gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 19, 2024, 10:27:16 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  A (Pirate Bay) Warning
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: A (Pirate Bay) Warning  (Read 1069 times)

Offline DaBees-Knees

• WMW Team
A (Pirate Bay) Warning
« on: August 15, 2009, 10:01:04 am »
I am getting reports that the RIAA, or whoever, are putting up torrents on Pirate Bay that kill your PC. The example that was given to me was a case of downloading Malwarebytes Pro. As soon as the program was registered it shut down the PC and rebooted to the blue screen. It was then impossible to reboot in the safe mode. How extensive this problem is I am unaware at the moment.

DaBees-Knees

Offline ñòóKýçrÕôK

• my name is nooks, and I approve this message
  • MX Hosts
  • Dream BIG, Live BIGGER!!
Re: A (Pirate Bay) Warning
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 10:35:04 am »
Destruction of somene else's private property? Not to say that they absolutely wouldn't do it but I find it highly unlikely. Invasion of private property maybe. Is there an upload ip address for the torrent uploder? Ne interesting to investigate that as I thinkk if this did happen it was likely more operator error than an RIAA plot.
When you wake up each morning always try to remember tomorrow is never your option, it's God's. Love like you want to. Live like you aren't afraid. And ALWAYS try to remember that even if it seems personal it's never as important as something you may have forgotten to do today.

WinMXWorld.com Help_AE182F4EBABE - For WinMX help or help on other pc related matters.
WinMXWorld.com Cafe_AE182F4ECAFE - For great chat.

Offline DaBees-Knees

• WMW Team
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 10:47:11 am »
You may be right nooky. I only have the details that I gave and it's an early report. i tried to track down news items on the subject and couldn't find any.

Offline RReactor

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 06:54:13 pm »
hmm you think it was a user  that what you and knees think  how about i send you the app and you install it  and when your pc crashes  then you tell me it was a user error
RReactor

Offline MinersLantern

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 04:12:01 am »
Run anything you aquire on a virtual pc first, do it on the real one later?
Just a thought. I've been doing things that way for eons.
Less work removing viruses and trojans that way, if the malware messes it up, just delete the entire OS then recopy the original OS from your backup.
Takes all of 30 seconds.

Offline RReactor

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 09:49:01 pm »
i fixed it minerslantern no problem  just made the comment cause Mr superior thinks that  it was a user error and i wanted to put the invitation out to his  superior  mind to try it out and see what happens  seeing how it was not caught by a av and crashed  windows  immediately
RReactor

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 08:22:00 am »
Reactor, lets be nice to each other please, we have all had a crappy download before and its likely impossible to prove who uploaded it, best thing to do is inform the pirate bay operators and they will normally remove such items, Btw if you want a chat to discuss some of the recent events please contact me, no one here sits aloof, we do try our best to give common sense advice and testing out something designed to crash your PC is not something anyone should be doing unless they are a researcher or crazy  :)

Offline ñòóKýçrÕôK

• MX Hosts
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 12:35:02 pm »
RReactor I've downloaded plenty of apps with utorrent from pirate bay, mininova, all the torrent sites and never found a bad one. So yes when I see a report that a huge agency like the RIAA who no doubt go about dirty means of collecting info which is one thing, but to say they would estroy a user's private property and risk federal charges due to internet terrorism I think it's almost always going to be likely that a user made a mistake either installing, or operating some software that messed up their pc. User error is more common than any sort of "planned" destruction. Anything they could've put in a program to purposely destroy your pc would've been caught by your antivirus or whosever's antivirus before it was ever finished downloading.
When you wake up each morning always try to remember tomorrow is never your option, it's God's. Love like you want to. Live like you aren't afraid. And ALWAYS try to remember that even if it seems personal it's never as important as something you may have forgotten to do today.

WinMXWorld.com Help_AE182F4EBABE - For WinMX help or help on other pc related matters.

Offline ñòóKýçrÕôK

• MX Hosts
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 07:05:56 am »
Not sure who locked this but I'm unlocking it until someone can tell me differently and note why.

Offline DaBees-Knees

• WMW Team
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 07:10:55 am »
Nooky, I locked it. Because it was entering in to a futile back and forth. My object in making the original post was to try and give an early heads up of a potential problem. This can just as well be achieved with the subject locked.

DaBees-Knees

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  A (Pirate Bay) Warning

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.02 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx