gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 20, 2024, 05:31:24 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Video and Audio Help  |  Audio Help  |  cheap mp3 players
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: cheap mp3 players  (Read 4604 times)

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
cheap mp3 players
« on: September 24, 2017, 05:46:51 am »
do you have one of those cheap mp3 players? you know the kind.. they have around 1 to 4gigs of flash.. cost about 10$ at most... use either a single AAA cell or have a tiny lithium-ion that gets around 5hrs of play time.. and you mostly use it in your car... or at the gym...

this will be much more handy to those with the 1gig units than the 4 but every little byte counts...

mp3 has severe aliasing problems with any frequency above around 16khz .. the same cutoff point that the FM radio broadcasts to you... so in encoding it very much 'muffles' those sounds and completely does away with the highest frequencies... with a high-end hi-fi you'll notice.. in a car? not so much... after all the radio stations are getting away with this trick ;)

ok so whats the point? to save data and cram more music on that cheap little player in a way that sounds not half bad...

specifically we feed this to the 'lame' mp3 encoder;  lame -h -V 5  --resample 32000 --lowpass -1 input.wav output.mp3

what? ok heres the breakdown.... '-h' is for high quality... you should add this to any encoding.... '-V 5' is the variable bitrate range of around 96 to 112kbit we can get away with since we are cutting the frequencies above 16khz with '--resample 32000' and since we are cutting those frequencies the lowpass filter can be disabled with '--lowpass -1'

the lowpass filter being disabled gives better quality highs on a 32khz file compared to the 44khz file where disabling the filter presents aliasing effects even into 320kbps ... variable bitrate saves data overall allowing more music to be crammed into the player... in my own experimenting i saved around 900kb to 1mb per 4mins of music encoded... and this does add up... given the bonus that the music sounds better its win win overall...

why did i write this? well.. i was really bored... and tinkering with the lame encoder trying to rid it of both filtering and aliasing... this was the only way i found to do that and stay in the mp3 iso spec.. just so happens it saves quite a bit of disk space in the process.. so those really old 'thumb drive' mp3 players still have a use...

oh... and as for a 44khz file without aliasing... well... that would be;

lame -h --freeformat -b 640 -m d --lowpass -1 input.wav output.mp3

sounds perfect... but takes up about half the space of the flac file i encoded it from and doesnt work in all decoders... actually doesnt work in most decoders... and yes, thats 320kbit per channel... same as a mono 320kbit... ..its just wasteful and something mp3 cant really do... ..tho if you try this and find that your mp3-only portable player can actually decode it then.. well.. enjoy :P

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
Re: cheap mp3 players
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 09:00:05 am »
You rotter Stripes  :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was just following your instructions mentally and read the last few lines, I believe the short text for this is to remind folks that there other formats available and that they should give them a try before settling on MP3..

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
Re: cheap mp3 players
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 06:59:36 pm »
eh... it was for fun cos for one mp3 is no longer encumbered by patents and for those who may have a few of these; http://www.dansdata.com/usbmp3.htm kicking around... i have one that was made by a company that doesn't even exist anymore... note the date on that site ;)

in reality i have an android phone with VLC installed so i can play any media format that fits on its SD card... which is mostly FLAC... ...interestingly midi is the one (and only) type i cant get it to play, which is odd since that was the standard for ringtones for so many many years...

oh and a bonus for those who have old players that claim 'mp4' format support... try putting an ogg vorbis tune on it... its often supported on those players but rarely if ever advertised as being supported...

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Video and Audio Help  |  Audio Help  |  cheap mp3 players

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.023 seconds with 24 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx