gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 18, 2024, 10:28:11 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Hardware Hackers Create A Modular Motherboard
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Hardware Hackers Create A Modular Motherboard  (Read 800 times)

Offline DaBees-Knees

• WMW Team
Hardware Hackers Create A Modular Motherboard
« on: August 20, 2009, 06:12:55 am »
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/08/modular-motherboard/

An ambitious group of hardware hackers have taken the fundamental building blocks of computing and turned them inside out in an attempt to make PCs significantly more efficient.

The group has created a motherboard prototype that uses separate modules, each of which has its own processor, memory and storage. Each square cell in this design serves as a mini-motherboard and network node; the cells can allocate power and decide to accept or reject incoming transmissions and programs independently. Together, they form a networked cluster with significantly greater power than the individual modules.

The design, called the Illuminato X Machina, is vastly different from the separate processor,memory and storage components that govern the design of computers today.

“We are taking everything that goes into motherboard now and chopping it up,” says David Ackley,associate professor of computer science at the University of New Mexico and one of the contributors to the project. “We have a CPU, RAM, data storage and serial ports for connectivity on every two square inches.”

All very interesting and I have no doubt fun to do, but I'm not so sure how the results of this will eventually, if ever, spin off to the average user.  :gum:

Offline ..Ñøßߥ..

• Core
  • We all wear masks... metaphorically speaking...
Re: Hardware Hackers Create A Modular Motherboard
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 06:46:24 am »
Terminator flash back

Offline Cobra

• Forum Member
  • I'm not me.
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 10:19:56 pm »
An interesting read for sure. Another technology to "look forward to" even though it is probably many years away from becoming home-based commercial.
Downloading is an addiction I do not want to give up.

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
  • Linux:2003 FreeBSD:2004 Debian/BSD developer:2006
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 10:04:15 pm »
this ALMOST reminds me of the old sun systems.
BSD -  The Daemons Are No Longer Just Inside My Head.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 02:09:25 am »
this ALMOST reminds me of the old sun systems.

or like the old S100 bus systems that preceded them ;) (altair & imsai to name some better known systems)

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Hardware Hackers Create A Modular Motherboard

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx