the various meetings include Ottawa law professor Michael Geist, NDP digital affairs critic Charlie Angus, Mark Surman, executive director, Mozilla Foundation, Rocky Gaudrault, CEO, Teksavvy Solutions, and Bill St. Arnaud, chief research officer, CANARIE.

More on that tomorrow.

Meanwhile, also speaking, and feeling very nervous about it, will be  Steve Anderson, co-founder of SaveOurNet, and one of the organisers.
p2pnet
More info is available here.

Offline p2p rules

• Forum Member
Re: Make Net Neutrality real
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 08:41:08 pm »
Last night’s live video broadcast from Toronto, the first of three SaveOurNet.ca Open Internet Town Halls, was disappointing.

p2pnet, together with the Real News Network, rabble.ca, TheTyee.ca, Beyond Robson, StraightGoods, The Georgia Straight and MichaelGeist.ca, carried code which theoretically allowed readers to watch the town hall meeting, meant to promote discussion about the future of the Internet.

But although broadcast was fine when  I could see it, for me, it was jerky and patchy, and I gave up after half-an-hour.

I also tried to join in via the chat, but had the same experience as Devil’s Advocate who posted, “the CAPTCHA is totally fsked”.

But none of this detracts from the event itself which was, and still is, a great idea. And from what little I could see, the people who were lucky enough to be actually in the audience instead of online got a lot out of it.

Rabble.ca  has a 116:44 minutes (133.59 MB) of audio.
p2pnet
The next event will be in Ottawa on Wednesday June 10, 2009, 7:00pm @ the Ottawa Public Library Main Branch (120 Metcalfe St).
Speakers:
Professor Michael Geist
Charlie Angus
Rocky Gaudrault
Bill St. Arnaud – chief research officer, CANARIE
Discussion facilitator: Marita Moll – TeleCommunities Canada
http://saveournet.ca/ottawa

Offline p2p rules

• Forum Member
Re: Make Net Neutrality real
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 08:35:14 pm »
Monday’s live video broadcast from Toronto, the first of three SaveOurNet.ca Open Internet Town Halls, was was a bit of a viewing disaster.

But as far as I know, the second event scheduled for Ottawa tonight, won’t be featured as a video.

Be that as it may, p2pnet reader Robert says he’s planning on being there and has offered to take questions for p2pnet readers.

“I doubt I’ll have much time so they should be few and concise,” he says in an email, adding:

“It’s a shame members of industry on the opposition won’t be there … then we could really drill them to shed light on how little they know.

“I hope to leave work by 17:00 EST, so any questions should be in before then.”

Robert will be watching this item so either leave a question as a comment, or get in touch with him directly –  satchboogieca at yahoo dot ca.
p2pnet
I might go check out the event. I'm still debating with myself if I'm going to it or not.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Make Net Neutrality real

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.018 seconds with 21 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx