gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 19, 2024, 10:05:02 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  Think Tank  |  Twitter
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Twitter  (Read 10147 times)

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
  • Linux:2003 FreeBSD:2004 Debian/BSD developer:2006
Re: Twitter
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2009, 07:40:11 pm »
that myspace was made jun 29th there has been a winmx group on myspace for several years.
I do not suggest adding these as friends as that directly links you to winmx.
BSD -  The Daemons Are No Longer Just Inside My Head.

Offline Josh

• Forum Member
  • Thinking about tomorrow...
    • http://www.winmxunlimited.net
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2009, 07:37:45 pm »
Regarding the whole Twitter thing, I created those accounts as a starting point for a new project I'M creating. I was hoping to get a group of 5 to 10 individuals that use WinMX to help promote it and kind of advertise WinMX.

I know that we have gone over the whole "advertising" thing many times, but just sitting around waiting for something to happen is not going to help WinMX anytime soon. We actually need to DO something now, or at least plan it out and set a date.

Currently I'M working on a Twitter bot, all it basically does is if anyone tweets about using limewire, ares, bearshare etc. It will send them a friendly message telling them the disadvantages of Limewire, Ares, etc. and also tell them about how WinMX protects them, and a link to get it.

This is only one aspect of the whole idea, but if we could just get a group of people together, maybe make a new group on the forum and a section for it, we could possibly get WinMX back on track to where it needs to be.

- Josh

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2009, 08:15:17 pm »
Thats an interesting idea but i have a feeling twitter will ban the bot lol

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2009, 09:23:12 pm »
i have a funny feeling it will be banned as well.... and as i said before the basicly complete lack of english speaking uploaders is going to be a big 'turn off' for the masses...

methinks the japanese own the MX... at least at this point in time...

Offline Josh

• Forum Member
  • Thinking about tomorrow...
    • http://www.winmxunlimited.net
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2009, 09:31:31 pm »
Well it's worth a try, if it gets banned oh well, that idea is done. We just need to come up with ideas on how to inform the public that WinMX is still alive and it's worth using.

Yahoo answers is another great opportunity but it comes with a price of being a very high maintenance job. I have racked up more than 5000 points on there pointing people that ask questions like "What other places besides limewire can I download music?", and I give them a link to WinMX and you're all done. It's just it's very time consuming due to the amount of these kind of questions.

But if you have more ideas please share.
- Josh

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2009, 11:01:08 pm »
But if you have more ideas please share.

a reeducation course on fileshare etiquette (in other words using the bandwidth throttle properly and using it to 'level out' the bandwidth between multiple open slots instead of just having one slot open with 200+ in queue.... found one user with a staggering 1287 in queue...)

a new version of leechammer would be nice.... one that could detect the new 3 of 3 and 6 of 6 hacks and 1 slot users... (to be totally honest i dont have winmx installed anymore... got tired of uploading to ppl that were little more than leeches.... its a bit disheartening to download from other fileshare apps then try to 'share the love' on the mx only to get a slap across the face...)

i really doubt the majority of the ppl you answered 'winmx' to on yahoo stayed with it for very long...

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2009, 10:51:07 am »
I dont think thats the case atm Stripes, the pirate bay affair has seen many folks flood back to the network, especially older MX users who went to public torrent sites and are now concerned over their safety and security.

What I see here is the same old tired track to no where being shown, what we need is more folks working together to create a new client and no wasting time annoying and alienating folks with bots around the web, if ppl just got down to this important task and made an update the WinMX protocol based network could grow and expand and would receive plenty of publicity, doing nothing means we have no news and no rights to many aspects of publicising the WPN and thus are consigning ourselves to a slow death, I am surprised I,m having to repeat this common sense.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2009, 01:07:56 am »
..especially older MX users..

the ones that have used winmx before i would give you.... but i dont think many newbies are going to jump off the limewire and on to winmx... and the diehard torrent fans arent either.... thats what other torrent sites are for (dont even need to change software)...

MX still has some seriously slim pickings... either that or i just have some seriously bad luck with primaries... but its not just me cos there are quite a few leaving MX...

and very few are making any efforts towards a new client.... and if i could program i would be... but i would only have 'WPN' as a 'compatible' mode in whatever new client i created...

biggest problem -now- with a new app is theres no longer a chance to make a gradual transition to newer transfer methods and the break away from the 2gig size and 5000/3000 count limit.... so if it were jumped on now it would either always be lagging behind the times or would 'instantly' make the original MX obsolete... neither of which a popular option... (even a conversion to unicode would potentially damage the search function)

that being said winmx is dieing a slow death or already has depending on how you look at it.... but only in the 'west' ..... the 'east' is having quite the fun time with it it seems.... same as ares being extremely popular -- in south america (se habla español?)...

and a new client would eventually evolve (i hope to hell it evolves anyway) into something that wouldnt even be compatible with the old winmx client due to modern functionality (hopefully) being added thats just taken for granted in other p2p... ('out of order' encrypted multisource transfers... unicode search... unicode chat system... etc...) it wouldnt be winmx... that app died when the source wasnt FOSSd in 2005... and i have my doubts about the new client... in whatever form it may come... becoming as popular as the real winmx app once was...

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2009, 01:38:05 am »
but see, winmx fame wasnt winmx. It was being an awsome open nap client. the wpn was added later and people moved off onto it already having the client and since no server was needed it was indeed much faster and produced better results. In otherwords the userbase already existed and was stolen from another network type. a modern (yes GS this is hypothetical) would be utorrent releasing a new update that had the wpn as its built in search function and wallah 30 thousand users or more all on a new network.

Offline Stevi

• #1 DJ
  • MX Hosts
  • Ooops! I blew up the commercials!
    • WinMX Radio
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2009, 05:05:55 am »
In order for a new client to be successful, it will need to allow torrent downloading. Limewire and Frostwire are becoming more popular because of this feature. If users are able to do everything from one client, they are going to download that client. Also you will have those out there that refuse to change clients. So making it compatible with like the WPN, Ares network, and others, might be something to look into.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2009, 06:11:08 am »
heh... torrent and mx dont play well together.... tho it would be interesting to use the mx to share .torrent files.. >.>

aaanyway.... i never used the 'opennap' part of mx ... i held on to napster (the original one) till the bitter end then moved to IRC channels (anyone remember SPR Jukebox?) after the chat servers started closing down the mp3 and sharing rooms and the room drama in general ('chat' and 'fileshareing' dont go well together... either one or the other but not both...) i downloaded kazaa.... found that kazaa didnt play well with my at-the-time-system that was a 133mhz p1 with 32mb ram running win95 so i looked around for a 'lite' p2p application.... winmx 3.31 just happened to fit that description.... lol... had i a faster machine at the time i never would have even been on MX in the first place.... esp if i found bittorrent before the onslaught of kazaa lawsuits....

guess i hang on to winmx for some of the same nostalga quite a few others do.... tho granted i never clicked the 'chat' button (no more drama for me... k thx... IRC sharing did enough of that) till after the shutdown and have met some of the most interesting ppl in doing so.... just look for the rooms that dont care if you are using the MX or a chat client and youve got a good room of folks to just chat with.. granted drama still happenes but it doesnt cut off your download....

kinda funny to be chatting on robomx with bittorrent running in the background :lol:

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2009, 06:33:12 am »
@Xapien (last post of mine was delayed and ment to a reply to bacon/forested); id love to see the blocklist for that client o.o ... btw, ares already does .torrent so... im not sure youd be able to convince too many to switch just to get 'winmx' functionality.... youd mostly just be bringing the die-hard winmxrs into the other networks... and im not too sure they would go for it... :/  the blocklist team would be... stressed... to say the least...

Offline Stevi

• #1 DJ
  • MX Hosts
    • WinMX Radio
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2009, 06:51:54 am »
I know. I am not leaving WinMX. I have been using it for a very long time. I have tried Ares, didnt like it. When I am downloading large files, I download them from torrents., but if I am downloading a song or 2, I use WinMX. The friends that I have made on WinMX also keep me on. Everyone I met on Ares was just stuck-up and I wanted to jump through the internet and punch them.

The information in my previous post was for anyone willing to make another client. I gave my input on what it may need because of the fast development on the other p2p programs. Almost all of them accept torrent downloads, and the only thing they dont support is cross connection. If p2p is going to survive, I feel as though the networks should join together and create something grand.

Offline birdman

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2009, 07:13:39 am »
Maybe it would be an idea to put the feelers out for a programer to move winmx forward i mean posting on the many p2p forums "programer wanted" there has to be someone out there just itching to get into a new project just waiting for the oppurtunity, there is still a good user base on winmx i see my queue full 24/7 surely its worth the effort ?

Offline Stevi

• #1 DJ
  • MX Hosts
    • WinMX Radio
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2009, 07:25:06 am »
There are plenty of programmers on WinMX. Without the source it is a difficult and long process to create a new WinMX version.

Offline birdman

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2009, 07:37:10 am »
Then a new client needs to be created maybe still named something along the lines of winmx with same kind of functuality but better, if theres no one within the winmx comunity willing to do this then maybe its time to look outside, in other words no more talk about possibilities but more productive action ?

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2009, 09:30:37 am »
@birdman; there are enough in the winmx community technically (all it would really take is one really bored individual.... and i can think of 2 of em that could pull off a full client.... unfortunatly those two dont speak the same programming language...) but dont forget the 'compatibility' problem.... 'same kind of functionality but better'? specify what it is you consider 'same functionality but better'...

also; by 'you' i mean any 'you' that decides to reply to that question and by 'same functionality but better' what would that be from a non-technical end-users point of view.... i ask it in that context cos i have the "well... cant do that because of...." problem of not seeing it from the non technical side....

as an interesting(?) aside... ive never chatted to anyone on any other p2p ive used but winmx.... dont really have a desire to... (and if winmx were still being maintained by frontcode i still would never have used the chat function and PMs would still be blocked)... so i have no clue what the ppl on ares are like... i just know there are files to be downloaded... lol..

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2009, 09:35:01 am »
Exactly Birdman, I have been studying the mechanics of creating a client for nearly a year now and I,m still only half way completed because I,m going into everything blind with no one to guide me, that hasn't stopped me crafting together something that's looking pretty similar to mx look and feel out of published open source but just think where we could be now if others got around the table who actually knew what they where doing and how to program in a more efficient fashion, don't get me wrong I will continue to tweak edit and do whatever needs to be done to deliver something for us but one or two coders would see the possibility of a new client in less that two months, this is the truth of the matter, we have the research/overview material they need  to hand but unless they step up we are as they say "using a thimble to fill a bucket".

I wont delude you folks if I don't get help its going to take maybe another year before you see something completed enough for release, i work full time and get two days a week to get some activity done and sometimes the whole day is wasted following up something that's completely useless, frustration is the worst enemy, let this be one last appeal to save some of my sanity, lets see some coders offer their services.

Btw folks on another topic : Torrents are inherently insecure, you,ll notice that millions of folks get a stern sounding letter through their doors because they joined a torrent and had their IP logged and you can be sure many of those folks sharing with you in the swarm are MPAA/RIAA paid lackeys like media defender/bay TSP who make money out of selling your info to the Cartel lawyers, some poor folks even get a knock on the door because its so easy to track who has all the file, if your that desperate for a movie/album that your willing to put your liberty on the line can I suggest the local store ?

When Kevin Created WinMX he added some excellent security features and though some have worn thin over the years they are still there and doing their job to protect your privacy, whilst nothing in this world is guaranteed for a programme that so old this is one of the better ones when it comes to safeguarding that privacy in a large measure, the proof of the pudding is simply this, when was the last time you heard of a WinMX user receiving a letter from the Copyright extremist Cartels ?
Compare this to the 20,000 a week they send out to torrrent users by their own admission.

Need I say more ?

Offline birdman

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2009, 10:10:36 am »
Ok so there we go a client is in the working but needs some help who is going to step up to the challenge and help ghost  ?

Offline birdman

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2009, 10:17:32 am »
@stripes  By "better functuality"  i mean many of the bug fixs and limits removed that so many mention on these forums, somthing that can be modified when needed to meet whatever circumstances appear but to achieve this it appears ghost needs some help to deliver what he has already started. Sadly i have no programing knowledge otherwise i would offer to help i just hope one or two people with the ability will help ghost and deliver us into a new era sooner rather than later.

As regards compatability with current winmx this could be setup as a transition, two networks in the short term  (with eventual current winmx network closing) while people have time to move over to the new client it may make it easier to make the new client name winmx  4   or something most people who use winmx will identify as being a new version and wil move to it without prompting. It would not take long for the word to spread around the chat rooms obviosly there could be issues with bots and chat servers with a new client i dunno but i would think most people would jump at a new winmx.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  Think Tank  |  Twitter

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.022 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx