gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 18, 2024, 04:17:49 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  By end of 2010, P2P will be history
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: By end of 2010, P2P will be history  (Read 1405 times)

Offline DaBees-Knees

• WMW Team
By end of 2010, P2P will be history
« on: July 06, 2009, 09:25:58 pm »
http://www.slyck.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=47804

Things are moving fast now. Record industry just took over 50 % of torrents. They'll leave them run a little to investigate and find out who the major players are. I'm quite sure they've been doing that for a lot longer than people realize. I think they will bring down the entire network in the next year or so. They've got a plan and we don't. There game plan is confusion and division. They are going to divide us with all these fake sites and while we are running around from one fake site to another, they've effectively divided us. The reason why TPB was so strong is that it had 20 million users per month, that's unity. Tons and tons of files at our fingertips.

Sure it might say thepiratebay, but in the future, will you be able to get on there and get anything you want? No. The gameplan for the RIAA isn't to make a dent into P2P but to bring it down completely any way necessary and if they have to tell you that P2P will go on, then that's what they'll do. They'll play around and tell you what you want to hear but when profit is the final goal, don't expect to be able to download what you want (not without a subscription fee). And even if you are willing to put up the $30/month subscription fee, do you think some of the more rare albums will be available? Lets say you like electronic metal, I can't remember what's it called....wumpscut, and the more rare stuff, I doubt it will be available.

Am I just a pessimist? Are you guys willing to pay $20 - $40/month to download what you want? Isn't that what Usenet is already? I'm not willing to pay that. $20/month is probably what the average user in 1995 probably paid for music and entertainment anyway, so it's win situation for the music industry.

If it wasn't for P2P, I would have never learned to program or read about forex. Or learn how to play poker. There is so many things that I've learned and read from P2P, it's insane. I've read so many e-books. It's a library. If P2P goes away and turns into a shopping mall, we will be in the dark. Invention will be finished. The little guy will be done. Rags to riches stories will become a thing of the past. All the patents will be owned by the corporations. They will tell you what they want you to know and nothing more. Is that what you want? You either love them or you're finished in society. That's how it will be. In the future, they'll blackball you if you cross them enough. Right now, if you screw over one bank, you can go to another one. What if there is only one bank or one ISP or what if one company owns nearly everything which is where we are headed. You screw over that company and you're finished in society, you might as well jump off a building.

A rather depressing view there, but not one I would agree with. For a start, there is a difference between sites that earn money and those that are run by the users. Also there have been tales of woe that have occurred in the past, only to see Phoenix rise from the ashes. The ingenuity of the worlds users is something I have great faith in.  :butt:  

Offline ñòóKýçrÕôK

• my name is nooks, and I approve this message
  • MX Hosts
  • Dream BIG, Live BIGGER!!
Re: By end of 2010, P2P will be history
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 02:48:11 pm »
Someone should probably wish them luck with that since p2p has been around longer than filesharing programs have been.  :secret:
When you wake up each morning always try to remember tomorrow is never your option, it's God's. Love like you want to. Live like you aren't afraid. And ALWAYS try to remember that even if it seems personal it's never as important as something you may have forgotten to do today.

WinMXWorld.com Help_AE182F4EBABE - For WinMX help or help on other pc related matters.
WinMXWorld.com Cafe_AE182F4ECAFE - For great chat.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 07:27:39 pm »
anyone still have their dual tape deck with highspeed dubbing and dolby NR features? ;)
ahh those were the days....

Offline ñòóKýçrÕôK

• MX Hosts
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 01:27:31 am »
I DEFINATELY remember those days. Still have a highspeed dubber not 10ft away from me. It has a record player on it even and it still works. I can take my records to cassette tape or run it through my pc and rip them to digital, lol. P2P will never died, UNLESS, they do away with the internet, they do away with radios, TV, computers, every form of digital media available today, take out peoples tounges, and take away their eyesight. Otherwise we'll still be discussing this topic in 2011, lol.
When you wake up each morning always try to remember tomorrow is never your option, it's God's. Love like you want to. Live like you aren't afraid. And ALWAYS try to remember that even if it seems personal it's never as important as something you may have forgotten to do today.

WinMXWorld.com Help_AE182F4EBABE - For WinMX help or help on other pc related matters.

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
  • Linux:2003 FreeBSD:2004 Debian/BSD developer:2006
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 08:47:54 pm »
digital media available today,

cassettes are analogue >.>
BSD -  The Daemons Are No Longer Just Inside My Head.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 07:02:20 am »
digital media available today,

cassettes are analogue >.>

lol, ah to be young... before digital media and the web we had 'tapes' .... you left the original in the 'play' deck and got a bunch of blank cassettes with times that closely as possible matched the original (they came in flavours of C15 C30 C60 and C120 ... tho C120 was dangerous to use with car decks because it was physically thinner and easier to break)... copied them using 'high speed dubbing' which, in the decks that supported that function, was a single motor that drove both decks to prevent speed differences and  it was simply sped up to cut the copying time usually a little less than half... it differered from deck to deck... then you gave em out by hand... often, but not always if you just wanted to make the copy cos your friend just "had to hear this group", with that friend giving you either a tape they copied or at least a blank tape for the effort.... later it was CD to cassette if you had a CD player.... still handed out by hand... because at this time the internet was 'readily' available (at either 14.4 or 28.8k.... later 33.6...) but... er.... internet p2p apps were still a 'napster' away.... and not to mention that early freeware mp3 encoders were horrid.... (anyone remember bladeenc's early days?)... and the ripping of CDs more an art than a science.... (sometimes the drive just couldnt do it and you had to do an 'analog copy' through the soundcard while the disc played)

VHS was done similar (tho to a lesser extent) with a 'macrovision remover' box (usually called video stabilisers... i think they are still sold as well... and they do have a legit purpose beyond copying... a great example being very old TV sets or the composite color monitors designed for apple2 machines... it -really- messes the 'greenscreen' apple2 display up... commodore monitors dont seem to have a problem with it tho... but im getting off topic...) if you owned 2 VCRs...

p2p was 'person to person' before napster came along.... tho just called 'sharing'...

Offline ñòóKýçrÕôK

• MX Hosts
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 10:42:52 am »
Back in the day when you shared your stuff copyrite enfringement was considered that if I bought a cd and you wanted one of the songs and I sold it to you for say $1 and kept that $1 to myself I violated copyrite. But I could give copies of music I had bought away all day and never violate. Wasn't till after the end of the real Napster they changed them to just copying any media is enfringement.

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
  • Linux:2003 FreeBSD:2004 Debian/BSD developer:2006
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 06:38:50 pm »
watch a movie it still only prohibits venues and sales.
BSD -  The Daemons Are No Longer Just Inside My Head.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 08:56:36 pm »
"unauthorised reproduction" or "unauthorised copying" is stated as well... not just in the FBI warning 'splash screen' on movies but along the edge of the disc... both video and audio....

rather ambiguous wording... since 'unauthorised' is not defined they can redefine it as they wish...and they have, many times... unfortunately...

'fair use' is also unfortunately a bit ambiguous...

tho as many have said and many more will say; "copyright law is screwed up"

[shameless plug] creative commons anyone? www.creativecommons.com www.jamendo.com and of course you need a patent/licence free codec for it... whatever it is;  www.xiph.org (easier to make a decision when the terms are actually clear) [/shameless plug]

Offline Cobra

• Forum Member
  • I'm not me.
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 11:15:19 pm »
P2P will be completely eliminated by the end of 2010 the same way that the US war in Iraq was expected to end by 2005. Words are one thing; actions are another; being able to completely fulfill those actions, though, is a whole third ball game altogether that is (pardon the pun) in a completely different ballpark than the first two.
Downloading is an addiction I do not want to give up.

Offline ..Ñøßߥ..

• Core
  • We all wear masks... metaphorically speaking...
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 05:44:23 pm »
I remember the day my friend bought the first hi-fi style cd burner i had ever seen, it was a pioneer and cost well over £1000. I remember "taping" the charts as a kid, then using my twin decks to copy only the tracks i liked onto another tape. I came across a 7inch single in the loft the other day, it still had the woolworths price sticker on it, 79p :D

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  By end of 2010, P2P will be history

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.024 seconds with 24 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx