gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 28, 2024, 03:34:31 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX Connection Issues  |  Confused on how to install recommended patch
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Confused on how to install recommended patch  (Read 2486 times)

Libra

Confused on how to install recommended patch
« on: August 21, 2009, 05:11:48 am »
Hi,

I have Windows XPsp3 and WinMX 3.53 with a pie patch.  Since I'm afraid of the RIAA I don't share.  I think that the community patch protects us from the RIAA, so if I can install that I can share and be able to download some songs.

I noticed there is a setup file for version 3.53 and also an oledlg.dll file.

Can I remove the pie patch and place the oledlg.dll file into the WinMX folder and will that install the patch and work?

If I have to use the setup file, do I remove WinMX and then install, or do I install it over the top?  If I install it over the top does it retain all of my settings?

Also, I can't control the ports and use the selection "I can't do anything about it".  Does that work with the community patch?

Thank you for any help.

Sincerely, Libra

Libra

Re: Confused on how to install recommended patch
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 05:23:26 am »
I just realized I have WinMX version 3.31 and MX PiePatch 3.6.

I'd appreciate help with the above questions.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 05:47:20 am »
Can I remove the pie patch and place the oledlg.dll file into the WinMX folder and will that install the patch and work?

yep

If I have to use the setup file, do I remove WinMX and then install, or do I install it over the top?

over the top

If I install it over the top does it retain all of my settings?

as long as the version you install over the top is the same... yes...

Also, I can't control the ports and use the selection "I can't do anything about it".  Does that work with the community patch?

yep

I just realized I have WinMX version 3.31.....

hmmm.... not sure if the community patch works with that version (doesn mean you cant give it a try tho)... would be wise to use a newer version of winmx anyway unless you have specific reasons not to...

Libra

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 10:29:32 pm »
Thank you very much for your reply.  I'll have to write down my settings in WinMX, then I'll remove the pie patch, remove WinMX 3.31 and install a new one.

In my current WinMX I have a file that connects me to open nap.  Can I still use that?  Does the new version do anything to my Hosts file?  I'm asking because after removing the pie patch I'd like to add items to the Hosts file.

Sincerely, Libra

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 01:50:43 am »
if the file that connects you to opennap is a 'wsx' file then you can re-import that into the new install and connect to your opennap servers like always...

the new patch doesnt add anything at all to the hosts file (it doesnt need to)... the installer will remove the piepatch entries to make sure everything works right but thats it....

if you have another winmx program (chat server, bot, etc) that wont connect after you remove the piepatch you can use the ws2_32.dll thats on the patch page to get that program to connect again...

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 10:36:55 am »
The patch available at patch.winmxconex.com will walk you threw the process of uninstalling MXpie patch's and any other conflicting or un-needed software like Peer guardian. It will keep you settings file intact and will update you to either 3.53 or 3.54. You can Manually add the patch to to your winmx folder and 3.31 but the update bar doesnt work(meaning we cant advise you of important updates without you checking the site continually) and we dont advise using this version due to buffer overflow attacks that can be carried out by unwanted folks, so it was chosen by us to no longer support this version and i personally advice you to at least jump to 3.53 if you dont like 3.54.
The Solution to 99% of winmx problems

nap.winmxgroup.net        -ONLINE again YAY!!!!!! :D

Praise's daily at the church of "Kopimi"

Libra

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 12:11:30 am »
Hi,

I want to thank you for all of your advice.  I manually removed the pie patch and removed WinMX 3.31.  I checked the hosts file and removed some additional WinMX lists and used HostsExpert to import the MVPS Hosts file.

I then installed WinMX 3.53 and got walked through the settings.  I had to state I couldn't do anything about the ports and I'm set up as secondary.  I searched for and downloaded a song!   I have some questions:

ZA prompted for Server rights for WinMX.  Is this required because I don't remember giving server rights in the past, although I did this time.  Also, I  noticed that ZA said that my TCP/IP program had changed.  Did this happen when the wizard was setting it up (I think I remember having to give TCP/IP rights).

One last question.  How do I know I am protected from the RIAA.? I didn't share my files, but I think it would be a good thing to do if the RIAA can't find me.

Thank you again for all your help.  I appreciate it.

Sincerely, Libra

Offline bu44er

• Forum Member
  • Hack The Planet
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 07:49:11 am »
One of  the advantages of using the Winmx Community Patch is that it blocks the RIAA and MPAA from accessing the Network. Your are 100% safe sharing your files, no one from the RIAA will bother you in any way.
System(s) Configuration
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo T4500 CPU @ 2.3Ghz, 2048MB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit

Offline Stevi

• #1 DJ
  • MX Hosts
  • Ooops! I blew up the commercials!
    • WinMX Radio
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 05:24:48 pm »
ZA will prompt you when anything changes that effects the Internet usage. As long as you trust the program, you should click Yes or Allow. I am not sure about the TCP/IP program, but I am sure everything is safe.

Mostly primaries are the ones that block out the RIAA, so unless you are connected as a primary, you wont really be able to see anything. But, here is how you do. Up in the update bar you will see, <FSR=? BC=?>. Those stand for Fake Search Results and Blocked Connections. Primaries will see the numbers change, however, secondaries will only see 0 all the time.

Hope this helps.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX Connection Issues  |  Confused on how to install recommended patch

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.021 seconds with 24 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx