gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 19, 2024, 03:48:38 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Microsoft to give away anti-virus software
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Microsoft to give away anti-virus software  (Read 627 times)

Offline DaBees-Knees

• WMW Team
Microsoft to give away anti-virus software
« on: June 13, 2009, 09:14:11 am »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8095932.stm

Microsoft is poised to start giving away security software. The company is reportedly trialling free anti-virus software internally and said the beta version would be released "soon". Called Morro, the software will tackle viruses but lack the broader range of utilities, such as parental locks, found in paid-for security suites. Morro will be Microsoft's second venture in the highly competitive security market.
Microsoft's first attempt revolved around the Windows Live OneCare service that did not succeed in turning many customers away from rivals such as Symantec and McAfee.

Microsoft plans to discontinue Live OneCare once the Morro software is ready. No specific date has been given for when Morro will be released, but in the past Microsoft has said it would be out by the end of 2009 at the latest. Microsoft said Morro would tackle viruses, spyware, rootkits and trojans.

Janice Chaffin, Symantec's president of consumer products, said customers wanted more than just basic protection. "A full internet security suite is what consumers require today to stay fully protected," she said.

Security software for home PCs typically cost around £30-40 and often allow users to install protections on more than one computer.
Other companies, such as AVG and Alwil already produce and distribute free anti-virus products.

Fake help
In its latest update, Microsoft added code that detects and deletes the widespread Internet Antivirus Pro family of fake security software programs. Such programs, also known as scareware, have been proving more popular with hi-tech criminals in recent months. The Anti-Phishing Working Group estimated that there were 9,287 bogus anti-malware program in circulation in December 2008 - a rise of 225% since January 2008. In addition, the Internet Antivirus Pro software displays fake Windows security messages to try and trick people into thinking the product is legitimate. The software also contains a password stealer that watches where people go online and grabs login data.

We'll have to wait and see if it's worth having, but at least it's free.

Offline Trestor

• Forum Member
  • Your call is important to us ...
Re: Microsoft to give away anti-virus software
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 04:22:55 pm »
I hope they don't shoot themselves in the foot by making it incompatible with other virus detectors. If I had to choose, I wouldn't choose theirs but would go with a more complete software.

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
  • Linux:2003 FreeBSD:2004 Debian/BSD developer:2006
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 07:45:32 pm »
Windows defender doesnt interfere with anything so i dont see why morro would.
BSD -  The Daemons Are No Longer Just Inside My Head.

Offline Cobra

• Forum Member
  • I'm not me.
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 08:12:43 pm »
They made a typo:

Microsoft to give away anti-virus software spyware.
Downloading is an addiction I do not want to give up.

Offline Trestor

• Forum Member
  • Your call is important to us ...
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 03:24:20 am »
Windows defender doesnt interfere with anything so i dont see why morro would.

True enough, but my concern is based upon that MS sometimes tries to monopolize things for themselves.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Microsoft to give away anti-virus software

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.019 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx